Only 7 Black Students Got Into NY's Most Selective High School, Out of 895 Spots Only 7 out of 895

chkmeout

marshawn lynch handshake
Daps
Black men are thrown in jail at a far higher rate than any other race and for longer with each

No offense breh, but you don't know what you talking about. Cacs hold us back from going through school. If it weren't for them we'd be behind Asians

bytch ass trolls, y'all need to be bushed @xoxodede also .:pacspit:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Those numbers have us ALL looking funny in the (desk) light.
25765500_93bb3a32e9.jpg

According to the 2010 United States Census, New York City had the largest population of self-defined Black residents of any U.S. city, with over 2,000,000 within the city's boundaries. New York City has the largest population of Black immigrants (at 686,814) and descendants of immigrants from the Caribbean , and of sub-Saharan Africans.

Stuyvesant-High-School-640x480.jpg

---

Superstar
Daps
What else is it -- if our numbers are so low? The system IS set up to keep our numbers low. The systematic racism and tactics - like underfunding, lack of resources, etc -- that is the direct correlation to black children not being accepted.

Even Black students not knowing about the test/programs.scholarships - nor being informed on how to prepare for the test.

It's like white and Asian parents who have their children tested (outsourced for thousands of dollars) to say their child is gifted. Black parents don't have 10K to do that. Even though they are gifted.

Read the comments in the NYT's it's black ivy leaguers who stated they didn't get accepted into these schools -- yet accepted and graduated with top honours from Ivies.

Therefore -- meaning it's the system.

Also, we are not lashing out -- others are lashing out at Black Americans for NO reason.

Yeah, it's the system has its part but what else is new.

Two options. 1) can either complain about it and do nothing or 2) make a game plan knowing the system is rigged and do the things necessary to get ahead. Nothing moves a family up a chain of economic prosperity such as education.

The system will always be against us "always"!

Still, there is no excuse for not understanding the system and progressing in it. There is a direct correlation with time and effort put into a child to a child's grades. Also, the clock is ticking we need to make changes fast.

I wish someone would do a campaign like they do for running for office but do a campaign just preacher early education and stress the importance of elementary education for our people. Things would change fast in less than a generation.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Yeah, it's the system has its part but what else is new.

Two options. 1) can either complain about it and do nothing or 2) make a game plan knowing the system is rigged and do the things necessary to get ahead. Nothing moves a family up a chain of economic prosperity such as education.

The system will always be against us "always"!

Still, there is no excuse for not understanding the system and progressing in it. There is a direct correlation with time and effort put into a child to a child's grades. Also, the clock is ticking we need to make changes fast.

I wish someone would do a campaign like they do for running for office but do a campaign just preacher early education and stress the importance of elementary education.

I agree. But, what about the many Black parents who can't afford to make the changes needed to play the ridged system -- they will continuously be left behind. The cheating scandal and college buy-in really opened a lot of peope's eyes. They can literally buy their children into these schools -- high school and university.

If they don't cheat their way in -- they can provide uber resources to help their children. It's a high cost for tutoring and such.

That's why this needs to be attacked at a governmental level.

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
How did we go from having integrated, high performing NYC public high schools in the 1940s
that were able to send my family members to success in college and in the military, to the
general education difficulties that we now have today?

(Victory Corps. Along with their English course, this class at Benjamin Franklin High School in New York City is learning the basic principles of first aid. c.1942)
1920px-Victory_Corps._Along_with_their_English_course%2C_this_class_at_Benjamin_Franklin_High_School_in_New_York_City_is..._-_NARA_-_196329.jpg

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
Education starts at home..

I don't have any stats but just from my experience and family,friends studying habits and shyt at home wasn't enforced as it should be.

As long as I went to school,didn't act up and got atleast a C and the principal wasn't calling home I was good and my parents were satisfied.

Daps
It's not just Asian tiger moms. A lot of them were upper middle class and highly educated back home but become "middle class" here. The kids are put under a lot of pressure to ensure that mom and dad's sacrifice (coming to America) pays off.

My homeboy is Punjabi Indian and grew up relatively poor. Not quite free lunch but close. His pops was a math professor back home and had him doing calculus in 8th grade. Dude literally never went to any math classes his first two years of college and got all As because he was prepared. Didn't hurt that he got 5's on both AP Calculus exams.

Whites try to act like they are part of Asian success. Nah. Whites have the advantages no one else has and get stomped by Soo Young. American academia focuses on being well rounded while Asia is all about high stakes testing.

Daps
The real question is: why is there such a push to get into these magnet schools?

This shows that the district as a whole is a failure. Strong school districts don't need magnets because most/all of the schools are strong and kids will receive a good education regardless of the school. Failure.