NYC is the GOAT melting pot for Black ethnicities

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Property taxes, those have always been the bane of PGCPS. Mo County, Howard County, and Fairfax County enjoy greater appreciation of their property taxes and as a result, they tend to get better amenities (and more adequate funding for their public school systems) than PG County. Our property taxes have finally begun to experience some degree of growth because my county was hurt BAD during the Great Recession more than half a decade ago and it took our real estate market a long ass while to recover and recouperate any type of gains. A lot of us in PG got a lil too greedy in the housing bubble and that contributed to screwing up the property tax rate. Granted, we’ve been had this issue with the property taxes for a long while since PGCPS wasn’t that good even before the recession but that and of course, the crime rate (which is high for a suburban area) and the stigma of such that has long had a hand in keeping the public school system mediocre. Me and my sister are products of PGCPS but my lil brother has been attending Montessori school since 1st grade.
I know a few people from DC, and this topic came up before. THEIR take is that, unlike other areas of the country with middle class Blacks who work in the private sector..that most of the Black middle class in DC area are govt. workers/civil servants of some kind.
THEIR take was that it's like comparing apples and oranges. General apathy among govt. workers compared to professionals and entrepreneurs that form middle class in other areas.
These convos took place before the housing and economic meltdowns.

Stacker Pentecost

Superstar
Daps

badtguy

Superstar
Daps
There's also a fair bit of mismanagement and incompetence on the PGCPS' board. Again, part of it comes back to property taxes in PG. The property tax base in PG country is very low when compared to MoCO, HoCO or Fairfax. I think part of it is lower home ownership rates compared to the aforementioned counties. Couple that with a very large population and you have a recipe for disaster.

With that, many concerned parents elect to pull their kids from public schools and go private. I went to college in the area and most of the kids I met from PG county went to private high schools for a better education. There was one dude who went to DuVal High (like the worst school in the county) and him even making it to the college I attended was considered an accomplishment.

:mjlol: Duval is probably middle to me. If we talk about worst we talking suitland, oxon hill, friendly, fairmount-

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Does anyone here from DC or MD can tell me about Montgomery County? I’m only familiar with DC and PG

Depends on what you want to know. Montgomery County aka MoCo, is probably the most diverse county in MD in terms of people living there. It's also one of the wealthiest in the state and country. Has some of the best public schools in the country.

In terms of Industry: Tech and Biomedical research are pretty big in the area. NIH, FDA and DoE are all in the area.

Some of the main areas in MoCo

Silver Spring: This is a mid-tier city with some pretty decent nightlife and restaurants. On the border of DC but about 15-20 mins from the "action of DC". It's a mix of suburban and urban. On the weekends it gets pretty interesting. There's a square where people come to eat, shop and hang out. It's a mix between young people, young couples, teens, new families and older couples. It's a pretty chill place. Very diverse in terms of people's origins.

Bethesda: Creme de la creme. Used to be a residential enclave for the well connected in DC, but lately the city has taken on a life of its own. More businesses have come into the area. Very pricey area to live in but it's usually ranked as one of the top places to live in the US. Also a very well educated populace. I think close to 40% of the adult population has a Masters or above. Median household income in the area is well about $150k annually. That said, area can be a bit :mjpls:. But outside that it's pretty cool. I'd say it's similar to Silver Spring in terms of feel i.e. that suburban mixed with urban feel, but it, Bethesda, is like 2 or 3 levels above Silver Spring, but not as diverse. I interned there for a summer in college and I remember walking around during my lunch breaks and not seeing that many people that looked like me. Bethesda is very close to NIH and it's about 10 min North of DC proper and about 15 mins North of Georgetown. All in all a really nice place.

Rockville: Formerly a very residential town that is now trying to emulate Bethesda. About 15 mins north of Bethesda. It's a pretty chill spot. The town square has some cool restaurants and newly built apartments, but overall it's offerings are pretty limited. Pretty well to do area although not as wealthy as Bethesda. Some areas of Rockville are a tad more rural. About 25 mins north of DC.

Germantown/Gaithersburg: About 10-15 mins north of Rockville. A very residential area but there is a mall/shopping center RIO that opened up in the area that's actually quite nice. Got some good restaurants and bars for people who don't want to drive all the way out to DC for a Friday night. Technically, these are different, distinct towns, but since they are pretty close by I grouped them together.

Potomac: The 1%. Potomac is to DC as the Hamptons is to NYC. Rural landscape with some home sitting on straight acres of land. My former college roommate invited me and some friends to watch the Manny vs Mayweather fight at his place way back when. Dude lived in an absolute mansion. I got home later that day and checked the home value of his house. $3.5 million. Potomac is on the very edge of Western MoCo. Borders the Potomac river and is about 30-40 mins from DC proper.

Takoma Park: A working class city with a very large Latino community, especially Salvadorians. There's this restaurant I go to for some Pupusas :ohlawd:. Not too much in the city. Outside of Latinos, there's also a sizable African immigrant community.

Overall MoCO is pretty cool. Pretty diverse in terms of the population, close to DC and pretty well run. It is quite expensive if you're looking to buy a home.

Last edited:

Sankofa Alwayz

#FBADOS #B1 #D(M)V #KnowThyself #WaveGod
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Girl County, MD
He been hustling for a minute, and finally getting his just due. If he keeps going, he is gonna be up there with the stars as far as being well known, and respected.

He is that NICE!

He's African descent, so once other African find out, they really gonna push him!

Word? :ohhh: Didn’t know he was an African brotha. Maaaan, if he does crossovers into the African market like Wale be doing, IDK is gonna be a major problem! He’s already has a large international following as it is.

Picture that nikka doing collabos with WizKid, Kwamz & Flava, Burna Boy, Tekno, Tiwa Savage, and them :whoo:

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
When I win I bring we with me
The irony :mjlol: ...as a southern bruh It's always NYC folks I see being the main ones complaining about other Diasporans :mjpls:

:sas2:
  • Ain't nobody of significance in Jackson Ms talking bout fukk "Africans", the don't like us, they stuck up
  • Ain't nobody of significance in Savanna Ga talk'n bout fukk Haitians
  • Ain't nobody of significance in Tuskegee AL talking about I don't like African Americans
  • etc etc
NYC is the main place all that kinda fukkery comes out of:pachaha:...but I'll let yall :cook::mjpls:

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
The irony :mjlol: ...as a southern bruh It's always NYC folks I see being the main ones complaining about other Diasporans :mjpls:

:sas2:
  • Ain't nobody of significance in Jackson Ms talking bout fukk "Africans", the don't like us, they stuck up
  • Ain't nobody of significance in Savanna Ga talk'n bout fukk Haitians
  • Ain't nobody of significance in Tuskegee AL talking about I don't like African Americans
  • etc etc
NYC is the main place all that kinda fukkery comes out of:pachaha:...but I'll let yall :cook::mjpls:

At least we actually have diversity of all black backgrounds up here. Can't say that about the South outside of DC and Houston. :mjlol:

Stacker Pentecost

Superstar
Daps
Depends on what you want to know. Montgomery County aka MoCo, is probably the most diverse county in MD in terms of people living there. It's also one of the wealthiest in the state and country. Has some of the best public schools in the country.

In terms of Industry: Tech and Biomedical research are pretty big in the area. NIH, FDA and DoE are all in the area.

Some of the main areas in MoCo

Silver Spring: This is a mid-tier city with some pretty decent nightlife and restaurants. On the border of DC but about 15-20 mins from the "action of DC". It's a mix of suburban and urban. On the weekends it gets pretty interesting. There's a square where people come to eat, shop and hang out. It's a mix between young people, young couples, teens, new families and older couples. It's a pretty chill place. Very diverse in terms of people's origins.

Bethesda: Creme de la creme. Used to be a residential enclave for the well connected in DC, but lately the city has taken on a life of its own. More businesses have come into the area. Very pricey area to live in but it's usually ranked as one of the top places to live in the US. Also a very well educated populace. I think close to 40% of the adult population has a Masters or above. Median household income in the area is well about $150k annually. That said, area can be a bit :mjpls:. But outside that it's pretty cool. I'd say it's similar to Silver Spring in terms of feel i.e. that suburban mixed with urban feel, but it, Bethesda, is like 2 or 3 levels above Silver Spring, but not as diverse. I interned there for a summer in college and I remember walking around during my lunch breaks and not seeing that many people that looked like me. Bethesda is very close to NIH and it's about 10 min North of DC proper and about 15 mins North of Georgetown. All in all a really nice place.

Rockville: Formerly a very residential town that is now trying to emulate Bethesda. About 15 mins north of Bethesda. It's a pretty chill spot. The town square has some cool restaurants and newly built apartments, but overall it's offerings are pretty limited. Pretty well to do area although not as wealthy as Bethesda. Some areas of Rockville are a tad more rural. About 25 mins north of Bethesda.

Germantown/Gaithersburg: About 10-15 mins north of Rockville. A very residential area but there is a mall/shopping center RIO that opened up in the area that's actually quite nice. Got some good restaurants and bars for people who don't want to drive all the way out to DC for a Friday night. Technically, these are different, distinct towns, but since they are pretty close by I grouped them together.

Potomac: The 1%. Potomac is to DC as the Hamptons is to NYC. Rural landscape with some home sitting on straight acres of land. My former college roommate invited me and some friends to watch the Manny vs Mayweather fight at his place way back when. Dude lived in an absolute mansion. I got home later that day and checked the home value of his house. $3.5 million. Potomac is on the very edge of Western MoCo. Borders the Potomac river and is about 30-40 mins from DC proper.

Takoma Park: A working class city with a very large Latino community, especially Salvadorians. There's this restaurant I go to for some Pupusas :ohlawd:. Not too much in the city. Outside of Latinos, there's also a sizable African immigrant community.

Overall MoCO is pretty cool. Pretty diverse in terms of the population, close to DC and pretty well run. It is quite expensive if you're looking to buy a home.

Very good rundown.

Is Chevy Chase technically Bethesda? :jbhmm: