Official 2024 Oscars Thread

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hollywood doing everything it can to prop up decent, but not amazing movies just because they have non-white actors in it.

That's what's happening with Past Lives. It's what happened with Everything Everywhere All At Once. And it's what happened with Parasite.

The only problem is that this year, there's actual strong contenders with big time directors, so if Killers of the Flower Moon and Oppenheimer weren't competing, they'd absolutely shove Past Lives down everyone's throat.

And I'm not saying that there's anything wrong in highlighting or giving credit to these other films. But when they clearly aren't in that top tier level, I have a problem with it.

Given these options, I'd vote Oppenheimer for Best Picture. I just ....I'm not sure Killers of the Flower Moon is great film making as much as I think it's an important story about people who've long been ignored and abused. And I think Scorcese is getting overrated here. Even the acting was meh. Lily Gladstone getting a Best Actress nomination may be deserved. But for the 3 hours she was mostly sad and sick. Even within the film there was no range to her character. Nothing dynamic.

As far as The Holdovers -- I liked this movie. But you cannot convince me this is any different than Win/Win (2011). It's more or less the same story but with a prep school kid. I liked that movie too. But if Paul Giamatti wasn't winning for that movie, I don't see what makes this one any different. Well, I will concede this movie is better acted. That's fair.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Past Lives is such a weak contender it wouldn't even win the category for Best Foreign Film. Or I guess they're calling it International Feature these days.

It's a joke. And Hollywood has been doing this crap for a couple of years now.

Frankly, I'm not even sure why there's all this love for Korean movies lately when Spain and Norway/Sweden/Finland have been putting out great stuff for years.

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Past Lives is such a weak contender it wouldn't even win the category for Best Foreign Film. Or I guess they're calling it International Feature these days.

It's a joke. And Hollywood has been doing this crap for a couple of years now.

Frankly, I'm not even sure why there's all this love for Korean movies lately when Spain and Norway/Sweden/Finland have been putting out great stuff for years.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion about a movie, but the irony in your statement is white filmmakers crank out average movies all the time and still manage to get nominations every year.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
Everyone is entitled to their opinion about a movie, but the irony in your statement is white filmmakers crank out average movies all the time and still manage to get nominations every year.
It reminds me when I said I’m tired of Hollywood propping up below average black women when we have plenty of amazing ones that get overlooked.

Then someone pointed out Jennifer Aniston’s whole career which made me :ohhh:

The whole time, I was looking it through the lens of being “undermined” when really, I should be asking why do we have to be above and beyond just to be on the same level of our average white counterparts?

True equality is when mediocrity is rewarded across the board.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is true to some degree.

But are we really going to argue that it's important for mediocre movies with minorities get recognition? That's the hill to die on?

Don't we already have Tubi and Freevee for this?

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It reminds me when I said I’m tired of Hollywood propping up below average black women when we have plenty of amazing ones that get overlooked.

Then someone pointed out Jennifer Aniston’s whole career which made me :ohhh:

True equality is when mediocrity is rewarded across the board.
Has Jennifer Aniston been nominated for Best Actress or been in something that got Best Picture though?

:skip: