Official The Oscars Thread 2022

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Do you have any idea what a DIRECTOR does breh:gucci: its much more than yelling “ACTION!” And hoping for the best.

A DIRECTOR has to also be in charge of storyboarding. Where so you think the “skilled individuals behind VFX and sound design” get their initial instruction? Who do you think actually recruits the cinematographer and works with him setting up shots? Who do you think has to approve the final VFX designs? Who do you think has to approve the final placement of songs and score? Who do you think spends most of their time during pre-production putting all of this together?

Its the DIRECTOR.

One wrong choice and an epic, special effects heavy film can be dead on arrival. Denis Villeneuve is the anchor that made all the moving parts of that film come together. He deserved a Directing nom.
:comeon:
:russell:

• Best Picture
• Best Adapted Screenplay
• Best Cinematography
• Best Film Editing
• Best Visual Effects
• Best Original Score
• Best Production Design
• Best Costume Design
• Best Sound
• Best Makeup

Look at the categories that it got nominated for. The movie looked good, it was a blockbuster with impressive visuals, camera work and production. But actual execution around how the STORY was told (which is the most important element that the director is responsible for) was LACKING.

They nominated it for Best Picture because of how great it was from an aesthetic standpoint, every other category is for rewarding the people who actually EXECUTED the task they were called on to do. It's not for who cut the check or who hired them... BREH. All the categories listed are a result of the sum of multiple different teams efforts. It's just unfortunate that all that great work was put into what was a boring ass movie. But it happens.

:manny:

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
I can see both sides for dune.

However, I think despite it not reaching its full potential (for me atleast, because it was on the wrong medium, it should have been a GOT style series; saying that as a non-book reader) it was a 8/10 movie and you can’t tell me all those people directed better than denis

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Justice for The Last Duel and The Green Knight
red-rocket-sean-baker.gif

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
:comeon:
:russell:

• Best Picture
• Best Adapted Screenplay
• Best Cinematography
• Best Film Editing
• Best Visual Effects
• Best Original Score
• Best Production Design
• Best Costume Design
• Best Sound
• Best Makeup

Look at the categories that it got nominated for. The movie looked good, it was a blockbuster with impressive visuals, camera work and production. But actual execution around how the STORY was told (which is the most important element that the director is responsible for) was LACKING.

They nominated it for Best Picture because of how great it was from an aesthetic standpoint, every other category is for rewarding the people who actually EXECUTED the task they were called on to do. It's not for who cut the check or who hired them... BREH. All the categories listed are a result of the sum of multiple different teams efforts. It's just unfortunate that all that great work was put into what was a boring ass movie. But it happens.

:manny:

I’ma just put this here. If you don’t agree after watching this that Villeneuve was the driving force behind this movie’s success then we will just agree to disagree

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
:unimpressed:
Is the director behind the skilled individuals behind the movie's sound, vfx and production design? The movie was shot really well, and there's a cinematography category for that

The actual story and how it was told was mostly meeeeh IMO, stans who knew the story before hand enjoyed it, but new viewers weren't really praising it like diehard stans.

Guess you forgot the Screenplay was also nominated and the movie itself was nominated for Best Picture?

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Guess you forgot the Screenplay was also nominated and the movie itself was nominated for Best Picture?
Nah, I didn't forget. The "Adapted Screenplay" category is specifically for movies that are based on previously made material AKA remakes
:mjlol:

And I've already said, they nominated it for Best Picture due to the level of quality for everything else.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Nah, I didn't forget. The "Adapted Screenplay" category is specifically for movies that are based on previously made material AKA remakes

its still the screenplay for THE movie you are watching regardless of whether it's based on previous materials. You mentioned story... the screenplay is the story

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
fukk the Oscar’s