Only 7 Black Students Got Into NY's Most Selective High School, Out of 895 Spots Only 7 out of 895

Everythingg

King-Over-Kingz
Bushed
Daps
75 percent who were accepted are Asian. 20% white. The rest black and Hispanic and that’s among all three technical hs in nyc? :snoop:

Honestly we gotta have a real conversation about how we educate our children in the black community. :yeshrug:

Why are we even looking to cacs to educate our children should be the real question?

If they don’t want you in their schools, fine. fukk em, and create your own. :coffee:

Carolina Slim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh by way of Crooklyn
Went to Brooklyn Tech, although Stuy was my first choice :to:

My niigga....

TVMhijJ.gif

Tech was my only choice outside of George Westinghouse and Graphic Arts. Easy choice lol Frankly, I was surprised that I got in, I didn't study for the test or anything.

Good to see Tech still has numbers, but they're still dwindling.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
How stressed is education by black parents up there? Cause if it’s anything like it is down here, then :picard:

It has nothing to do with parents stressing education, it's cacs being racist. Blacks do well in education, shyt that is our top priority.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
Black culture does not take education seriously. Look at who the youth idolizes and looks up to.. it's not scholars. American culture in general is anti-intellectual but cacs and other privileged groups can afford to cause they control resources.

Some of y'all are looking mighty suspicious:mjpls:

Cacs keep blacks out of school, that is the main reason why so few get into those elite spots. Remove the racist system and we'd have has many students as Asians. :salute:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
This thread is unintentionally HILARIOUS. Every immigrant group on earth is represented in NYC. I'd bet that EVERY Black immigrant here has at least one family member in New York right NOW!!!
7 Black 8th graders tested into the most competitive high school in the city. 7 TOTAL.This is not the thread to be issuing commentary about what "Americans" are doing or not doing wrong.

If it were a matter of what "Americans" were doing wrong, all of your nephews/nieces/little cousins who are in the New York Public School System would have tested into that school or the other top high schools.

I'm a child of immigrants myself, and ENOUGH WITH THE BULLshyt !

Last edited:

jackson35

Banned
Daps

Only 7 Black Students Got Into N.Y.’s Most Selective High School, Out of 895 Spots

Only a tiny number of black students were offered admission to the highly selective public high schools in New York City on Monday, raising the pressure on officials to confront the decades-old challenge of integrating New York’s elite public schools.

At Stuyvesant High School, out of 895 slots in the freshman class, only seven were offered to black students. And the number of black students is shrinking: There were 10 black students admitted into Stuyvesant last year, and 13 the year before.

Another highly selective specialized school, the Bronx High School of Science, made 12 offers to black students this year, down from 25 last year.

These numbers come despite Mayor Bill de Blasio’s vow to diversify the specialized high schools, which have long been seen as a ticket for low-income and immigrant students to enter the nation’s best colleges and embark on successful careers.
Students gain entry into the specialized schools by acing a single high-stakes exam that tests their mastery of math and English. Some students spend months or even years preparing for the exam. Stuyvesant, the most selective of the schools, has the highest cutoff score for admission, and now has the lowest percentage of black and Hispanic students of any of New York City’s roughly 600 public high schools.

Lawmakers considering Mr. de Blasio’s proposal have faced a backlash from the specialized schools’ alumni organizations and from Asian-American groups who believe discarding the test would water down the schools’ rigorous academics and discriminate against the mostly low-income Asian students who make up the majority of the schools’ student bodies. (At Stuyvesant, 74 percent of current students are Asian-American.) The push to get rid of the test, which requires approval from the State Legislature, appears all but dead.

here's what there are not telling you. a percentage of black parents do not want their kids traveling far from their area to schools like this for security reasons.Only 7 Black Students Got Into N.Y.’s Most Selective High School, Out of 895 Spots

Only a tiny number of black students were offered admission to the highly selective public high schools in New York City on Monday, raising the pressure on officials to confront the decades-old challenge of integrating New York’s elite public schools.

At Stuyvesant High School, out of 895 slots in the freshman class, only seven were offered to black students. And the number of black students is shrinking: There were 10 black students admitted into Stuyvesant last year, and 13 the year before.

Another highly selective specialized school, the Bronx High School of Science, made 12 offers to black students this year, down from 25 last year.

These numbers come despite Mayor Bill de Blasio’s vow to diversify the specialized high schools, which have long been seen as a ticket for low-income and immigrant students to enter the nation’s best colleges and embark on successful careers.
Students gain entry into the specialized schools by acing a single high-stakes exam that tests their mastery of math and English. Some students spend months or even years preparing for the exam. Stuyvesant, the most selective of the schools, has the highest cutoff score for admission, and now has the lowest percentage of black and Hispanic students of any of New York City’s roughly 600 public high schools.

Lawmakers considering Mr. de Blasio’s proposal have faced a backlash from the specialized schools’ alumni organizations and from Asian-American groups who believe discarding the test would water down the schools’ rigorous academics and discriminate against the mostly low-income Asian students who make up the majority of the schools’ student bodies. (At Stuyvesant, 74 percent of current students are Asian-American.) The push to get rid of the test, which requires approval from the State Legislature, appears all but dead.

Hugs

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New Yawk
This is a tough one. If 74% of the students are Asian, the Black students probably 5% and the cacs like 20%..

At some point we have to confront the ugly truth that your kids education and future is not up to him/her alone..it's a complete family effort. From the Asians I knew, their parents expected not only A's, but head of the class. It's not enough to get an A..you have to actually beat your classmates and take 1st place, the Asians take that stuff seriously. Here they are practicing for future job prospects when youre competing with other people.
When they get home, no TV and shyt, it's homework and revision till you have mastered the days lessons.
We all know how Black kids are allowed to run amock by their parents and basically do as we please.
Asians aren't smarter than anyone else..their culture is competitive and mediocrity is frowned upon.
We could learn something from them.
:why:

TELL ME YA CHEESIN FAM?

I walk around a little edgy already
Daps
Reppin
The H
The kid is just incredibly intelligent, not privileged. I should have mentioned that in the original article because some people would take it the wrong way posting an African high achiever.
Why is he homeless?why ain't his parents working and providing for him and themselves?

TELL ME YA CHEESIN FAM?

I walk around a little edgy already
Daps
Reppin
The H
This thread is unintentionally HILARIOUS. Every immigrant group on earth is represented in NYC. I'd bet that EVERY Black immigrant here has at least one family member in New York right NOW!!!
7 Black 8th graders tested into the most competitive high school in the city. 7 TOTAL.This is not the thread to be issuing commentary about what "Americans" are doing or not doing wrong.

If it were a matter of what "Americans" were doing wrong, all of your nephews/nieces/little cousins who are in the New York Public School System would have tested into that school or the other top high schools.

I'm a child of immigrants myself, and ENOUGH WITH THE BULLshyt !
Exactly. even 10 African and West Indian kids couldn't get it?

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Exactly. even 10 African and West Indian kids couldn't get it?
Those numbers have us ALL looking funny in the (desk) light.
25765500_93bb3a32e9.jpg

I think there's a level of shame that people feel about these numbers and those feelings are causing us to lash out at each other.
Getting squeezed out by Latinos from one angle......squeezed out by Asians from the other angle.

We better stop burying heads in sand and making excuses about "the system" though.