Only 7 Black Students Got Into NY's Most Selective High School, Out of 895 Spots Only 7 out of 895

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
That’s the problem black parents think sending their kids to shytty public schools is enough. Nah u gotta get extra tutoring/ schooling and drill the importance of education. Teach your kids at home as much as possible.
This is not true.

Black parents, especially poor black parents, are essentially hostages of their neighborhood that they can't afford to move from.

People hate on charter schools but in most cases, that's the only alternative since the public education system is literally a human rights issue.

I live in Fort Greene and you'd thi k the public schools would be helped by the tax increase related to gentrification...nope.

Those parents are sending their kids to private schools and as a result no one of influence is able to check the complacency of the Board of Education.

I literally made a career change in order to fight for the rights of urban community students by being in a position to fight for those terrible teachers to be removed from the schools where they exhibit a lack of high expectations for Black and Latino students.

shyt is disheartening. My kids are currently in Success academy because it would be reckless of me to send them to the local schools.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
These c00n parents and they c00n kids

:mjlol: man they just want the best for those kids... If you graduate Stuyvesant you bound to get good job offers and college shyt...

but as time have proven with rich cacs rigging the system the same rules about merit may not apply...:mjpls:

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
Ever been to NYC you dumb fukks. Black and brown people in NYC are fukking geniuses. They not in because they are not being let in. PERIOD. My brother could code at 14. Ain't no one teach him that or push him to it. He just felt like it. NYC automatically educates people by proximity. Ask a 6th grade to take a test someone in the 11th grade would take in the south, and that 6th grader would dominate it. Education as a whole in NYC is significantly better. The problem is elite schools will be "elite" in their selection process.

They only looking for "target students" and unless they make all tests and acceptance criteria public (which they never will) we will have nikkas saying "blacks need to do better."
:mjlol: Stfu breh

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Ever been to NYC you dumb fukks. Black and brown people in NYC are fukking geniuses. They not in because they are not being let in. PERIOD. My brother could code at 14. Ain't no one teach him that or push him to it. He just felt like it. NYC automatically educates people by proximity. Ask a 6th grade to take a test someone in the 11th grade would take in the south, and that 6th grader would dominate it. Education as a whole in NYC is significantly better. The problem is elite schools will be "elite" in their selection process.

They only looking for "target students" and unless they make all tests and acceptance criteria public (which they never will) we will have nikkas saying "blacks need to do better."
bruh, thats why people leave NYC though on the flip side and move South and to the West.

I'm not denying you.

I KNOW we're smart.

I mean thats the entire premise of this movie :francis:

220px-Spider-Man_Into_the_Spider-Verse_%282018_poster%29.png

But at some point we gotta go to where caters to us. NYC caters to those with connections, money, and influence. Thats just a fact. And if you're lucky you literally have to be smarter than everyone else...you can't be average...and thats on top of just being incredibly lucky.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Who's culture? The mere existence of HBCU would be antithetical to your statement, wouldn't it?
Is HBCU's encoded into black american Culture the way education is drilled into other groups from birth?

Listen, you can think what you want. I think its irrefutable that we as African Americans have a long way to go as far as competing academically and I think the overwhelming majority are not born into having a head start the way others do. I think HBCU's are great. Thats college, How are we competing from pre k to 12th grade before we even have an opportunity to be accepted into an HBCU or otherwise? MY observations, in NYC, these other kids are being agressively pushed. accademically, financial literacy wise, ETC.

there is a cultural reason that 12 year olds are trained to run business in our community selling us all our household goods and by the time their 20 they own multiple locations, and we are their built in consumer base. We gotta catch up.

Steel

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC - ATL-MIA
This is not true.

Black parents, especially poor black parents, are essentially hostages of their neighborhood that they can't afford to move from.

People hate on charter schools but in most cases, that's the only alternative since the public education system is literally a human rights issue.

I live in Fort Greene and you'd thi k the public schools would be helped by the tax increase related to gentrification...nope.

Those parents are sending their kids to private schools and as a result no one of influence is able to check the complacency of the Board of Education.

I literally made a career change in order to fight for the rights of urban community students by being in a position to fight for those terrible teachers to be removed from the schools where they exhibit a lack of high expectations for Black and Latino students.

shyt is disheartening. My kids are currently in Success academy because it would be reckless of me to send them to the local schools.

My point was you cannot rely exclusively on the public school system to educate your kids. Parents especially black ones need to teach children at home or provide extra resources to teach them. Place and enforce high expectations of your children.

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
How close to 'Shrimp Lamborghini' levels of illiteracy is the average black youth? I distinctly remember people in my graduating class not being able to read simple passages during 4th period English. nikkas thought it was funny too. :francis:

Education was stressed in my house but it wasn't forced as hard as it should've been. 9 times out of 10, I had to make the choice to pick up a book myself because mom wasn't forcing me to read. As a result, I was reading at a 12th grade level in the 7th/8th grade (My own problem wasn't even intelligence. It was drive. I was put in Honors as early as 5th grade and flunked out because I just didn't care enough. If only I could go back in time smh. On a positive note, Mom still took full advantage of all those Gifted & Talented summer camps that I qualified for).

Most of these AA households have too much going on and are struggling to make ends meet as it is. I'd go as far as saying that if you don't have innate intelligence or curiosity as a black child, you're screwed if you don't have aptitude for making money in other ways.

This is the single most brutal fact Black people have to come to terms with, and combat..
The deck and chips are already stacked against us..being incurious and of average and below average intelligence wont cut it anymore.

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti
This is the US.

There are lots of racist everywhere. Being liberal doesn't make you not racist but a lot of white people think that for some reason.

You should have seen the nerve on some of these people to tell me they voted for Obama like it meant something.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
My point was you cannot rely exclusively on the public school system to educate your kids. Parents especially black ones need to teach children at home or provide extra resources to teach them. Place and enforce high expectations of your children.
Agreed...in theory.

My wife and I wish we could home school our children, but juggling all of the different responsibilities makes it seem like a mountain of a task.

This is coming from a man with a traditional family, help from my father in picking my boys up from school and help from my mother in law to take the baby sometimes to give us a chance to focus on our school boys.

Now... Imagine a single parent household or low income household where the parents have to work two jobs, or overtime to put food on the table and to get a plumber to fix what the NYCHA board fails to call back about regarding a leak under the sink?

What happens when a parent in the urban community has been failed by the same system so they may not even be aware enough of how damaging the lack of proper pedagogy in that public school is?

I see how stressed I get and I am blessed with help. I look at low income and single parents as fukking superheroes that I admire. I don't know how they aren't mentally broken after a month.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Ever been to NYC you dumb fukks. Black and brown people in NYC are fukking geniuses. They not in because they are not being let in. PERIOD. My brother could code at 14. Ain't no one teach him that or push him to it. He just felt like it. NYC automatically educates people by proximity. Ask a 6th grade to take a test someone in the 11th grade would take in the south, and that 6th grader would dominate it. Education as a whole in NYC is significantly better.
Lol my nikka stop it :mjlol:

KneeGrow.

Superstar
Daps
Is HBCU's encoded into black american Culture the way education is drilled into other groups from birth?

Listen, you can think what you want. I think its irrefutable that we as African Americans have a long way to go as far as competing academically and I think the overwhelming majority are not born into having a head start the way others do. I think HBCU's are great. Thats college, How are we competing from pre k to 12th grade before we even have an opportunity to be accepted into an HBCU or otherwise? MY observations, in NYC, these other kids are being agressively pushed. accademically, financial literacy wise, ETC.

there is a cultural reason that 12 year olds are trained to run business in our community selling us all our household goods and by the time their 20 they own multiple locations, and we are their built in consumer base. We gotta catch up.

I think you're conflating two different issues here; academic achievement and resource accumulation with respect to business/wealth/capital development.

The narrative that education isn't emphasized is a falsehood and a long held lazy trope, often times perpetuated by people who have some narrow minded ideas about "proper" assimilation. Every working class black (or otherwise) person I've come across, especially of a certain generation would vauguely and reflexively reference "education" as a means to get ahead in life. The reason I highlighted HBCU is because it serves as a marker (sometimes superficially) of academic well-beings for blacks in America.

The issues surrounding the challenges for young black people and education are impacted by cultural phenomenon at times, sure. The analysis has to be detailed, though. It isn't merely, or mostly, the deemphasized priority on education. Note class impact. Note historical impediments. Note legislative failings. Note social structures. It's more than black people not "caring enough".

This all isn't to mention that there's a significant difference between "schooling" and "education". We all know too many ignorant folks with degrees to put so much stock in academic success.