Official 2024 Oscars Thread

Daps
daemonova said:
Will eventually see Poor Things and American Fiction but this is a weaker set of films than last year.
daemonova,
If you get a chance you might want to catch Poor Things in the theater - matinee if you balk at the price. I thought the movie was pretty good thru the first half but the last act just felt kind of forced and spoiled it for me some. It looks pretty dope though which might not look as great on a small tv like my 46".

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
Hollywood doing everything it can to prop up decent, but not amazing movies just because they have non-white actors in it.

That's what's happening with Past Lives. It's what happened with Everything Everywhere All At Once. And it's what happened with Parasite.

The only problem is that this year, there's actual strong contenders with big time directors, so if Killers of the Flower Moon and Oppenheimer weren't competing, they'd absolutely shove Past Lives down everyone's throat.

And I'm not saying that there's anything wrong in highlighting or giving credit to these other films. But when they clearly aren't in that top tier level, I have a problem with it.

Given these options, I'd vote Oppenheimer for Best Picture. I just ....I'm not sure Killers of the Flower Moon is great film making as much as I think it's an important story about people who've long been ignored and abused. And I think Scorcese is getting overrated here. Even the acting was meh. Lily Gladstone getting a Best Actress nomination may be deserved. But for the 3 hours she was mostly sad and sick. Even within the film there was no range to her character. Nothing dynamic.

As far as The Holdovers -- I liked this movie. But you cannot convince me this is any different than Win/Win (2011). It's more or less the same story but with a prep school kid. I liked that movie too. But if Paul Giamatti wasn't winning for that movie, I don't see what makes this one any different. Well, I will concede this movie is better acted. That's fair.
Going after the Asian movies huh? Parasite was good and so was everything everywhere all at once :pachaha:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I’m not sure why Leo didn’t get nominated in a best leading role this Oscar season. I thought he did very well

He’s at that point as an actor where Denzel and Tom Hanks are. They simply do NOT give bad performances so they have to truly give transformative or career defining performances to get Oscar love. Its not fair but when you become a legend awards bodies are going to put you against your previous work and not the work of your current “peers” because you HAVE no peers.

Everybody loves Leo but i’m not trying to see another white man over first time powerhouse performances from Domingo and Wright. Cillian is the frontfunner and was always going to be a lock, so that leaves Paul Giamatti and Bradley Cooper. Cooper wrote, directed, produced, AND starred in a biopic about a beloved musician, he was always going to get in unless the movie was the worst film on earth. Giamatti is a fellow respected actor from a film that was both a crowd pleaser and got unexpected love from Golden Globes and SAG. Of the five I can only see the case for replacing Leo with Giamatti and I honestly don’t care enough to make that case and I guess the Academy voters felt the same.

Also lets not discount the fact that Leo didn’t even campaign. He lended most of his support to Lily Gladstone, and she got in. So Leo might not have even cared this go around to be nominated.

Last edited: