Official 2024 Oscars Thread

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
EXTREMELY HAPPY for all the American Fiction love! I’m pulling for them in ALL categories, fukk Oppenheimer.

Shocked that Greta Gerwig didn’t get a directing nom but the writing was on the wall when she missed out at the BAFTA’s.

Also surprised that America Ferrera got in for Best Supporting but they snubbed Margot Robbie for Best Actress, that one is STRANGE.

Glad that The Color Purple was virtually shut out. fukk that movie and anyone who brought a ticket to that slop. Danielle Brooks is a talented actress who will one day get her due but NOT for that mess.

They might as well just announce Spiderman as the winner for Best Animated Film tomorrow and save us the “We knew it already” tweets.

Godzilla: Minus One deserved both a Best Picture and Screenplay nomination. Debate your mother about it that shyt will remain firm for me

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Will eventually see Poor Things and American Fiction but this is a weaker set of films than last year.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Anatomy Of A Fall was good, but that is kinda one of those movies that Acaedmy will say they love, but no one would watch that again. It's very slow. And doesn't amount to all that much.

Past Lives was also very good, but a much easier to watch and maybe rewatch.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
posted in other thread:

and best supporting. Oppenheimer is going to get way too many awards, but the Academy is pretty much bullshyt. I had no idea until a friend in the industry put me on that it's like a political campaign. They spend and network and do favors to advance their movies. And the academy tends to love period pieces and vanity pics. but American Ficion deserves it's recognition. Not that the others don't, it's just it's almost assured that a lot of those Oscar prestige bait movies will be favored.

American Fiction could easily have been some weird indie that no one saw but me, even with Wright and Brown attached-- instead it's got national
attention.

like Oppenheimer, period piece biopic about someone "prestigious", Maestro is another one. Barbie because of Gerwig, and it was a meta feminist movie. Subversive in it's own way. But not TOO subversive. Academy loves that kind of thing too. Those are easy Oscar movies.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
RDJ likely got the Best Supporting Actor Oscar on lock.

I find this hilarious not because RDJ wouldn’t be a deserving winner but because he literally called this like ten years ago.

He was asked if starring as Tony Starks in so many big movies would somehow hurt his chances of ever winning an Oscar and he was basically like “Whether its for a role or an honorary trophy, i’m definitely getting one sooner or later”

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Please God no

And i’m mostly saying that because American Fiction deserves EVERYTHING not because Oppenheimer wasn’t a great movie in its own right.
Oh trust I don't want Oppenheimer to win, but it feel like one of those years were they give a big movie every award.
Personally I thought Oppenheimer was ok/good range

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
2024 #Oscar nominations count:

Oppenheimer: 13
Poor Things: 11
Killers of the Flower Moon: 10
Barbie: 8
Maestro: 7
The Holdovers: 5
American Fiction: 5
The Zone of Interest: 5
Anatomy of a Fall: 5
Napoleon: 3
Nyad: 2
Past Lives: 2

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Oh trust I don't want Oppenheimer to win, but it feel like one of those years were they give a big movie every award.
Personally I thought Oppenheimer was ok/good range

I thought it was truly above average but American Fiction is AMAZING.

I’ll say this, i won’t bytch whatsoever if Christopher Nolan wins best director but Adapted Screenplay, Best Actor, and Supporting Actor should all go to American Fiction and Cord Jefferson should have gotten a NOMINATION for Directing

Also i’d have very little problem if Bradley Cooper wins for Directing. Its hard pulling triple duty and he does a great job in every facet even if the film didn’t QUITE stick the landing for me. There was some great direction throughout the film