NYC is the GOAT melting pot for Black ethnicities

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
Is Chevy Chase technically Bethesda? :jbhmm:

Technically? No. In every day speak? Yeah, might as well be.

Takoma Park: A working class city with a very large Latino community, especially Salvadorians. There's this restaurant I go to for some Pupusas :ohlawd:. Not too much in the city. Outside of Latinos, there's also a sizable African immigrant community.

They took Langley Park over in the 90s. That Kmart (if it's still there) was Latino-Central.

badtguy

Superstar
Daps
Depends on what you want to know. Montgomery County aka MoCo, is probably the most diverse county in MD in terms of people living there. It's also one of the wealthiest in the state and country. Has some of the best public schools in the country.

In terms of Industry: Tech and Biomedical research are pretty big in the area. NIH, FDA and DoE are all in the area.

Some of the main areas in MoCo

Silver Spring: This is a mid-tier city with some pretty decent nightlife and restaurants. On the border of DC but about 15-20 mins from the "action of DC". It's a mix of suburban and urban. On the weekends it gets pretty interesting. There's a square where people come to eat, shop and hang out. It's a mix between young people, young couples, teens, new families and older couples. It's a pretty chill place. Very diverse in terms of people's origins.

Bethesda: Creme de la creme. Used to be a residential enclave for the well connected in DC, but lately the city has taken on a life of its own. More businesses have come into the area. Very pricey area to live in but it's usually ranked as one of the top places to live in the US. Also a very well educated populace. I think close to 40% of the adult population has a Masters or above. Median household income in the area is well about $150k annually. That said, area can be a bit :mjpls:. But outside that it's pretty cool. I'd say it's similar to Silver Spring in terms of feel i.e. that suburban mixed with urban feel, but it, Bethesda, is like 2 or 3 levels above Silver Spring, but not as diverse. I interned there for a summer in college and I remember walking around during my lunch breaks and not seeing that many people that looked like me. Bethesda is very close to NIH and it's about 10 min North of DC proper and about 15 mins North of Georgetown. All in all a really nice place.

Rockville: Formerly a very residential town that is now trying to emulate Bethesda. About 15 mins north of Bethesda. It's a pretty chill spot. The town square has some cool restaurants and newly built apartments, but overall it's offerings are pretty limited. Pretty well to do area although not as wealthy as Bethesda. Some areas of Rockville are a tad more rural. About 25 mins north of Bethesda.

Germantown/Gaithersburg: About 10-15 mins north of Rockville. A very residential area but there is a mall/shopping center RIO that opened up in the area that's actually quite nice. Got some good restaurants and bars for people who don't want to drive all the way out to DC for a Friday night. Technically, these are different, distinct towns, but since they are pretty close by I grouped them together.

Potomac: The 1%. Potomac is to DC as the Hamptons is to NYC. Rural landscape with some home sitting on straight acres of land. My former college roommate invited me and some friends to watch the Manny vs Mayweather fight at his place way back when. Dude lived in an absolute mansion. I got home later that day and checked the home value of his house. $3.5 million. Potomac is on the very edge of Western MoCo. Borders the Potomac river and is about 30-40 mins from DC proper.

Takoma Park: A working class city with a very large Latino community, especially Salvadorians. There's this restaurant I go to for some Pupusas :ohlawd:. Not too much in the city. Outside of Latinos, there's also a sizable African immigrant community.

Overall MoCO is pretty cool. Pretty diverse in terms of the population, close to DC and pretty well run. It is quite expensive if you're looking to buy a home.

Only thing I give Moco is the school system- is very good people who went to school in Moco speak very well regardless of economic background.

but for for the purpose of buying a house I'd rather save $400,000-500,000 on a 1.2 milli house in moco and move to Bowie, Mitchellville area for $600,000.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Only thing I give Moco is the school system- is very good people who went to school in Moco speak very well regardless of economic background.

but for for the purpose of buying a house I'd rather save $400,000-500,000 on a 1.2 milli house in moco and move to Bowie, Mitchellville area for $600,000.

I'd still take MoCo just for the schools. Bowie or Mitchellville would mean private school, plus, I don't really like being too far from a major city.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps

Those MoCo houses are stupid expensive. The Waldorf houses are nice (ie. space) and affordable. That was a 3-4 years ago. I don't know if it's still that way now.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
So did the DMV overtake NYC as the GOAT melting pot? Or did we just drift over to this part of the country during conversation?

Thurgood Thurston III

#LLNB #LLLB #E4R | woooK nypdK
Daps
Reppin
The kirk to the fields
:mjlol: what you are talking about?

you have not lived in the DMV for the last 7 years nikka carribean carnival BEEN over.

There a gang of people who everyone would think was AA but started repping their parents country. I know alot people who I thought were AA but later found out they were haitian, jamaican, nigerian, cameroonian, salone, liberian, bajan, trini, guyanese, panamaian etc.

Aint no friction or funny style in NYC or DMV except the immigrant just came to america and to most immigrants everyone is seen as an outside.

No difference when
Jamaicans call Jamaican americans- Yankee, Nigerians call Nigerian-American Yankee boy,

I grew up in Flatbush and my building was almost completely Haitian. I never had a problem. Although, I don't think anyone knew that I was AA except for my actual friends.
I have heard the different caribbean groups, Hispanics, and Africans talk shyt about each other but never AAs. That's just my experience.

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
When I win I bring we with me
At least we actually have diversity of all black backgrounds up here. Can't say that about the South outside of DC and Houston. :mjlol:

That's why we have these little things called.....
  • Universities (where folks from around the world & country attend)
  • Airplanes (where you can travel to those folks home)
I'll take my "southern living" and be just fine. :whew: ....but hey if NYC and it's "diversity" is your thing:hubie: "You like it I love it" :yeshrug::ehh:

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
So did the DMV overtake NYC as the GOAT melting pot? Or did we just drift over to this part of the country during conversation?

Don't flatter yourself, no city will ever trump NYC in diversity. :mjlol: But i will say yall dc brehs are top 3.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
Moco imo is similar to PG depending on area silver spring beltsville(places that border DC/PG), the same demographics that are present in PG are present in Moco except there are much more white people and el savadorians in moco. Also Moco people dont have a "PG/DC" accent- they talk proper as fukk unless they lived in DC/PG.

Ok my best friend sister just hit me up with a high paying job offer there for the company Booz Allen Hamilton so I just wanted to know. So far I don’t see no black areas but then again I just started my research