Only 7 Black Students Got Into NY's Most Selective High School, Out of 895 Spots Only 7 out of 895

ig88

Bounty Hunter
Daps
Reppin
Intergalactic
Wow @ this thread. WOW

This country is doomed. Excuses for everything. Excuses for excuses. Excuses that cancel out previous excuses. The media has yall trained , I hope yall become journalists and “expose” it all.

SPACE IS FAKE

Say No To NASA!
Daps
if Obama isn't a role model, who is?

Cause Michelle certainly is.

Michelle def is. But contrast what she says to young black women against Barack to young black men

“Black girls rock”
“Girl power”

VS

“Pull your pants up” (basically)

And this supposed to be “MY brothers keeper” :mjpls: Heard u my nikka

Imagine be a young bul from the bay in attendance to see the first black president and the greatest shooter in NBA history talk and all they tell you is don’t wear 8 chains :childplease:

They owe those kids an apology and I’m disappointed in steph for partaking in this BS he looking funny too:mjpls:

LeBron would NEVER

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
A
Wow @ this thread. WOW

This country is doomed. Excuses for everything. Excuses for excuses. Excuses that cancel out previous excuses. The media has yall trained , I hope yall become journalists and “expose” it all.
its a little of both.

But black parents HAVE TO become more ruthless. That’s nonnegotiable

---

Superstar
Daps
Those numbers have us ALL looking funny in the (desk) light.
25765500_93bb3a32e9.jpg

I think there's a level of shame that people feel about these numbers and those feelings are causing us to lash out at each other.
Getting squeezed out by Latinos from one angle......squeezed out by Asians from the other angle.

We better stop burying heads in sand and making excuses about "the system" though.

This is true as hell.

---

Superstar
Daps
Wow @ this thread. WOW

This country is doomed. Excuses for everything. Excuses for excuses. Excuses that cancel out previous excuses. The media has yall trained, I hope yall become journalists and “expose” it all.

Been like this for some time now.

58471001ba6eb6d3008b7bf9-750-1038.png

PISA International test scores for OECD countries America is highlighted red. Next data should be released soon as the test happens every 3 years.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
In case a New Yorker hasn't brought this up already, here is something to consider.

There's a program called ABC, A Better Chance. Provides scholarships for Black students to attend the top prep schools in the country. I would imagine that NYC is an area that they recruit heavily from. Middle school kids take some type of entrance exam........probably similar to the test mentioned in the OP.

The actress Joy Bryant and the rapper Talib Kweli attended prep schools through ABC, if I'm not mistaken. Plenty of the Black kids from that NYPS system who would have gotten in , probably tested in but declined to go attend Exeter or Phillips Academy.

Organization is based in New York, so I'd bet that a good percentage of their recruits are from there.

OP story paints a dismal picture, and its real but not quite as dismal as the numbers indicate.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Those numbers have us ALL looking funny in the (desk) light.
25765500_93bb3a32e9.jpg

I think there's a level of shame that people feel about these numbers and those feelings are causing us to lash out at each other.
Getting squeezed out by Latinos from one angle......squeezed out by Asians from the other angle.

We better stop burying heads in sand and making excuses about "the system" though.

What else is it -- if our numbers are so low? The system IS set up to keep our numbers low. The systematic racism and tactics - like underfunding, lack of resources, etc -- that is the direct correlation to black children not being accepted.

Even Black students not knowing about the test/programs.scholarships - nor being informed how to prepare for the test.

It's like white and asian parents who have their children tested (outsourced for thousands of dollars) to say their child is gifted. Black parents don't have 10K to do that. Even though they are gifted.

Read the comments in the NYT's it's black ivy leaguers who stated they didn't get accepted in to these schools -- yet accepted and graduated with top honors from Ivies.

Therefore -- meaning it's the system.

Also, we are not lashing out -- others are lashing out at Black Americans for NO reason.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
It has nothing to do with parents stressing education, it's cacs being racist. Blacks do well in education, shyt that is our top priority.

No the fukk it isnt. Not with some of us at least. I’m a teacher in a black school I see the shyt every day.

Half of the parents don’t give a damn & just see school as a babysitting service. I can give kids a project or homework & most of them don’t even bring it back, let alone bring in a damn book bag everyday

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
It starts at home:ehh:

3 out of 4 black kids in a kindergarten class this year is raised by a single mother. This shyt ain't turning around no time soon

Black men are thrown in jail at a far higher rate than any other race and for longer with each
No the fukk it isnt. Not with some of us at least. I’m a teacher in a black school I see the shyt every day.

Half of the parents don’t give a damn & just see school as a babysitting service. I can give kids a project or homework & most of them don’t even bring it back, let alone bring in a damn book bag everyday

No offense breh, but you don't know what you talking about. Cacs hold us back from going through school. If it weren't for them we'd be behind Asians

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
What else is it -- if our numbers are so low? The system IS set up to keep our numbers low. The systematic racism and tactics - like underfunding, lack of resources, etc -- that is the direct correlation to black children not being accepted.

Even Black students not knowing about the test/programs.scholarships - nor being informed how to prepare for the test.

It's like white and asian parents who have their children tested (outsourced for thousands of dollars) to say their child is gifted. Black parents don't have 10K to do that. Even though they are gifted.

Read the comments in the NYT's it's black ivy leaguers who stated they didn't get accepted in to these schools -- yet accepted and graduated with top honors from Ivies.

Also, we are not lashing out -- others are lashing out at Black Americans for NO reason.
The equivalent/counterpart to those schools exist across the country. I think students take a similar exam to gain entrance into Cass Tech in the D, for example. Most people here can identify those schools from their city I can't imagine the test for NY being much different than the ones in these other cities. I also don't imagine the Asian parents of the kids taking the NYC test being from different economic group than the Black parents

I guessed that some of the best Black public school students are recruited out by different programs or sent to parochial high schools by their parents. This would partially explain the attention grabbing numbers.

I think the reality is that conditions ARE dire for Black people in this country and that we don't acknowledge just how dire they are. The system is NOT designed for us, but by our general views about education you'd think that we didn't know that. External factors and internal factors. External factors aren't going to budge much, so that huge push back against those internal factors is going to be the difference.
My point about burying head in the sand is that we're complaining about the things we don't control, and not putting enough action on the things that we do control.

In these types of threads there are always people here debating in good faith and there are always people talking out of their butts, on every side. I called out the ones talking out of their butts about what "Americans don't do", called their bluffs and DARED them to explain why their NY cousins didn't get in. But there are people talking greasy on all sides in this thread.

|r|e|a|d|

Hail!!
Daps
Reppin
PJ's to the Burbs
In case a New Yorker hasn't brought this up already, here is something to consider.

There's a program called ABC, A Better Chance. Provides scholarships for Black students to attend the top prep schools in the country. I would imagine that NYC is an area that they recruit heavily from. Middle school kids take some type of entrance exam........probably similar to the test mentioned in the OP.

The actress Joy Bryant and the rapper Talib Kweli attended prep schools through ABC, if I'm not mistaken. Plenty of the Black kids from that NYPS system who would have gotten in , probably tested in but declined to go attend Exeter or Phillips Academy.

Organization is based in New York, so I'd bet that a good percentage of their recruits are from there.

OP story paints a dismal picture, and its real but not quite as dismal as the numbers indicate.
I went with my niece to visit Exeter it was at that moment that i realized there is a whole whole 'nother world out there as it relates to education. She eventually chose an all girls out in VA.

I went to Tech in early '9:flabbynsick:s. It was 30-35% black , 15% Hispanic the rest split among the rest but mostly asian. How tf is the number single digits 20 years later? It's systematic and the problem lies in the elementary and jhs's . Tho i'm fully behind ADOS this is one of the slight flaws in the argument. When i was in JHS the JHS i went to was designed for top students out the district. we were segregated had a completely diff accelerated curriculum and we were to enter HS @ sophmore year as opposed to fresh. There were programs like this throughout the city. A majority of the kids i went to school with ended up in tech/science/stuy or Hunter and a few comparable schools.
I got thrown out off sum bull, but with the world being as small as it is one of my boys is married to a chick that taught at the same JHS and she told me how the principal of the program was indited on purging out the black kids and i was one of the first. He wasnt the only one tho others have been busted for doing the same thing. Fooliani after he was elected gutted programs that existed as feeders to the specialized schools. Folks have done studies how he cut funding to schools that were in predominately black and brown neighborhoods. Bloomburg continued the same practices, charters only exist to do the same but hide behind the argument of school choice.

I used to mess with this philipino joint and she used to tutor on the weekends. All throughout china town and Flushing for Asian kids, Kew Gardens and I forgot that heavily Jewish part of BK near Midwood on the weekends they have kids tutoring for the test at these "community" centers and they start em young. I never heard of that growing up but they existed for years it became profitable after Rudy and Bloomy financial decisions.

Lastly, there is a parental dynamic that affects this. The wife like human is a HS teacher and every year 3 times a year they have parent night and its usually 3-5 parents that show up. She was gassed when one time 8 parents showed up cause thats the most she ever had, she has about 60-75 kids a year

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Black men are thrown in jail at a far higher rate than any other race and for longer with each

No offense breh, but you don't know what you talking about. Cacs hold us back from going through school. If it weren't for them we'd be behind Asians

bruh ive been working in the education field for the past 4 years. How can you tell me I dont know what im talking about?
There are no cacs where I live or work. This is Atlanta...black folk are the majority here.

You cant blame cacs in every city. We have maybe 400 kids at my school and there are probably 4 white kids..there is 1 white adult in the whole school out of 70 or so faculty and staff.

Some parents in the black community dont stress education to their kids. the kids come to school and act a fool and nothing happens at home. we cant even get most of the parents to pick up when we call or come to meetings

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I went with my niece to visit Exeter it was at that moment that i realized there is a whole whole 'nother world out there as it relates to education. She eventually chose an all girls out in VA.

I went to Tech in early '9:flabbynsick:s.

Brooklyn Tech from early 90s? ,Oh you're
evil_decepticons.png
?

just jokes

It was 30-35% black , 15% Hispanic the rest split among the rest but mostly asian. How tf is the number single digits 20 years later? It's systematic and the problem lies in the elementary and jhs's . Tho i'm fully behind ADOS this is one of the slight flaws in the argument. When i was in JHS the JHS i went to was designed for top students out the district. we were segregated had a completely diff accelerated curriculum and we were to enter HS @ sophmore year as opposed to fresh. There were programs like this throughout the city. A majority of the kids i went to school with ended up in tech/science/stuy or Hunter and a few comparable schools.

I got thrown out off sum bull, but with the world being as small as it is one of my boys is married to a chick that taught at the same JHS and she told me how the principal of the program was indited on purging out the black kids and i was one of the first. He wasnt the only one tho others have been busted for doing the same thing. Fooliani after he was elected gutted programs that existed as feeders to the specialized schools. Folks have done studies how he cut funding to schools that were in predominately black and brown neighborhoods. Bloomburg continued the same practices, charters only exist to do the same but hide behind the argument of school choice.

Wasn't aware of this in NYC, thanks.
On local levels we need Black media to attend council meetings, follow political decisions and report them in manner that people can follow. So we're aware of these plans and can act to block them or counter them.
Fooliani did that, while simultaneously lowering the entrance requirement for cops during a period. Letting in a flood of unqualified white blue collar guys into police force who otherwise would not have gotten in.

I used to mess with this philipino joint and she used to tutor on the weekends. All throughout china town and Flushing for Asian kids, Kew Gardens and I forgot that heavily Jewish part of BK near Midwood on the weekends they have kids tutoring for the test at these "community" centers and they start em young. I never heard of that growing up but they existed for years it became profitable after Rudy and Bloomy financial decisions.

Internal responses from their communities to externally controlled decisions. I have to respect them taking action.
We started summer SAT prep class for kids at my mom's church (on Saturdays). Only requirement was that parents stay on premises during class. See if you can guess what happened.

I always felt that the guys who are 3rd + generation firemen and civil servants get early exposure to what those tests are like, if not tutoring from former nyfd brass. Not a thing stopping our communities from doing the same thing.

Lastly, there is a parental dynamic that affects this. The wife like human is a HS teacher and every year 3 times a year they have parent night and its usually 3-5 parents that show up. She was gassed when one time 8 parents showed up cause thats the most she ever had, she has about 60-75 kids a year

Parents won't even show up to the FIRST Parent/Teacher conference. They are sending the signal to the teacher that they don't care about their children's education, whether they know it or not. Sending the same message to their kids.

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

The system does play a huge role, but it takes away from individual responsibilities, does it not?.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

Coli told me the black folks doing in education good are Africans, and Africans aint black

:troll: