Official The New Edition Story Thread

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As a kid and my parents age loved BIIM

you nor your parents represent everyone though....just think back to that time: we (blacks) turned on whitney cause people thought her image was 'too clean'....while both were accepted and pretty much made the same music, jodeci got shown a lot more love than b2m cause of their image....r kelly coming through crushing buildings with the x rated rnb while cats that were still on the gentlemen look/vibe were getting left behind....bradny shining then monica coming out of no where to take a lot of her shine cause of her image....it was all cause of a change in society....wrestling went from faces/heels to anti face/hero types....comics, movies, tv, etc. went with the over the type violence, language, etc. to have edge to it....

...i'm not knocking b2m, they one of my fav groups and one of the best of all time...just used them as an example to show the change in society that was happening, and that being one of the reasons ralph didnt blow like people thought he would/should....

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
you nor your parents represent everyone though....just think back to that time: we (blacks) turned on whitney cause people thought her image was 'too clean'....while both were accepted and pretty much made the same music, jodeci got shown a lot more love than b2m cause of their image....r kelly coming through crushing buildings with the x rated rnb while cats that were still on the gentlemen look/vibe were getting left behind....bradny shining then monica coming out of no where to take a lot of her shine cause of her image....it was all cause of a change in society....wrestling went from faces/heels to anti face/hero types....comics, movies, tv, etc. went with the over the type violence, language, etc. to have edge to it....

...i'm not knocking b2m, they one of my fav groups and one of the best of all time...just used them as an example to show the change in society that was happening, and that being one of the reasons ralph didnt blow like people thought he would/should....
Who is we? You are just one nikka, same for me. The numbers don't agree with you. Even on Black radio

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Who is we? You are just one nikka, same for me. The numbers don't agree with you. Even on Black radio

'we' is me going off what was happening at the time....from the people i interacted with, to the media, etc.....if you noticed, i'm not the only one that said the same thing....

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
'we' is me going off what was happening at the time....from the people i interacted with, to the media, etc.....if you noticed, i'm not the only one that said the same thing....
The media says otherwise. So you mean nikkas on your block in your city. Because on my block in 1999, Pastor Troy was the king of rap. Most nationally never heard of him

But you the only hard headed nikka saying Boyz II Men or their style wasn't popping in the early 90s. How sway?

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The media says otherwise. So you mean nikkas on your block in your city. Because on my block in 1999, Pastor Troy was the king of rap. Most nationally never heard of him

But you the only hard headed nikka saying Boyz II Men or their style wasn't popping in the early 90s. How sway?

troy was more known than you think....

plenty of others in here said the same thing in regards to why ralph didnt blow like people thought he wouldve, but if you say so...

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
troy was more known than you think....

plenty of others in here said the same thing in regards to why ralph didnt blow like people thought he wouldve, but if you say so...
Plenty on here have no clue what they are talking about. The numbers just don't agree. If you want to say, Jodeci had the youth, mainly the club seen, it's one thing saying BIIM was out of style, that's not true.

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Plenty on here have no clue what they are talking about. The numbers just don't agree. If you want to say, Jodeci had the youth, mainly the club seen, it's one thing saying BIIM was out of style, that's not true.

i'm not saying them as a group nor their music was out of style, i'm talking about the image...that clean cut image wasnt as popular, was going out, and being replaced by the new edgy image...hell, they even tried an edgy, bbd type image mixed with the clean cut image early in their career, but then said fukk it when jodeci took that and ran with it...and b2m just stuck to the old school, clean cut image as a contrast to what was going on at the time...which actually helped them appeal to everyone and helped those numbers you speak of...

...again: i was only talking about image when i brought them up talking about why ralph didnt blow like people thought he would....not their music, talent, etc...

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
i'm not saying them as a group nor their music was out of style, i'm talking about the image...that clean cut image wasnt as popular, was going out, and being replaced by the new edgy image...hell, they even tried an edgy, bbd type image mixed with the clean cut image early in their career, but then said fukk it when jodeci took that and ran with it...and b2m just stuck to the old school, clean cut image as a contrast to what was going on at the time...which actually helped them appeal to everyone and helped those numbers you speak of...

...again: i was only talking about image when i brought them up talking about why ralph didnt blow like people thought he would....not their music, talent, etc...

THIS...

because even tho' BIIM was extremely popular, no denying that at all, they were also the exception rather than the rule by the time their 2nd album dropped. They were clean-cut and damn near every other popular male group was wearin' Tims and jeans. They were basically an R&B group with the most pop appeal at the time, but there were more acts going in the Jodeci/R. Kelly direction. This was reflected even further by the time they dropped their 3rd album, when the hip-hop soul era was in full swing and even the pop crowd was going in that direction.