Nigerian Poll

• Total voters

Bonk

God’s Son
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
In Da 15th
Nigeria is not going to disintegrate unless there is another civil war. And there will be no civil war because neither side (Igbos, Northerners, Yorubas & Niger Deltans) are ready for that.

The country has a myriad of problems, which aren't beyond solving. Anytime Nigeria is pushed to the brink of conflict, it settles itself. 2019 will definitely be the ultimate test, but just like 2015 came and went without a major catastrophe, 2019 will do the same.

:sas2:

How come these myriad of problems have never been solved since independence and as the country grows in population, the problems keep having multiplier effect - thus making things much more complicated? From the outside looking in: nobody wants to solve these problems and all the major groups (including some medium level groups) are more interested in power tussle and ruling, than looking for ways to fix these problems.

I honestly don't know how the average Nigerian living in Nigeria doesn't have a problem with the country and aren't out there burning the whole country down and demanding answers. I remember the first time I went to Nigeria. I had very high hopes. However, just getting out of the airport and the smell alone shows there's a big problem in the country. Then going around and seeing a lot of poor faces, destitute, extreme poverty, lack of infrastructures, and most people with yellow eyes like the whole country suffers from yellow fever epidemic almost brought tears to my eyes. Like how can a country be so blessed, yet the people are dirt poor and mostly half-baked without proper education and almost nothing works? And subsequently, on the other two occasions I went there - I tend to end up in deep thought feeling sorry for the people, than enjoying myself, which is what everyone does when they're on holiday. How can you even enjoy yourself around so many poor and hungry black faces?

Yes, there are a few rich people who tend to live comfortably in the midst of the squalor. However, there's no wealth distribution - coupled with how different the people are. Why should you even be anywhere in Africa and be getting bombed by Muslim terrorists, apart from everything going on there? That shyt doesn't even make any sense whatsoever. Shouldn't that be left to Arabs?

Anyway, if Cuban diaspora could be as influential as they're and very instrumental in international policies against Cuba (even if you don't agree with them), it's time for Nigerian diaspora to start doing the same thing. The country is a shyt country (the name "Nigeria" sucks) and it has to go.

kayslay

African American Princess
Daps
You're looking at things from a Western perspective, things that work in the US can't be easily applied to Africa because things are just done differently due to history and social hero achy.

It's not that simple as getting over 200 ethnic groups with their own identities and religious practices to collaborate.
I'm not seeing how it's not hat simple.
Africans regardless of ethnic lineage have to come to a space where they are respectful of each other unique culture and can freely collaborate.
What have the Nigerians that are being educated in the west done to bring new strategies into the conversation of nation building?
Culture isn't going to protect Africans from internal conflict or subjugation from outside forces.
How do you know "western" perspectives will not work if they haven't been tried?
Nigeria is a west African country is it not?

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
I'm watching the constant back and forth in this thread having flashbacks of when I was a kid watching aunts and uncles drunk off that guinness arguing over west african politics:snoop:. Looks like shyt will most likely be the same story with our generation as well :mjcry:
YEp, reminding me of every thanksgiving or christmas dinner we'd have with the family. The arguments over Nigerian politics always get heated.

QuintessentialMan

Banned
Supporter
Daps
How come these myriad of problems have never been solved since independence and as the country grows in population, the problems keep having multiplier effect - thus making things much more complicated? From the outside looking in: nobody wants to solve these problems and all the major groups (including some medium level groups) are more interested in power tussle and ruling, than looking for ways to fix these problems.

I honestly don't know how the average Nigerian living in Nigeria doesn't have a problem with the country and aren't out there burning the whole country down and demanding answers. I remember the first time I went to Nigeria. I had very high hopes. However, just getting out of the airport and the smell alone shows there's a big problem in the country. Then going around and seeing a lot of poor faces, destitute, extreme poverty, lack of infrastructures, and most people with yellow eyes like the whole country suffers from yellow fever epidemic almost brought tears to my eyes. Like how can a country be so blessed, yet the people are dirt poor and mostly half-baked without proper education and almost nothing works? And subsequently, on the other two occasions I went there - I tend to end up in deep thought feeling sorry for the people, than enjoying myself, which is what everyone does when they're on holiday. How can you even enjoy yourself around so many poor and hungry black faces?

Yes, there are a few rich people who tend to live comfortably in the midst of the squalor. However, there's no wealth distribution - coupled with how different the people are. Why should you even be anywhere in Africa and be getting bombed by Muslim terrorists, apart from everything going on there? That shyt doesn't even make any sense whatsoever. Shouldn't that be left to Arabs?

Anyway, if Cuban diaspora could be as influential as they're and very instrumental in international policies against Cuba (even if you don't agree with them), it's time for Nigerian diaspora to start doing the same thing. The country is a shyt country (the name "Nigeria" sucks) and it has to go.

You answered your own question.
When you are poor and busy looking for money to feed yourself........... burning the whole country down and demanding answers is not really a thing you have the luxury of doing. Its not going to feed you or your family.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
How is their quality of life?
Do you think the yoruba Diaspora can get into government and turn Nigeria around?
Nigerian diaspora would need White Jew type money. Like owning NBC and what Not to truly help the people back home. Africans in America are doing well by African American standards but compared to other groups, it's underwhelming. Now you can say it is due to systematic white supremacy and it would be correct but it pretty much answers the question which is can the diaspora help their people in masse. The answer is hell naw

QuintessentialMan

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Nigeria is not breaking apart. Im sorry if that offends anyone. Its just not happening.
Now, can we PLEASE focus on things that might actually happen.

The Minister of Transportation, Mr. Chibuike Amaechi, has provided more insight into the multibillion dollar railway projects to be partly funded by the China Exim Bank, stating that the Lagos-Kano and Calabar-Lagos rail lines would include state-of-the-art train stations, digital signalling and communications systems and high-speed trains that would cut the number of hours spent by commuters travelling around the country by more than 50 per cent.

Speaking to THISDAY on the Lagos-Kano and Calabar-Lagos lines, which would respectively cost an estimated $6 billion and $11.1 billion to construct, the minister also allayed concerns that the cost of the projects were inflated.
He equally dismissed the comparison with Kenya’s new Madaraka express railway, which was equally funded by the Chinese at the cost of $3.2 billion.

“What we are negotiating with the China Exim Bank is to build railway projects that are much bigger and this includes the stations, signals, electricity and generators, dual locomotive engines as well as coaches.

“I have even heard criticism saying that the cost of the projects are inflated, however, the Kenyan project is only 472km long between Nairobi and the port city of Mombasa costing $3.2 billion.

“This comes to $7.5 million per km. Meanwhile, the Ibadan-Kano line is 1,500km long while the Calabar-Lagos railway line is 1,550km, but will cost us $5.2 million per km to construct,” he said.

Amaechi added that the construction of the Lagos-Ibadan leg of the railway line, which will be extended to Kano, had already started and was scheduled for completion by December 2018.

“As you know, the National Assembly approved the external borrowing component for the commencement of the Lagos-Ibadan standard gauge line. So the project has started and is scheduled for completion in December 2018, so that by January 2019, we can commence modern train services between Lagos and Ibadan,” Amaechi explained.

The minister said all the standard gauge projects would be accompanied by modern train stations that would have shopping arcades like international airports and train stations overseas.

In this regard, he said four such stations are to be constructed between Lagos and Ibadan, while smaller ones would be constructed on the route to Abuja and other cities.

“We are building four large modern stations that will have shops and facilities for commuters to buy their tickets through e-channels. Two will be in Lagos – one in Apapa and the other at Ebute Metta – then one in Abeokuta and another one in Ibadan. Then we will have smaller stations en route to Abuja and other cities,” Amaechi said.

The minister explained that the modern rail projects would come with dual locomotive engines so that they can run on electricity but switch to diesel in the event of power failure, noting that Nigeria’s share of the counterpart funding for the Lagos-Kano and Calabar-Lagos lines was 15 per cent, while the Chinese would fund the balance of 85 per cent.

On the number of jobs that would be handled by Nigerians during the construction of the projects, he said the federal government, in its negotiations, had insisted that 90 per cent of the jobs must go to Nigerians.

He also allayed concerns over single source contracting for the projects, saying the China Exim Bank had assured the federal government that there will be competitive tenders for the jobs, but they must go to Chinese firms that have bid for them.

When reminded that the foreign loans Nigeria was taking for the projects were certain to add to the country’s external debt burden and if the railway lines would be viable to repay the loans, the minister explained that rail projects the world over can hardly repay foreign loans.

“Railway projects that are funded through loans can hardly repay for the loans. But what the government is looking at is increased economic activities through major infrastructure projects that would enable it to generate more revenue to repay the loans.

“Lest you forget, the Lagos-Kano line will start from the Apapa ports; that is why a major station is being built in the port city and another one at Ebute Metta to replace the old Iddo Terminus. Now you can imagine what this can do for economic activities once the project is executed.

“We have made some progress in terms of negotiations and the Lagos-Ibadan line has started, so hopefully the National Assembly would approve the other aspects of the external borrowing plan so we can make progress with the Ibadan-Kano and Calabar-Lagos rail lines,” he said.

Amaechi further disclosed that the railway lines would ultimately be concessioned to private sector operators to ensure that they are properly managed over a long period.
On the Abuja-Kaduna railway line, which was inaugurated by the Muhammadu Buhari administration last year, the minister said new locomotives had arrived for the line, while new coaches were expected in October.

Also speaking on the Itakpe-Ajaokuta-Warri-Aladja line, Amaechi recalled that the railway project was initiated by the Ibrahim Babangida administration to move iron-ore between the two steel plants in Ajaokuta in Kogi State and Aladja in Delta State, but it was never completed.

“We have now awarded the contract to complete and upgrade the narrow gauge line to include commuter services, so we are building 12 stations and 92 flyovers and bypasses. This is costing N80 billion to N100 billion and is about 310km long,” he said.

He added that the rehabilitation of the old Port Harcourt-Maiduguri narrow gauge line was also in the pipeline, but would be handled by U.S. engineering conglomerate, General Electric (GE), under a concession agreement.

shadowking

All Star
Daps
Nigeria is not breaking apart. Im sorry if that offends anyone. Its just not happening.
Now, can we PLEASE focus on things that might actually happen.

The Minister of Transportation, Mr. Chibuike Amaechi, has provided more

People said the same about the Soviet Union until it happened.
People said the same about east/west Germany until it happened
People said the same about india until it happened.
People said the same about czechoslovakia until it happened.
People said the same about Sudan until it happened.

It will happen one way or the other...peacefully or violently. I would prefer an amicable split shaking hands and even sharing resources with them to build their funding up to an acceptable level for a few decades.
But i know us...they'll rather we destroy everything before it happens and i can assure you as always biafra will recover first. We simply have the know how, the manpower, education prowess and the will to go it alone. The only reason Nigeria prevailed before was British provision of weapons. It won't happen again.
Ameachi will loot the transport budget and I assure you not up to 10% of railways built during Jonathan's time will be added.
The debt will be huge and no revenues will come from them. You need to research the funding of railways and the payoff overtime.
The issue is simple:

The federal government will site them in only the north and south west rather than the south east and south south where the population density can allow for the movement of goods.
They'll also not improve the ports in the south east where more trades occur. They'll also not improve the electricity situation which carries the trains and helps the ports run for longer hours.

This leads to a maximum of 1 or 2 states in the entire country enjoying the bulk of the trade routes and taxes going to the federal government which will in turn go to northern states for infrastructure (which will be destroyed by Boko Haram or embezzled)

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
This is precisely why they're hypocrites. Southern Cameroon left with no issues. Bakassi left with no issues...
They know Igboland is where all the resources is. That's why they act like bytches. Most of Nigeria's elites will be broke if Igbos left Nigeria for Biafra

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God

It will happen one way or the other...peacefully or violently. I would prefer an amicable split shaking hands and even sharing resources with them to build their funding up to an acceptable level for a few decades.
But i know us...they'll rather we destroy everything before it happens and i can assure you as always biafra will recover first. We simply have the know how, the manpower, education prowess and the will to go it alone. The only reason Nigeria prevailed before was British provision of weapons. It won't happen again.
Ameachi will loot the transport budget and I assure you not up to 10% of railways built during Jonathan's time will be added.
The debt will be huge and no revenues will come from them. You need to research the funding of railways and the payoff overtime.
The issue is simple:

The federal government will site them in only the north and south west rather than the south east and south south where the population density can allow for the movement of goods.
They'll also not improve the ports in the south east where more trades occur. They'll also not improve the electricity situation which carries the trains and helps the ports run for longer hours.

This leads to a maximum of 1 or 2 states in the entire country enjoying the bulk of the trade routes and taxes going to the federal government which will in turn go to northern states for infrastructure (which will be destroyed by Boko Haram or embezzled)
Yorubas will run if Igbos leave Nigeria.

badtguy

Superstar
Daps
They know Igboland is where all the resources is. That's why they act like bytches. Most of Nigeria's elites will be broke if Igbos left Nigeria for Biafra

Lol cole, Briggs, Belo osagie, ibru, otedola, alakija, dangote, dantata, igbinedion, Arumemi-Ikhide all had money and wealth before nigeria was even a country.

stop with the lies lol

shadowking

All Star
Daps
They should focus on restructuring to save themselves if they want to. Keep a modified parliamentary system of sort. Imagine the following cost systems

36 states
36 governors and various staffs
36 house of assemblies
Senators ministers from each state by law
Each with pensions signed by the governors themselves.
Highest salaries worldwide.
No methods of removing them. Horrible recall records..horrible and closed budget systems and you expect growth lol

QuintessentialMan

Banned
Supporter
Daps

The issue is simple:

There is only 1 way. The only way is through a civil war. That option was tried before and failed. Try again and the result would 99% chance be the same. You need an army, you need international allies, you need funding. one side has access to all of that and more. The other side has none. No money, no currency. No army, no weapons. No allies. they're basically already pegged in by enemies to the north and the west. If Nigeria ever took the threat of cessation seriosly, it would be a terrible slaughter. Is this what you people want?