Official The New Edition Story Thread

Nahmeanz

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just got around to watching this. It was really dope to me since I was a big fan of NE growing up and I lived and worked a few blocks from OP for about 10 years. Too good.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
:whoo: WOW!!! I just looked up Boyz II Men's discography on Wikipedia. According to Wikipedia, Boyz II Men's 1st album went 9x Platinum and their 2nd album went 12x Platinum (Their 3rd album in 1997 went 2x Platinum). Also the Christmas album they released in 1993 went 2x album, the remix album they released in 1995 went Platinum, the Greatest hits album they released in 2001 went Gold, and their 4th & 5th albums they released in the early 2000's both managed to go Gold.

:ohhh: If this is the case, Boyz II Men had be the biggest male R&B act (Solo or group) in the 90's. @#1 pick was right. I've yet to get into Boyz II Men's hits, so I was not aware they were this big.

@stomachlines
Boyz II Men is the biggest selling R&B group of all time.

"I'll make love" or "One Sweet Day" to you spent like 3 months at #1 on the billboard singles chart.

edit: yeah, both songs spent months atop the billboard singles chart. Those brothers made some great R&B music back then.

MVike28

right around the ACC
Daps
Reppin
T.O.
:whoo: WOW!!! I just looked up Boyz II Men's discography on Wikipedia. According to Wikipedia, Boyz II Men's 1st album went 9x Platinum and their 2nd album went 12x Platinum (Their 3rd album in 1997 went 2x Platinum). Also the Christmas album they released in 1993 went 2x album, the remix album they released in 1995 went Platinum, the Greatest hits album they released in 2001 went Gold, and their 4th & 5th albums they released in the early 2000's both managed to go Gold.

:ohhh: If this is the case, Boyz II Men had be the biggest male R&B act (Solo or group) in the 90's. @#1 pick was right. I've yet to get into Boyz II Men's hits, so I was not aware they were this big.

@stomachlines
:dahell:

how old are you?

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
as for ralph and whether or not he couldve been bigger:

while he had the talent, and i'm sure they wouldve put the resources around him, 2 things fukked up his solo career: timing and the public's change for rnb....first was timing, he waited too late...if he wouldve dropped his solo shyt right after the 1st NE album, he wouldve been good....

with that said, the change in society fukked him more than anything...he was a straight laced gentleman rnb singer, a throwback to the older style of rnb...by the time he came out as a solo act, society/the public had started down the path of not wanting that anymore...they wanted edgy type rnb acts...that's part of the reason bobby blew up the way he did; why jodeci was accepted faster and is looked back on more favorably than b2m, even though they sang about the same shyt; why the public turned on whitney for no other reason than they thought she was 'too clean imaged' (smh); etc......but it wasnt just in rnb, that change was happening in society period from wrestling to comics to movies etc....the public started going away from clear cut 'good'/'bad' guy images/roles/etc, an starting mixing the shyt up.....

Boyz II Men dominated the charts like no other R&B group ever, including New Edition. Don't front on BIIM
Boyz II Men dominated, but the rest of the genre changed.

I actually think BBD's run fukked up Ralph's run. BBD was the first group to really embrace hip hop and have major success.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
:whoo: WOW!!! I just looked up Boyz II Men's discography on Wikipedia. According to Wikipedia, Boyz II Men's 1st album went 9x Platinum and their 2nd album went 12x Platinum (Their 3rd album in 1997 went 2x Platinum). Also the Christmas album they released in 1993 went 2x platinum, the remix album they released in 1995 went Platinum, the Greatest hits album they released in 2001 went Gold, and their 4th & 5th albums they released in the early 2000's both managed to go Gold.

@stomachlines

:dahell:

how old are you?

I'm 28. I didn't really start listening to R&B/Hip-Hop till 2000. Boyz II Men was irrelevant by than.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I think this is the Record Label dude that was with them at the time but he was saying Ralph had a bad drug problem too and wondered why they didn't include it in the biopic. I remember being caught a little off guard when they made a comment wondering about Bobby or Ralph being able to make every show at some point in the movie.

he looks fukked up :damn:

MVike28

right around the ACC
Daps
Reppin
T.O.
xcWisQ298S9ry.gif

:russ:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
I JUST finished watching ALL 3 parts of this! @TheGregReaper :myman:

Man, I don't even know where to begin. I guess that this is the best music biopic best I've seen since The Jacksons American Dream and The Temptations biopic.

I loved how the movie focused on EVERYONE and it seems like we got a point of view from everybody's perspective. This was really really well done.

Great screenplay, directing and acting. All actors and actresses did a great job. This deserves some awards.

They did a great job capturing all the major events that took place and the timeline was on point.

This is how you do a biopic.

If and when this comes out on Blu-ray, I gotta get a copy.

These guys have seen it all and been through it all but at the end of the day, the LOVE for 1 another has always been there. BROTHERHOOD, love and respect for each other has always remained even when they won't always seeing eye to eye or even talking.

The camaraderie these brothers got for each is other is second to none and that's what shines through.

I haven't enjoyed watching something on tv this great in a long time.

Congrats to New Edition and BET for putting together an epic biopic.:salute: This is what I call an instant classic. :myman:
:wow: This is best exemplified in this Bell Biv DeVoe music video:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
I didn't even think of this until now.... but if New Edition albums all have Expanded Versions...

*checks solo artists*

Yep

Poison , Don't Be Cruel, Ralph Tresvant and Johnny Gill all have Expanded Versions now
Where are these expanded versions of the New Edition & Solo albums at? I didn't see them on Amazon.com.

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Depends on how you look at it. Boyz 2 Men crossed over. White people was eating their shyt up too. Jodeci was unapologetically Black. Nothing Pop about them.

Boyz II Men didn't cross over. They were(are) a black R&B group singing R&B music. Their videos were full of beautiful black women. They were some dudes from Philly. White people crossed over to them. People around the world crossed over to them. Their style of R&B remained popular throughout the 90s with other groups as well. Yes, the more hip-hop type R&B gained popularity, but the idea that non-hip-hop type R&B lost steam at that point is false.