Only 7 Black Students Got Into NY's Most Selective High School, Out of 895 Spots Only 7 out of 895

KingJay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly bouls, Trust the Process
75 percent who were accepted are Asian. 20% white. The rest black and Hispanic and that’s among all three technical hs in nyc? :snoop:

Honestly we gotta have a real conversation about how we educate our children in the black community. :yeshrug:
Agreed. I've always wanted to create some sort of curriculum for black kids growing up. Academic shyt your parents will teach you at home and a list of things to read yourself. The two biggest things are Math and English going through school. If you have a strong foundation in these subjects, even highly advanced history and science essentially become reduced to memorization at the HS level, and standardized testing will be your playground.

I have found that one of the real keys to mathematics is an early start. We see something around a 10 point IQ gap develop between those in educational daycares and those who are not. Considering also that we, on average, develop faster than white people, Black kids are often introduced to math far too late. With any child, it is very important to prime and tune their brains for mathematics early on. Everything will come much easier as they move on.

I'm not talking anything advanced, but I started adding and subtracted at ~3-4, by the time I was ~4 I was fluent in multiplication, and by 6 long division was easy. I went to a school that emphasized math early on, but I was way ahead of my classmates because my mother took the time to supplement my education at those ages. Almost any parent can supplement math at this level, and I was on pace to start middle school with calculus. As kids we're sponges, we absorb everything and our brain easily molds to what's around us. Trust me I would go on to meet kids more naturally gifted at math than I was, but the early investment let me continually pick up new concepts easily. This is the same thing Asian kids are doing, this is why they always succeed in these fields. It's not a matter of natural aptitude in most cases, it's a matter of early exposure and an emphasis in the household.

Similar goes for the development of your memory. Sure, maybe I was predisposed to a good memory, but my mother taught me every bone in the body by the time I was 3 years old. I could recite them all back to you on the spot. I don't know any of it now, but she tuned my brain towards memorizing and that went on to make academics very easy.

There's a lot more, but I'll stop now because this post is getting to be too long.

Eddy Gordo

Banned
Supporter
Daps
:gucci::wow:

Sometimes I really wonder if there's any hope for us:wow:
Breh I'm gonna be honest with you. I been looking at the numbers and no we don't have a realistic shot at fixing the black community.:beli:

The culture killing us and the culture could save us. But from where I'm sitting shyts too far gone at this point:mjcry:

If anything get ya money up and go build with some Nigerians. Because AAs done. Put a fork in us:wow:

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
Agreed. I've always wanted to create some sort of curriculum for black kids growing up. Academic shyt your parents will teach you at home and a list of things to read yourself. The two biggest things are Math and English going through school. If you have a strong foundation in these subjects, even highly advanced history and science essentially become reduced to memorization at the HS level, and standardized testing will be your playground.

I have found that one of the real keys to mathematics is an early start. We see something around a 10 point IQ gap develop between those in educational daycares and those who are not. Considering also that we, on average, develop faster than white people, Black kids are often introduced to math far too late. With any child, it is very important to prime and tune their brains for mathematics early on. Everything will come much easier as they move on.

I'm not talking anything advanced, but I started adding and subtracted at ~3-4, by the time I was ~4 I was fluent in multiplication, and by 6 long division was easy. I went to a school that emphasized math early on, but I was way ahead of my classmates because my mother took the time to supplement my education at those ages. Almost any parent can supplement math at this level, and I was on pace to start middle school with calculus. As kids we're sponges, we absorb everything and our brain easily molds to what's around us. Trust me I would go on to meet kids more naturally gifted at math than I was, but the early investment let me continually pick up new concepts easily. This is the same thing Asian kids are doing, this is why they always succeed in these fields. It's not a matter of natural aptitude in most cases, it's a matter of early exposure and an emphasis in the household.

Similar goes for the development of your memory. Sure, maybe I was predisposed to a good memory, but my mother taught me every bone in the body by the time I was 3 years old. I could recite them all back to you on the spot. I don't know any of it now, but she tuned my brain towards memorizing and that went on to make academics very easy.

There's a lot more, but I'll stop now because this post is getting to be too long.

This is what a high school friend is doing with her daughter. The girl is three now and smart as hell. My grandmother said the same thing about my mom. My grandfather read to her everyday. Did math with her too. So by the time she got to school it was a breeze for her.

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
That’s the problem black parents think sending their kids to shytty public schools is enough. Nah u gotta get extra tutoring/ schooling and drill the importance of education. Teach your kids at home as much as possible.
I knew Black people would get blamed :mjlol:

U cacs n c00ns mane I tell ya:wow:

Eddy Gordo

Banned
Supporter
Daps
The problem of asians being OVERREPRESENTED in education has to addressed. Unfortunately a certain demographic of so called black people have decided to attack BLACK immigrants instead of these asian cats.

You want to start this again huh.

Alright I will bite.

A lot of you nikkas leeches biting opportunity intended for ADOS then turning around talking shyt about us.

What the asians and whites doing don't change what YALL doing.:ufdup:

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
exactly. everyone has a has an emphasis on academic excellence built into their culture but us. The systemic inequalities are always a factor but me knowing my people I know many of us dont value education the same. Asians for example are on some Army shyt when it comes to education.I went to school with them, they was no joke. We was worried about styling prada sneaks and shyt, graduating was something to celebrate

Until we confront ourselves and the ugly legacy of not taking education seriously, we will always be second best and waiting for handouts and favors from the successful groups like beggars.

Even where we're supposed to rule and be King, we are simply workers slaving away for the cac or asian executive. Case in point, look at the entire entertainment industry.
Guys can make beats and rap, sing and all but cant understand the contract theyre signing. Busy taking orders and being ruled by whites and asians in our own shyt, someone tell me I'm lying :snoop:

Daps
exactly. everyone has a has an emphasis on academic excellence built into their culture but us. The systemic inequalities are always a factor but me knowing my people I know many of us dont value education the same. Asians for example are on some Army shyt when it comes to education.I went to school with them, they was no joke. We was worried about styling prada sneaks and shyt, graduating was something to celebrate

Harsh realities

concise

Veteran
Daps
I feel you...BUT...the diplomas of those 7 black students will be worth a lot more than if they removed the entrance exams to allow 500 black and latinos in. Or am I wrong? I'm open-minded about this issue.

I feel resources should be diverted into prep programs to help more black people into those schools. Rather than just removing the exams in their entirety.

To be fair, Asians are also pummeling whites in entrances to those schools. People sleep on Asians but they have a nearly continuous 4,000 years of civiliazation behind their backs.

They tried that.

Attempts to diversify the schools without touching the test have failed. Neither the expansion of free test prep for minority students nor a new plan to offer the specialized high school exam during the school day made a dent in the admissions numbers.

The mayor and other supporters of the effort to overhaul the admissions system cited the statistics released Monday as the clearest evidence yet that the system is broken.

“These numbers are even more proof that dramatic reform is necessary to open the doors of opportunity at specialized high schools,” Mr. de Blasio said.

But at the same time, a slew of prominent Democrats in Albany and downstate, ranging from the city’s public advocate to the Democratic leaders of the Assembly and Senate, either declined to comment or issued statements that indicated the latest numbers are unlikely to change their positions.

Raw Lyrics

Sunset Park
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
They tried that.

So what's your solution? Remove the entrace exam, like De Blasio, wants to? So that when people of color attend in large numbers they can be ridiculed while the diploma will be looked at as a fraud anyway. And what does that do to the 7 black students who actually passed the exam fair and square? It would defeat the purpose.

The math portion of the exam is rigorous and it should be.

Depreciating Asset

Please pawg responsibly
Daps
Reppin
Other
"And this past weekend, Ms. Ocasio-Cortez did not take a position on the admissions proposal when she spoke about the specialized high schools at an event in her Queens district.

Instead, she argued for broad school improvement, noting that her father traveled across three boroughs from the Bronx to Brooklyn Technical High School.

“My question is, why isn’t every public school in New York City a Brooklyn Tech-caliber school?she asked, to applause from the audience. “Every one should be.” "

I think the bolded is right. Why are we fighting over selective spots instead of creating a better system that benefits 100% of kids instead of 1%?

concise

Veteran
Daps
So what's your solution? Remove the entrace exam, like De Blasio, wants to? So that when people of color attend in large numbers they can be ridiculed while the diploma will be looked at as a fraud anyway. And what does that do to the 7 black students who actually passed the exam fair and square? It would defeat the purpose.

The math portion of the exam is rigorous and it should be.

I never said or implied any of that.