Nicki Minaj, Hot 97 & hypocrisy in Hip Hop

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
LMAO! Dude she's a mainstream artist anything she makes will be mainstream. She could make a song unlike anything ever heard, some people would call it genius others like you would call it wack.
:rudy:

Not true, I fukks with her verse on Monster. I dug "Moment 4 Life" for what it was. Shes got some nice verses here and there, and her delivery works when its not completely gratuitous

Do u think Nicki is some sort of avant-garde artiste breh? :smugdraper:

Peruvian Connect

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Starships is wack, AND nicki is not hiphop. What makes her so hiphop? Cause she raps SOMETIMES. Garth Brooks raps sometimes is he hiphop?

Lauryn Hill was the queen of hip hop for a minute mos of her most famous songs were straight R&B and not hip hop. "Starships" may be wack, but how does that stop Nicki from being hip hop?

I didn't comment on whether or not Nicki herself is hip-hop, but Starships is not hip-hop, besides being a wack song.

Well neither was Kanye's "808 and Heartbreaks" B.S. Or Biggie's "Playa Hater", Ma$e's "Jealous Guy" they may not have been wack but they were R&B songs.

The Real

Anti-Ignorance
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Well neither was Kanye's "808 and Heartbreaks" B.S. Or Biggie's "Playa Hater", Ma$e's "Jealous Guy" they may not have been wack but they were R&B songs.

I don't see where we are disagreeing here. What I'm contesting is the simplistic logic of the article, which is that if I don't accept Starships as both hip-hop and creative/innovative, I'm being a narrow-minded genre-policeman and holding hip-hop back.

To put it a different way- if a famous rapper came out with a song that sounded exactly like a Nirvana song (and let's also say the song was trash,) would I be close-minded for saying that the song was grunge rock and not hip-hop? Why should I have to accept anything at all as hip-hop? That's what I was addressing.

Hannibal Fox

Eetwidomayloh
Daps
Reppin
Death To Spookism
I always thought that Playa Hater and Jealous Guys were done for comedic purposes, I never took those songs serious.

Were they released as singles?

As for Hop Hop Elites, elites are supposed to have power.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Lauryn Hill was the queen of hip hop for a minute mos of her most famous songs were straight R&B and not hip hop. "Starships" may be wack, but how does that stop Nicki from being hip hop?
I dunno man, are you arguing just to argue?

Doo Wop, Everything is Everything, Ex-Factor SOUND like hip-hop records. The whole vibe of those records is SOULFUL. Lauryn was rhyming on most of them, and her whole steez was organic. Since she came up, we always knew she could sing her ass off as well as rhyme her ass off

Nicki is just doing the mainstream pop thing that Gaga, Bieber, Katy Perry n them are doing. Her whole style switched we she got on.

So....is she a hip-hop artist? She can if she wants to be. But I dont think she wants to stick her neck out like that. Shed rather make the fast buck. Fair enough, but as a result, she will get sh1tted on by people who care about traditional hip-hop sh1t. Her hip-hop pass is not "untouchable" if she keeps making rip-off David Guetta records

Those were niche songs, meant to be ironic. Like "oh wow look at Mase trying to harmonize, isnt that cute" :skip::skip::skip:

Kanye also did a one-off electro-pop album, he went straight back into hip-hop and rhyming right after it

SubLyminalz

Kemba Escobar Season Has Returned.
Supporter
Daps

:snoop: your seriously comparing lauryn hill to nicki minaj?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

Lauren hill is not the queen of hiphop, she is a talented mc but her album was not billed as a HipHop album. She Won Grammys in the r&b category, not rap. And even her singing songs are more hiphop than starships, due to the themes and subject matter of the music.
Kanye had numerous rap albums before 808s and he himself said it wasn't a hiphop album. Biggie and mase had one so called "r&b" song on their all hiphop albums. There are no comparisons nicki's career has been closer to britany spears than Lauren hill.

SubLyminalz

Kemba Escobar Season Has Returned.
Supporter
Daps
Lauren hill is not the queen of hiphop, she is a talented mc but her album was not billed as a HipHop album. She Won Grammys in the r&b category, not rap. And even her singing songs are more hiphop than starships, due to the themes and subject matter of the music.
Kanye had numerous rap albums before 808s and he himself said it wasn't a hiphop album. Biggie and mase had one so called "r&b" song on their all hiphop albums. There are no comparisons nicki's career has been closer to britany spears than Lauren hill.

mary j was considered the queen of hip hop for these same exact reasons though.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
mary j was considered the queen of hip hop for these same exact reasons though.
She was considered that because she was the first female r&b artist to really embrace hiphop. Her albums were full of hiphop sounding beats and themes and she was featured on plenty of hiphop songs. But nobody really thinks Mary j is a hiphop artist

wolfpoppa

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
北京
Comparing those older artists to Nicki is futile. This is 2012. Hip Hop is not what it used to be- not that nicki minaj IS hip hop...

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
She was considered that because she was the first female r&b artist to really embrace hiphop. Her albums were full of hiphop sounding beats and themes and she was featured on plenty of hiphop songs. But nobody really thinks Mary j is a hiphop artist

Lisa Lisa was just as much hip hop as Mary J coming up in the city and being pushed by Full Force.

Being hip hop isn't solely about embracing the music.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Lisa Lisa was just as much hip hop as Mary J coming up in the city and being pushed by Full Force.

Being hip hop isn't solely about embracing the music.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has no idea who Lisa Lisa is. Maybe Mary was the most popular to do it. And I didn't say that I agreed with the notion that she is hiphop. I simply stated why she was considerd that way