Official Queen & Slim Thread

THEREALBRAND

Eterno Menino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eu Sou O Segundo
Gorgeous mediocrity. Whoever called this Belly 2019 was on point. Cinematography was exquisite but the story left A LOT to be desired and just kind of ends.

Slim is a fukking moron and Queen is a stuck up bytch who wasn't worth the bandwidth used to load the Tinder profile.

The kid and his "ghetto" father who got hit by their truck :snoop:

Said truck being stolen from the sheriff :skip:

That godawful gas station scene with Slim that almost made me cut this shyt off :mindblown::wtf::dahell::what::hhh:

These nikkas on the run but decide to go horseback riding because hey...the mention of slavery days will get us likes on Black Twitter :comeon:

The sex scene juxtaposed with the protest that ends with the mechanics kid killing a decent cop :mjtf:

The "it be your own people" cherry on top at the end :francis:

This could've been a better movie in more capable hands

All of the side trips these two idiots were making was so frustrating. Who in their right mind is stopping to go dancing or horseback riding while their on the run from the law for murder :dahell:

Imagine if you turned on the news and saw a wanted fugitive got caught at a nightclub. That would be comedic fodder for years. There was some stuff that I liked, but the lack of realism in that regard really overshadowed everything else. By the end of the movie I didn’t even care if they got caught, because they clearly didn’t.

Last edited:

Izanami

Superstar
Daps
Movie was fukking ass and a waste of my time. Felt like I got conned and finessed. Felt like they rode the wave and took advantage of my spirit.

Made Queen unlikeable and stuck up.

They had the young black kid kill a good cop who happened to be a bruh:mindblown:

Queen uncle being a pimp who killed her mother :rudy:

Stupid fukking movie that used black plight and current events to finesse you into watching it.

Izanami

Superstar
Daps
Ok....is it me, or did their performances seem kinda "soulless"? Her aggressive attitude seems so forced, as if she was "acting like" an American black woman. Even the tired trope of black people having the age old "big Luther vs lil Luther" debate seemed like a paint by numbers attempt to be a "black American" film. Maybe its just me, but I watched a cast of B-level actresses and a rapper kill "Set It Off" and made me connect with the soul of the characters. For all the acclaim this movie is getting, I thought it would at least be a powerful performance by the characters. It wasn't. Anytime non acting Bokeem Woodbine steals the show, the acting was trash.

On a deeper level, I just didn't vibe with the representation of the black man in this movie. She's an attorney, buddy a cashier at Costco's; Slim character was weak and needed direction at every turn from the woman; first brother they encounter calling his old ladies bytches in front of his son; Bokeem and his harem of hoes that he even slaps around (even threw a tranny in the scene with half naked women so men watching the the movie that dont know the difference can maybe get an "accidental" lustful moment for a man and normalize it); the c00n mechanic that doesn't agree with what they did (self defense); random scene of black on black violence (black boy and black cop) that seemed unprovoked and unnecessary; and topped off with the money hungry c00n sellout from the trailer parks. Meanwhile, every white male in the movie was sympathetic and all of their shortcomings got explained away. Even the cop who was a dikk, had his actions explained away by having her "reach" for something. The sheriff had the drop on them and even up until the trunk closed, he was sympathetic. The bumbling idiot at the gas station paid for their gas in exchange for holding the gun. Flea and his wife doing their updated version of the underground railroad. Hell, even the white cop that called the black cop "boy" got off with a "you know what I mean" quip cause the black cop "read too much into it". This movie didnt stick with me.

BINGO

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
steal a sheriff truck and ride around in it? Let a white boy hold yout glock? You got an attorney in the car bit she says nothing about him popping the trunk? She tells him to run after this? And he does it? Yeah, i get you have no chance doing that but still. And just everybody knowing them and nobody snitching. And the little kid shooting the cop just ruined the message of the movie. Its not about shooting innocent cops.

All this. The story was moved by dumb decision making and general ratchetness. None of it was realistic. They dropped the ball by making the couple some 1st date tinder shyt amongst many other things.

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
First, lemme start with a customary Lena W is trash. :yeshrug:

Now, on to the movie itself. It was visually stunning, and I liked it overall, but it had some real problems at the end of the day that's already been mentioned in this thread. I don't like how week that made breh as the lead. I get what they were trying to do but it was heavy handed as fucc and they poured it on thick. They both became a little more sure of themselves as they embraced the freedom of being on the run but my god if they didn't commit some of the most stupidest shyt known to man throughout this flick. It's like, the general anxiety created by the film's atmosphere would ultimately be ruined by both these mf's doing some dumb shyt.

The sex scene was really good and yet they chose to cut that off the knees wit lil breh cappin' an innocent black man in the grill :hhh:

Overall, movie had hella potential but fell short of reaching its pinnacle. Still, I enjoyed it a lot more than what I thought I would, which is why it took me so long to getting around to watching it in theb1st place. The two Brits had nice chemistry and when they were allowed to flourish in moments like in the lil dive bar, it's great, but again, it a take you right back out wit some dumb shyt.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Just watched trumps speech from yesterday. He makes a point to talk about a black police officer who was shot in the riots

immediately made me think of us all commenting about this movie. Especially that scene. And now here we are.

While different in details.... a cop video has lead a nation of black people to stand up and protest. And it’s gotten out of hand. And a black cop is who paid for it.

I said that was the message when I saw it. And I definitely think I was right about it now.

Still a silly movie tho

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I don't think I have ever hated a well-made film more in my life than this. The screenplay was borderline trash, I totally got that it was more of a romantic fantasy story but they root it in such realism that almost every decision made by anyone just becomes too dumb for words.

The gas station scene with the school shooter asking to hold the gun was bad enough. I never walk out of a movie but it was there and then that I realized the sloppy execution of the cop killing scene was only the start of this film's narrative problems.

The sex scene juxtaposed with the protest was baffling. Matter of fact, sex scenes never work in juxtaposition of anything other than violence (love vs hurt). Might be the worst narrative use of a sex scene since Munich.

Of course the protest scene in itself is a contender for worst scene in the film by including the black kid who worships them and shoots the cop. No matter what idea they had behind it, no matter how they wanted to emphasize the dangers of worship culture of cop killers, how do you put that scene together and not see how bad the optics are of having a black boy pull out a gun at a protest and kill a cop? That visual is a 'Law & Order' touting MAGA's wet dream.

Which brings me to the portrayal of black people in general. I'm the last person to complain about agendas but this was like a parody of every spirit of hotep-induced criticism of the media's portrayal of black men put together. It is a horrid cocktail of every bad black male stereotype they could think of (openly adultering father who curses out his son, pimp who beats women) but simultaneously featuring no less than three goodhearted light skin black cops (the cop at Earl's house who loved one of his girls, the cop getting shot at the protest and the cop letting them escape).

And all the white people are comfortably nice to a point of madness. They encounter a nice white sheriff from Kentucky who even as he is informed by radio he likely has two black suspects sitting in his vehicle, doesn't immediately call it in but calmly tries to talk to them even as he clearly catches Slim trying to start and steal his pickup. Again, a white sheriff from Kentucky!

Then there's the nice white couple who have no problem harboring fugitives they don't personally know because an old army friend asked them to. No problem whatsoever committing this serious felony. But the next person the couple refer them to immediately sells them out (that person is black of course).

This film needed a serious rewrite or two by someone not having their head stuck up their self centered ass, it could've actually turned classic. It's nothing but praise for the director to actually make the romance somewhat work in this toxic mess of a story.

Izanami

Superstar
Daps
I don't think I have ever hated a well-made film more in my life than this. The screenplay was borderline trash, I totally got that it was more of a romantic fantasy story but they root it in such realism that almost every decision made by anyone just becomes too dumb for words.

The gas station scene with the school shooter asking to hold the gun was bad enough. I never walk out of a movie but it was there and then that I realized the sloppy execution of the cop killing scene was only the start of this film's narrative problems.

The sex scene juxtaposed with the protest was baffling. Matter of fact, sex scenes never work in juxtaposition of anything other than violence (love vs hurt). Might be the worst narrative use of a sex scene since Munich.

Of course the protest scene in itself is a contender for worst scene in the film by including the black kid who worships them and shoots the cop. No matter what idea they had behind it, no matter how they wanted to emphasize the dangers of worship culture of cop killers, how do you put that scene together and not see how bad the optics are of having a black boy pull out a gun at a protest and kill a cop? That visual is a 'Law & Order' touting MAGA's wet dream.

Which brings me to the portrayal of black people in general. I'm the last person to complain about agendas but this was like a parody of every spirit of hotep-induced criticism of the media's portrayal of black men put together. It is a horrid cocktail of every bad black male stereotype they could think of (openly adultering father who curses out his son, pimp who beats women) but simultaneously featuring no less than three goodhearted light skin black cops (the cop at Earl's house who loved one of his girls, the cop getting shot at the protest and the cop letting them escape).

And all the white people are comfortably nice to a point of madness. They encounter a nice white sheriff from Kentucky who even as he is informed by radio he likely has two black suspects sitting in his vehicle, doesn't immediately call it in but calmly tries to talk to them even as he clearly catches Slim trying to start and steal his pickup. Again, a white sheriff from Kentucky!

Then there's the nice white couple who have no problem harboring fugitives they don't personally know because an old army friend asked them to. No problem whatsoever committing this serious felony. But the next person the couple refer them to immediately sells them out (that person is black of course).

This film needed a serious rewrite or two by someone not having their head stuck up their self centered ass, it could've actually turned classic. It's nothing but praise for the director to actually make the romance somewhat work in this toxic mess of a story.

I never felt so pissed and felt taking advantage of after watching a film until I saw this movie. One of the worst films ever. TRASH.