It's the principal of it, I get a rush when I bust
some dope lines oral, that maybe somebody'll quote
That's what I consider real, in this field of music

Dzali OG

Dz Ali OG...Pay me like you owe me!
Daps
Reppin
Duval Florida
Selling an album and selling out are two different things!

Yall either so young or dumb that you don't know what selling out is anymore.

When you make a song that goes against what you stand for....you have sold out! When you go against what your audience stands for you have sold out.

I guess we need to define hip hop? Or redefine it?

What many miss is that when hip hop was actually progressing, a lot of the elders of the music along with the community defined what hip hop was. Just like when a company or gang is formed, in the beginning the rules are loose, but eventually with growth rules and expectations are laid down to keep the organization integrity.

Hip hop was defined in the 90's when we still had a lil structure and direction. Yeah before that it was just about anything goes except biting.

We let our business collapse and we basically have Somalia style government going on. Every lil warlord running around calling their own shot. It's the reason you have Somalia...and then you have America! Our government is the reason america is so great. We are organized.

Hip hop fell apart because we let the youth effectively destroy the structure. That was done with some of the same arguments some of you using: stop hating, I can like what I want, fukk elitists, fukk old dusty nikkas, etc.

The reason cac's kick our ass is because they structure their shyt! While we go somalian and want helter skelter.

franknitty711

All Star
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
I personally do not know why people think Starships is the biggest sellout in history. She is only dipping into a market that Flo-Rida has shown can really take you to another level (techno). These labels are capitalists right?

This is a situation where an artists ego and radio station politics clashed...end of story.

The Real

Anti-Ignorance
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I completely disagree with you here. I actually think that Starships is a good song for what kind of song it's supposed to be. I went to YouTube and listened to it the other day because of the hype, and the posting that I listened to the song on had like 13 million hits and almost all of the comments were positive with people quoting the lyrics and all. Those are the people that she was catering to. As for the song itself, it's catchy and although it's certainly not for me, I can understand why the pop audience likes it. I think that people need to get over themselves when it comes to taste and personal preference. Obviously the song wasn't made to cater to "us"(the hiphop fans of sites like this), so why judge like it was?

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. I'm not judging it like it was meant to cater to hip-hop fans, but the article claims that I should, and that if I don't accept it as hip-hop, I'm being narrow-minded and holding the genre back. That's what I was responding to. I understand why the people who like Katy Perry and Lady Gaga like it, but that doesn't mean I have to embrace it as hip-hop.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
So nobody saw that the article says nicki was one of the most gifted mc's at summer jam, and wale and j.cole are wack.
:rudy: how could y'all endorse this shyt

Gravity

Banned
Daps
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. I'm not judging it like it was meant to cater to hip-hop fans, but the article claims that I should, and that if I don't accept it as hip-hop, I'm being narrow-minded and holding the genre back. That's what I was responding to. I understand why the people who like Katy Perry and Lady Gaga like it, but that doesn't mean I have to embrace it as hip-hop.
It is HipHop, it just pop HipHop.

up in here

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I personally do not know why people think Starships is the biggest sellout in history. She is only dipping into a market that Flo-Rida has shown can really take you to another level (techno). These labels are capitalists right?

This is a situation where an artists ego and radio station politics clashed...end of story.

Breh, Flo-Rida is a sell-out. If you following his lead you too are a sell-out.

You dont have to switch up to sell-out, you can come in the game as a sell-out. If you aint got any integrity to begin with and money is your only motivation you are a sell-out.

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
Can you really call Flo-rida a sell out? y'all wasnt gonna buy his records