Normani finally releasing her album, album cover is oversexual, she hasn’t learned after her other failed attempts

Dwayne_Taylor

Superstar
Daps
Could be worse, could be her riding around on a white rocket (or a pink one). :scusthov:

Trying to go viral. Music is much less the product here. Rather, it is the brand that is being pushed. The entire gestalt of the artist. Who they are and what they represent is key. Music only plays a small part in that. Her image is another.
I understand what you're saying about branding but it still doesn't make sense.

Men aren't going to buy any products her image could market; women's clothing, womens shoes make up etc. We're not buying that stuff lol. I could see it if she were in beer commercials or something.

I think they want the women who buy her music to see themselves in her and feel empowered by these images but it's not connecting

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
:yeshrug:Ol girl was never going to be “it” regardless of her image, or the music she releases. Not only did her label dropped the ball with her. She’s also deemed boring by the same people she’s pandering to. And by boring I mean her actions outside of music. Black twitter be gassing these people up, just to tear them down smh. And it’s harder today for black women to blow up doing pop. I think RiRi is the last black female pop star we had if I’m not mistaken.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
:yeshrug:Ol girl was never going to be “it”regardless of her image, or the music she releases. Not only did her label dropped the ball with her. She’s also deemed boring by the same people she’s pandering to. And by boring I mean her actions outside of music. Black twitter be gassing these people up, just to tear them down smh. And it’s harder today for black women to blow up doing pop. I think RiRi is the last black female pop star we had if I’m not mistaken.
SZA has become as big of a star as you can become in today’s music landscape. But the last mega pop stars in the way that we knew them are all people who debuted before 2014ish - weeknd, bieber, Adele, etc

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
No offense but what does their health have to do with her parading around like a ho? Like Chloe, it’s just doesn’t feel natural on her and it clearly hasn’t helped move the needle. She’s been trying to drop an album and be a star for 7-8 years now. That’s plenty of time to find a gimmick that works, whether your music takes off or not, she could’ve been found a look and persona that resonated with her fans
I mean, I think it's worked? She has some hype going into this album so that means something's been done something right to get this point for whatever reason. There's no telling if she goes all out fully-clothed that she'd have more fans than she currently does.

The four, non-Camilla members of Fifth Harmony have basically received no push and it even looks like Normani's personal team, the other three members and Normani herself are doing her album promotion themselves (which is why she made that mistake a few days ago posting as her Fanclub stan account).

It's tough for a non-lead singer to break out and do their thing for a group. Especially when you're more known as the dancer/performer who had to work on their singing. Normani along with Ally, Dinah and Lauren are still Fifth Harmony. Camilla is no longer with the group. It's funny because two of those singers are better singers than Camilla is but that hasn't mattered.

People are expecting her to go Jazmine Sullivan, but that simply ain't her as her voice is nowhere near that tier (to be honest, not many are). It doesn't mean her album will be bad or she can't have success though. As she doesn't have the greatest voice she'll have to find success using arrangement, good production selection, songwriting and visuals/performances. Has she done it? I don't know, nobody does because they haven't heard the album yet. Which is funny because people are judging this album's music, but no one has actually heard it yet nor does anyone even knows the release date.

So far, her and her team have done somewhat good to keep her still out there and to get to this point where people are talking about the album though which is all you can ask for.

Last edited:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I mean, I think it's worked? She has some hype going into this album so that means something's been done something right to get this point for whatever reason. There's no telling if she goes all out fully-clothed that she'd have more fans than she currently does.

The four, non-Camilla members of Fifth Harmony have basically received no push and it even looks like Normani's personal team, the other three members and Normani herself are doing her album promotion themselves (which is why she made that mistake a few days ago posting as her Fanclub stan account).

It's tough for a non-lead singer to break out and do their thing for a group. Especially when you're more known as the dancer/performer who had to work on their singing. Normani along with Ally, Dinah and Lauren are still Fifth Harmony. Camilla is no longer with the group. It's funny because two of those singers are better singers than Camilla is but that hasn't mattered.

People are expecting her to go Jazmine Sullivan, but that simply ain't her as her voice is nowhere near that tier (to be honest, not many are). It doesn't mean her album will be bad or she can't have success though. As she doesn't have the greatest voice she'll have to find success using arrangement, good production selection, songwriting and visuals/performances. Has she done it? I don't know, nobody does because they haven't heard the album yet. Which is funny because people are judging this album's music, but no one has actually heard it yet nor does anyone even knows the release date.

So far, her and her team have done somewhat good to keep her still out there and to get to this point where people are talking about the album though which is all you can ask for.
She has no hype, this is the same as all her releases. A lot of peoooe clowning the try hard and her small segment of real fans excited.

No one is expecting her to be Jazmine Sullivan. There’s a ton of ways to be sexy and modern without being straight up trash, it’s ridiculous this needs to even be said.

Lastly, given her track records of flops, it’s not farfetched for people to have preconceived notions of how the album will do. Yes, she’s still trying, maybe she will be an anomaly and catch a wave after 8 years straight of trying, or she just might not be/have “it” as most artists don’t.

FluffyEyes

Mrs. Boss Lady
Daps
What’s she’s been doing before got her nowhere.
No her start and stop process has gotten her "nowhere". Like I said it makes no sense to have so much discussion about music that we haven't heard. It's asinine to complain about this cover that is nothing shocking whatsoever.

This place sounds like LSA more and more by the day.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
That album cover could have come out for various pop or r&b artists at any point in the last 35 years without causing the weird moralist panic you closet cases are throwing right now.
:mjlol:

If you want to argue her image in the videos and some of her lyrics don't fit her fine. But there's literally nothing wrong or outrageous about the album cover. If anything I'd just say it's too dark; so much pop shyt is super bright right now and that aesthetic would be more appealing for a "girl riding a rocket" trope IMO.

Her biggest problem is being unable (due to the label) to release consistent music and having bad songwriters. The overly sexual shyt is not the problem, in an era where the most successful (black) singers are overly sexual. Her music is just bad and she can't buy a hit.

Mike18jj

Veteran
Daps
I feel like she missed her window to make a big splash, the right time to do it would've been back in 2019 when she first went solo. Now it's five years later and the music landscape has changed once again hoping to deliver on a debut album from an artist the public has known for 10 plus years.

Roger king

Superstar
Daps
Its a shame no talent on the display, all superficial all about vanity and who has the big butts or fat asses, what happen to letting your records speak for itself? You should have to debase yourself to sell your music or song

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
They think this is what the people want. Show them different and they’ll change:yeshrug:

We want some pvssy, not the same sounding Rhythm and Bullshǐt songs that they all make.

If I want good singing I’ll put non some Regina Bell, Anita Baker, Phyllis Hyman and Chaka. Those chicks knew how to sing without giving blatant confirmation that their coochie was in fact breathing.