NYU announces separated dorms for black identified students.

Xyrax

Superstar
Daps
Watch those dorms be the most neglected ones on campus.
White people don't have a good record at being in charge of black spaces.
Campus security gonna in the black section acting all agressive and shyt.
the last buildings to receive renovations will be in that section,

It's one thing for black people to do their own thing independent of white people. But white people are still running this school. I see schools play favorites over mens and womans athletic programs,the men stay riding golf carts all around campus and shyt. Woman were walking everywhere. what makes you think they won't do the same with race?

Im surprised it took this many posts to highlight this. This works if black people are at the reigns of the whole operation. If we aren't then you just tried to improve things, but all you did was make it easier for the people in charge to neglect the black folks on campus. That's where security always gonna be escalating shyt, that's where the maintenance requests will be filled LAST, that's where medical assistance will take the longest to be dispatched to. Every other part of the campus will get priority because you don't have anyone on the power side of the equation to keep the shyt ticking fairly.

I understand their goal, and I even understand why they asked for it. But without power on BOTH SIDES of the coin; I would have instead went to an HBCU to get away from cacs, instead of walking into their domain and boxing myself in where they can pinpoint their harassment and neglect on me easier.

But I reckon they will see once this plays out... They will learn and they will be better equipped in the future, so Im not gonna press these young black upcoming kids. They are trying their best.

Lakers Offseason

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

It will happen. White students will ask for the same exclusive space, NYU will deny them (optics will look horrible for NYU if they give that kinda space for white students) and then the school is gonna be sued.

Or NYU is playing chess, allowing this precedent to be set that way they can create exclusive space for white folks:ohhh:

MaxPain

Hispaniola Exchange Student
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Where It’s Not Safe
What’s the issue with this? It’s voluntary and being around cacs is tiring:yeshrug: I don’t deal with them outside business hours. It has to involve money if I deal with them

Watch cacs complain they have no one to bother now:mjlol:

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
When u get tired to going to a cac school feeling like u not wanted
Got yacubians all in ya face
Not 1 member of the faculty or admin giving a fukk about your success
Having racist notes placed around campus and just hating your college existence...

Switch to a HBCU :blessed:

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Seems like the Black students want to segregate themselves and create a 'safe space' for themselves.

I am curious in knowing why these students could not go to an HBCU and get educated by a majority Black learning institution instead of getting educated @ a PWI and segregating themselves from others?

Lately, let's say this is a success..Once they graduate and enter the work world, how are they going to adjust to being around mostly non-Blacks?
It's NYU, big name. I don't think we would know who Spike Lee is without it.

Commish

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
It's NYU, big name. I don't think we would know who Spike Lee is without it.

Honestly, I am whatever about it. My concern is this segregation thing backfiring and hurting the Black students. If Black people controlled NYU, they I would take a different stance, but history showed us that Separate but Equal doesn't work in this country and will never work for any group that doesn't have any power.

Goat poster

KANG LIFE
Daps
We kinda had that when I went to NYU.

it wasn’t a whole dorm though it was just a floor in Water Street dorms.

they wouldn’t let us call it a “black” floor so we had to act like it was through a music inclusive program and coined it a “hip-hop” floor :yeshrug:

it was basically a black floor though :blessed:

Lotsford

All Star
Daps
Reppin
DMV
I did my research topic on this. Recommending it should be implemented in my University. It's a good idea for living spaces, because even in the cooperate world you're not sleeping with your white coworkers. You're sleeping at home. There is a campus full of white folk, you have to interact with them anytime you're out your dorm. That should be the one place where you don't have to deal with casual racism.

Sex Luthor

I'm like kryptonite to these thots
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NOLA
They aren't segregating classes. They are segregating dorms.

Did you ever stay in dorms? For the most part white people hung out with other white people, black people hung out with other black people. You had a few black and white people that knew each other from high school that were friends, or know each other through some extracurricular. Other than that they generally stay separate and it's not because they don't like each other or anything. They just gravitate towards people like them. Just like fraternities. Those people gravitate toward people with like minding attitudes and personalities.
I'm talking about dorms. How much interaction on a personal level do you really get in class? I'm speaking on social interactions.

People that live in all black neighborhoods or all white neighborhoods aren't comfortable when they interact on a personal level with the opposite. They don't live their lives never seeing the other race but they aren't comfortable on a personal level.

GMoney

Nostalgia Junkie
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Abundance
Honestly, I am whatever about it. My concern is this segregation thing backfiring and hurting the Black students. If Black people controlled NYU, they I would take a different stance, but history showed us that Separate but Equal doesn't work in this country and will never work for any group that doesn't have any power.

If NYU is currently fostering an environment where black students feel uncomfortable what makes these students think that same institution in good faith is going to or able to do a good job creating a safe black only environment?

For those who are unfamiliar with these dorms or neighborhood, we are talking about an urban campus in a cramped high rise in a busy white neighborhood.

A temporary share in a black neighborhood in Brooklyn or Uptown seems a better arrangement if one is inclined to be around other black folks instead of being on the "black floor" in a white and Asian high rise in a white neighborhood in a white and Asian school.