Nicki Minaj, Hot 97 & hypocrisy in Hip Hop

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
im sorry, call me a c00n, but rosenburg is a hip hop dj, hes allowed to feel the way he feels. he commented on the genre he loves and participates in, he should have his say, white or not. he thinks starships isnt hip hop, he should be black to have a say? come on man.

latino isnt even a race regardless, if i come from pure spanish lineage from puerto rico, because i speak spanish that means im somehow validated because im "latino"?

this narrows the issue to ignorant standards in my opinion.

Okay fair enough he's earned a couple of stripes as a DJ.. He might be able to step into the room and observe the discussion..But by no means should he have a seat at the big table..Especially over someone like Baby and Slim who have over 15 year invested, millions of sales, trends and influence..If hip hop had a hall of fame Wayne, Nicki and CMR are closer to getting an indiction that Rosenberg ever will be..Hell so is Angie and Flex, which is probably why even though they disagree he still is able to get her in a room and have a conversation..

Rosenberg said "A few years ago I pulled Nicki to the side, grabbed her arm and told her she could be the best female emcee of all time. So I hold her to a higher standard"

:dry: :hmm:

1st of all.. The fact that he ever felt Nicki could be the GOAT female rapper lets me know his opinion is suspect..

2nd-Who the hell is he that is opinions and standards should be something that she should be concerned with?

Typical white male arrogance and a sense of over importance in his place in the hierachy of the culture..Who the fukk does he think he is? KRS or Rakim?

Just because you guys might agree with him doesnt make it right.. Like I said I'm not worried about the message.. It's the messager I have a problem with.. If Nicki is really wack and a detriment for hip hop let a 22 year old female emcee from Brooklyn tell her..Because thats an organic move from the culture..

We used to police our own...If you know what I mean...

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
Okay fair enough he's earned a couple of stripes as a DJ.. He might be able to step into the room and observe the discussion..But by no means should he have a seat at the big table..Especially over someone like Baby and Slim who have over 15 year invested, millions of sales, trends and influence..If hip hop had a hall of fame Wayne, Nicki and CMR are closer to getting an indiction that Rosenberg ever will be..Hell so is Angie and Flex, which is probably why even though they disagree he still is able to get her in a room and have a conversation..

Rosenberg said "A few years ago I pulled Nicki to the side, grabbed her arm and told her she could be the best female emcee of all time. So I hold her to a higher standard"

1st of all.. The fact that he ever felt Nicki could be the GOAT female rapper lets me know his opinion is suspect..

2nd-Who the hell is he that is opinions and standards should be something that she should be concerned with?

Typical white male arrogance and a sense of over importance in his place in the hierachy of the culture..Who the fukk does he think he is? KRS or Rakim?

Just because you guys might agree with him doesnt make it right.. Like I said I'm not worried about the message.. It's the messager I have a problem with.. If Nicki is really wack and a detriment for hip hop let a 22 year old female emcee from Brooklyn tell her..Because thats an organic move from the culture..

[ame="http://youtu.be/xKX4LktBI5o?t=4m24s"]Mike Fisher at 4:24 mark[/ame]

NYC Rebel

Daps

Its amazing. Outsiders are so busy telling us how our standards aren't good enough when they're the ones who "embraced" the music in droves the second it went gangsta rap, conforming to their beliefs of black identity and ultimately forced the music to become a boiler plate artform.

Please....

wolfpoppa

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
北京
Starships as obviously a pop song....

But lets talk about whats been allowed to happen to urban music...

I have an issue with the messenger more than the message...

Peter Rosenberg is no more hip hop than Nicki...Infact he should ALWAYS be viewed as an outsider from people that truely care about the culture..

Hip hop was formed on 3 major concepts or principles that people keep trying to ignore..

1-It's an art form created for and by the youth..

2-It's an art form created for and by innercity/urban/street kids..

3-It's an art form created for an by Blacks and Latinos (minorities)

By those standards of the purity and origin of "real hip hop" Rosenberg is 0 for 3..He's a 36 year old, white guy, from the suburbs (an outsider)...He can be the worlds biggest fan but he's still and outsider.. All of the Wu-Tang bumper stickers and crates of vinyl will never change that..

He can have an opinion.. But when you're such an outsider, it's arrogant to pretend that you have a role as a lieutenant or a shot caller in the culture..He carries himself like a boss, when in reality he's just a super fan.. His opinion shouldnt be considered as highly as some 19 year old black kid from Camden..

He's 0 for 3... His whole existence is the antithesis of what the culture was intended to be...

There should be a hiearchy to things...Im not saying you have to be all three to be involved in the culture (young, minority, from the hood) but people that are none of the above should pretty much be ignored imo..

I don't wanna hear old men dictating what the culture should be (and I'm older myself) because it's always evolving and just because it was a certain way when you were younger doesnt mean that its etched in stone..

It bothers me when people from the suburbs in middle America criticized young ghetto kids in Bankhead for Laffy Taffy or snap music..When that was THEIR expression of a culture that was theirs by birthright and circumstance..

And it goes without sayin that I feel how most white folks (there are exceptions) should keep their mouths closed about Black culture...

U gotta earn stripes.. And even when you do, you should keep your mouth closed when grown folks (insiders) are talking...

I don't know if not being a POC should exclude you from the conversation, as you somewhat pointed out, but then you negated that when you said that they should keep their mouths closed when insiders are talking. I believe respect can be earned... just most non POCs definitely don't get "it".

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
He's a 36 year old, white guy, from the suburbs (an outsider)...He can be the worlds biggest fan but he's still and outsider.. All of the Wu-Tang bumper stickers and crates of vinyl will never change that..

He can have an opinion.. But when you're such an outsider, it's arrogant to pretend that you have a role as a lieutenant or a shot caller in the culture..He carries himself like a boss, when in reality he's just a super fan.. His opinion shouldnt be considered as highly as some 19 year old black kid from Camden..
:what:

You honestly cant truly believe that bullsh1t

You get what you put into it. What has the 19 year old done?

:clap:

*is born a visual minority*

"Congradulations, you are officially hip-hop elite!"

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
I don't know if not being a POC should exclude you from the conversation, as you somewhat pointed out, but then you negated that when you said that they should keep their mouths closed when insiders are talking. I believe respect can be earned... just most non POCs definitely don't get "it".

What?

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
:what:

You honestly cant truly believe that bullsh1t

You get what you put into it. You get what you put into it. What has the 19 year old done? He has thrown a party? Promoted anyone? Supported any acts with some $$?

:clap:

*is born*

"Congradulations, you are officially hip-hop elite!"

You're confusing "industry" with "culture"..

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
You're confusing "industry" with "culture"..

Ok, what has some random 19 year old from Camden done for the CULTURE except consume a bunch of INDUSTRY media?

Seriously, what has that little trailblazer done for the culture, that vulture Jew outsider Rosenberg has not?

NYC Rebel

Daps
Ok, what has some 19 year old done for the CULTURE except consume a bunch of INDUSTRY media

What has that little trailblazer done for the culture, that vulture Jew outsider Rosenberg has not?

Who said that besides you?

You corrupted the discussion by suggesting that that is what he called it.

When I was 13 years old waking up everyday to cats break dancing and a year later those same cats got into some next shyt, I called it every day life that I had no choice but to see everytime I opened up the door. But for you to think that because Rosenberg, who opts to cherry pick which parts of the culture he chooses to embrace, suddenly he's defines it because embraced those OPTIONS moreso than a kid who lives, breaths and is a byproduct of the culture thats organic?

Man please.

Rosenberg is a trailblazer of giving people an option to embrace elements of the culture. But he isn't one whose lived it to tell one he can define it.

These dudes are carpetbaggers of hip hop when they start defining what it is and isn't. Rosenberg isn't of it.

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
Ok, what has some random 19 year old from Camden done for the CULTURE except consume a bunch of INDUSTRY media?

Seriously, what has that little trailblazer done for the culture, that vulture Jew outsider Rosenberg has not?

He IS the culture..

People like Rosenberg are just voyeurs...

And race is a part of it but not ALL of it.. There are white people that are actively involved...This square isn't one of them.. He's a corporate shill that is a part of the problem he whines about...

Smarten up..

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
Man please.

Rosenberg is a trailblazer of giving people an option to embrace elements of the culture. But he isn't one whose lived it to tell one he can define it.

These dudes are carpetbaggers of hip hop when they start defining what it is and isn't. Rosenberg isn't of it.

Perfect description :clap:

He's a guy from the suburbs of Maryland that recently claimed that ASAP Rocky (a kid from Harlem) wasn't "New York enough"...

He's a clown...

Lewis Black

Superstar
Daps
Rosenberg? aint he jew? hip hop a black culture, he need to sit his ass down somewhere. Tryna diss black women now lol bytch ass

NYC Rebel

Daps
Perfect description :clap:

He's a guy from the suburbs of Maryland that recently claimed that ASAP Rocky (a kid from Harlem) wasn't "New York enough"...

He's a clown...

That shyt is sickening.

I'll never forget dude telling me and my boy from the Ville that our shyt wasn't "urban" enough because it didn't fit the cherry picked spectrum of "urban' that hes embraced for several years.

Man please. Culture isn't something you DECIDE to jump into.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Who said that besides you?

You corrupted the discussion by suggesting that that is what he called it.

When I was 13 years old waking up everyday to cats break dancing and a year later those same cats got into some next shyt, I called it every day life that I had no choice but to see everytime I opened up the door. But for you to think that because Rosenberg, who opts to cherry pick which parts of the culture he chooses to embrace, suddenly he's defines it because embraced those OPTIONS moreso than a kid who lives, breaths and is a byproduct of the culture thats organic?

Man please.

Thats fine and all

I just see him as a dude with an opinion. You can think what you want and Im not a huge fan of his but he seems to know his sh1t. If he wants to dis Minaj, who cares. She aint Lauryn Hill breh, shell throw this CULTURE shes supposedly ENTITLED to under-the-bus in a heartbeat to make a buck. And she will cling to her SOUTHSIDE "roots" cause she knows theres idiots dumb enough to buy into that ideology as well

NYC Rebel

Daps
Thats fine and all

I just see him as a dude with an opinion. You can think what you want and Im not a huge fan of his but he seems to know his sh1t. If he wants to dis Minaj, who cares. She aint Lauryn Hill breh,

AND? Since when has Lauryn given you a hip hop album to digest?

she'll throw this CULTURE shes supposedly ENTITLED

That's your feelings on it. But she came up no differently than me and many others who our everyday existance is what others who don't live it call hip hop. She can determine whatever direction she wants to go. You let me know when she herself said shes defining hip hop like that carpetbagger.