Only 7 Black Students Got Into NY's Most Selective High School, Out of 895 Spots Only 7 out of 895

kayslay

African American Princess
Daps
This is a tough one. If 74% of the students are Asian, the Black students probably 5% and the cacs like 20%..

At some point we have to confront the ugly truth that your kids education and future is not up to him/her alone..it's a complete family effort. From the Asians I knew, their parents expected not only A's, but head of the class. It's not enough to get an A..you have to actually beat your classmates and take 1st place, the Asians take that stuff seriously. Here they are practicing for future job prospects when youre competing with other people.
When they get home, no TV and shyt, it's homework and revision till you have mastered the days lessons.
We all know how Black kids are allowed to run amock by their parents and basically do as we please.
Asians aren't smarter than anyone else..their culture is competitive and mediocrity is frowned upon.
We could learn something from them.
I don’t want my future children living like this and I don’t know any sane person that does.

My kids will not be robots.
I will put forth the effort for them to have them best education but they will be well rounded, social, and active as well not human calculators!

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
This is a tough one. If 74% of the students are Asian, the Black students probably 5% and the cacs like 20%..

At some point we have to confront the ugly truth that your kids education and future is not up to him/her alone..it's a complete family effort. From the Asians I knew, their parents expected not only A's, but head of the class. It's not enough to get an A..you have to actually beat your classmates and take 1st place, the Asians take that stuff seriously. Here they are practicing for future job prospects when youre competing with other people.
When they get home, no TV and shyt, it's homework and revision till you have mastered the days lessons.
We all know how Black kids are allowed to run amock by their parents and basically do as we please.
Asians aren't smarter than anyone else..their culture is competitive and mediocrity is frowned upon.

LOL. There's gotta be a middle ground between where we are and THAT shyt. I've heard of Asian cats committing suicide and seen some completely burn out in college because of the pressures their families put on them.

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
LOL. There's gotta be a middle ground between where we are and THAT shyt. I've heard of Asian cats committing suicide and seen some completely burn out in college because of the pressures their families put on them.

Ok, I admit it was a bit extreme and I generalized a lot but yeah, we are basically just keeping our heads above water.
My concern is that we are being left behind, we are not acquiring the new age knowledge of working systems and thats going to be our drowning in the long run.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra

Nigerians are different
:sas2:

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Nigerians are different
:sas2:

Homeless 8-year-old Nigerian refugee wins New York State chess championship, inspiring viral fundraiser

2edee8001bcbec004790376c5a9dcb27

Tanitoluwa Adewumi, 8, won big this week. (Photo: GoFundMe)

Tanitoluwa Adewumi just said checkmate." Tanitoluwa Adewumi just said checkmate.

was crowned the New York State Primary Chess Champion in the kindergarten-to-third-grade bracket of the 52nd New York State Scholastic Championships. The elementary school student, better known as “Tani,” went undefeated at the championships, where he outsmarted opponents from top private schools with pricey chess tutors. Despite learning the game a little over a year ago, the 8-year-old boy — homeless refugee from Nigeria — was crowned the New York State Primary Chess Champion
in the kindergarten-to-third-grade bracket of the 52nd New York State Scholastic Championships. The elementary school student, better known as “Tani,” went undefeated at the championships, where he outsmarted opponents from top private schools with pricey chess tutors.

“I want to be the youngest grandmaster,” Tani told the New York Times.

Oluwatoyin Adewumi, reportedly takes him to free three-hour practice sessions in Harlem every Saturday, while his father, Kayode, allows him to play chess online on his laptop each evening." Tani is well on his way to achieving that goal, as the third-grader has already established an unwavering dedication to improving his chess prowess. His mother, Oluwatoyin Adewumi, reportedly takes him to free three-hour practice sessions in Harlem every Saturday, while his father, Kayode, allows him to play chess online on his laptop each evening.

8-year-old wins New York chess championship

“He is so driven,” his school chess teacher, Shawn Martinez told the New York Times. “He does 10 times more chess puzzles than the average kid. He just wants to be better.” Martinez estimates that the youngster could achieve the chess master title in one to two years. The youngest chess grandmaster to-date earned the prestigious title at the age of 12.

In the brief year since Tani was first introduced to the game, the chess whiz has already collected seven trophies, and is one of the top players in the country for his age group. However, his path to becoming the New York State Primary Chess Champion has not been an easy one." In the brief year since Tani was first introduced to the game, the chess whiz has already collected seven trophies, and is one of the top players in the country for his age group. However, his path to becoming the New York State Primary Chess Champion has not been an easy one.

New York Times. After arriving in New York City to seek asylum in the U.S., with his parents and older brother, the family soon moved into a homeless shelter. Tani began attending local New York elementary school P.S. 116, where he discovered his passion for the strategic board game.

Oluwatoyin to allow him to join the chess club, but his family was unable to afford the costs of the membership. After she sent an email to the chess program explaining their situation, Russell Makofsky, the man who oversees the P.S. 116 chess club, decided to waive Tani’s fees. According to Makofsky, the costs of the chess club can surpass the thousands with travel and chess camp admissions. Tani begged his mother Oluwatoyin to allow him to join the chess club, but his family was unable to afford the costs of the membership. After she sent an email to the chess program explaining their situation, Russell Makofsky, the man who oversees the P.S. 116 chess club, decided to waive Tani’s fees. According to Makofsky, the costs of the chess club can surpass the thousands with travel and chess camp admissions.

Tani IS ALL HEART!” Makofsky wrote on the campaign page. “Let’s all show our HEART and help Tani’s family secure a home where he can continue on his journey.”

Nigerian refugee family jobs, legal services, places to stay — and even a carfor Tani’s father, who works as an Uber driver.

Adewumi family continues to live in a homeless shelter, Makofsky tells the New York Times, “‘Tani is rich beyond measure,’ in the strength, love and support of his family.”

He adds, “One year to get to this level, to climb a mountain and be the best of the best, without family resources. I’ve never seen it.”

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music

Homeless 8-year-old Nigerian refugee wins New York State chess championship, inspiring viral fundraiser

2edee8001bcbec004790376c5a9dcb27

Tanitoluwa Adewumi, 8, won big this week. (Photo: GoFundMe)

Tanitoluwa Adewumi just said checkmate." Tanitoluwa Adewumi just said checkmate.

was crowned the New York State Primary Chess Champion in the kindergarten-to-third-grade bracket of the 52nd New York State Scholastic Championships. The elementary school student, better known as “Tani,” went undefeated at the championships, where he outsmarted opponents from top private schools with pricey chess tutors. Despite learning the game a little over a year ago, the 8-year-old boy — homeless refugee from Nigeria — was crowned the New York State Primary Chess Champion
in the kindergarten-to-third-grade bracket of the 52nd New York State Scholastic Championships. The elementary school student, better known as “Tani,” went undefeated at the championships, where he outsmarted opponents from top private schools with pricey chess tutors.

“I want to be the youngest grandmaster,” Tani told the New York Times.

Oluwatoyin Adewumi, reportedly takes him to free three-hour practice sessions in Harlem every Saturday, while his father, Kayode, allows him to play chess online on his laptop each evening." Tani is well on his way to achieving that goal, as the third-grader has already established an unwavering dedication to improving his chess prowess. His mother, Oluwatoyin Adewumi, reportedly takes him to free three-hour practice sessions in Harlem every Saturday, while his father, Kayode, allows him to play chess online on his laptop each evening.

8-year-old wins New York chess championship

“He is so driven,” his school chess teacher, Shawn Martinez told the New York Times. “He does 10 times more chess puzzles than the average kid. He just wants to be better.” Martinez estimates that the youngster could achieve the chess master title in one to two years. The youngest chess grandmaster to-date earned the prestigious title at the age of 12.

In the brief year since Tani was first introduced to the game, the chess whiz has already collected seven trophies, and is one of the top players in the country for his age group. However, his path to becoming the New York State Primary Chess Champion has not been an easy one." In the brief year since Tani was first introduced to the game, the chess whiz has already collected seven trophies, and is one of the top players in the country for his age group. However, his path to becoming the New York State Primary Chess Champion has not been an easy one.

New York Times. After arriving in New York City to seek asylum in the U.S., with his parents and older brother, the family soon moved into a homeless shelter. Tani began attending local New York elementary school P.S. 116, where he discovered his passion for the strategic board game.

Oluwatoyin to allow him to join the chess club, but his family was unable to afford the costs of the membership. After she sent an email to the chess program explaining their situation, Russell Makofsky, the man who oversees the P.S. 116 chess club, decided to waive Tani’s fees. According to Makofsky, the costs of the chess club can surpass the thousands with travel and chess camp admissions. Tani begged his mother Oluwatoyin to allow him to join the chess club, but his family was unable to afford the costs of the membership. After she sent an email to the chess program explaining their situation, Russell Makofsky, the man who oversees the P.S. 116 chess club, decided to waive Tani’s fees. According to Makofsky, the costs of the chess club can surpass the thousands with travel and chess camp admissions.

Tani IS ALL HEART!” Makofsky wrote on the campaign page. “Let’s all show our HEART and help Tani’s family secure a home where he can continue on his journey.”

Nigerian refugee family jobs, legal services, places to stay — and even a carfor Tani’s father, who works as an Uber driver.

Adewumi family continues to live in a homeless shelter, Makofsky tells the New York Times, “‘Tani is rich beyond measure,’ in the strength, love and support of his family.”

He adds, “One year to get to this level, to climb a mountain and be the best of the best, without family resources. I’ve never seen it.”
Another black immigrant with rich parents and elite relatives according to some people here. SMH

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Another black immigrant with rich parents and elite relatives according to some people here. SMH

The kid is just incredibly intelligent, not privileged. I should have mentioned that in the original article because some people would take it the wrong way posting an African high achiever.

---

Superstar
Daps
Have no idea how this thread turned into ADOS vs NONADOS thread. Getting tired of it!

Back to the topic. Deeply involved in the business of education now, heavily invested in education centres. Having lived back home and in China will say this. Just start your kids young. This is more of west vs east approach to education form my experience.

Just do more early and never ever take your foot off the gas pedals with the kids. It's surprising what you can do by pushing kids early. I'm talking really early. Black people just need to adopt the model and keep on pushing.

In China, they have a school after their main school. So after school is finished from 9 to 4 they stay another 5 to 8 just to do more homework. Some groups of Asian Americans from certain countries do the same thing slightly different approach with certain kind of schools in their communities.

Just need a government program or local program or even a private business in place to talk to black parents. This starts the discussion of mapping out the child's educational path before the child is born. So as soon as a couple goes in for regular prenatal trimester examination with their doctor. The same effort should be put into planning and mapping our their educational path and needs from the trimester examination. If done when in kindergarten it's already too late! Can predict with nearly 80% accuracy if a child goes to college just by early education in kindergarten.

See a lot of cats saying you learn nothing in school. This can be true, but I can show a legion of cats that make high six figures and low 7 figures all because they did well on a test in school. You can go very far in life, by just acing test!

Last edited: