NYU announces separated dorms for black identified students.

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
I don't see the problem, no one is going to force students to stay in those dorms.

Look up how expensive a semester in the NYU dorms costs. Even by New York standards it's a fortune.

If you choose to stay in those overpriced hostel rooms rather than find something cheaper in a slightly more "dusty" neighborhood, that's on you, no matter your skin color.

The one thing I will say is the idea of having only black RAs in the dorm. For RAs, rent is free. This means more black students will have the opportunity to get free NYC housing if they so choose. That's a good thing.

GPBear

The Tape Crusader
Daps
Reppin
Bay-to-PDX
New York has plenty of :mjpls: Bard is in the Hudson, and black students have petitioned for basic street lights to be put up around campus because rednecks from the nearby towns terrorize them. :francis:

Baka's Weird Case

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
Wait, this is voluntary. Segregation was mandated and enforced by the state.

There are Black dorms at PWIs, but it's voluntary and non Blacks cannot legally be excluded from living there.
yeah at my undergrad they had floors for different ethnicities like a Black one, a Hispanic one, Asian one, Native one etc. completely optional

i think it should be available at PWIs in general

Barlow

He,Him,Nigguh
Daps
Lately, let's say this is a success..Once they graduate and enter the work world, how are they going to adjust to being around mostly non-Blacks?
Um the same way they would if they went to an hbcu or grew up in a black neighborhood?

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
whats the problem? A black organization asked for this. Why would they want to live around a bunch of cacs?
The older I get I don't want to live around white people.
Being around cacs is bad for your mental health. :yeshrug:
It's bad for your physical health too. Studies have been done on this.

Commish

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Um the same way they would if they went to an hbcu or grew up in a black neighborhood?

Hmm..

I will take the sarcasm..

Point is..

College teaches you how to network. At least it should. When you network with a diverse group of people, then you learn the game that they know.

White people as well as non Blacks have the plug. Get in good with the right one and you can get into a good financial situation. Once you do that, use the knowledge and expertise you have learned to help your own people out.

I think HBCU life is very enriching, but it may come with some limitations. The work world, especially high salary grossing one's isn't as diverse.

I have had both non Black roommates and Black roommates. Each situation taught me something and I think it helped me deal with a very large diverse workforce at my current profession. I sincerely hope these students will have a great college dorm life regardless if it is exclusive or not..