"New Orleans Wasn't Messing with Jay Z, Cuz Tupac Said So"- Juvy

Daps
These conversations are always amusing and should be taken with a grain of salt. Can you discredit the recollections of southern fans? Nope...there is validity in the words

At the same time there has to be balance. In the 90s NYC was the bootleg capital. Who knows how much money Nas, Jigga, Biggie, Pac, Wu etc lost in the street

Yet Big was multi platinum
Jay became multi platinum (3rd album)
Wu went multiplatinum (2nd album)
Nas went multi platinum (2nd album)

By the way this wasn’t after the fact. These plaques were coming within year of release. So who was supporting these albums? Only the Tristate?

Guess there is no way to really know :russ:

TheIsleofMan

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:russ: Dudes kill me on this site. First it’s, “they didn’t play our music” “they always thought they were better than us” Then it’s, “we never listened to their music until 1999(dude said until dipset and g unit:dead:)

Then it’s, We respect “realness”, we couldn’t relate to y’all but also Snoop Dogg and 2pac :noah:. embrace west coast acts, dudes who were some of the fakest in the game, gang banging and all that, but I guess y’all relate:leon:

And grown men not listening to good music because another grown man told y’all:dead: and being proud of it:deadmanny:.

When y’all type this stuff, do y’all not see how stupid y’all look? :heh:

And please stop with this “the south” shyt. Y’all speaking for entire regions with y’all fake unity:hhh:. I’d love for guys to mention their city when talking this “the south” stuff.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
These conversations are always amusing and should be taken with a grain of salt. Can you discredit the recollections of southern fans? Nope...there is validity in the words

At the same time there has to be balance. In the 90s NYC was the bootleg capital. Who knows how much money Nas, Jigga, Biggie, Pac, Wu etc lost in the street

By the way this wasn’t after the fact. These plaques were coming within year of release. So who was supporting these albums? Only the Tristate?

Illmatic took 7 years to go plat. Are you admitting it meant very little in real time?

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps

Where are brehs listening to Wu, Nas albums at in the South, in the club?? at school? or let me guess, on Youtube. We can't fit 2019 into 1990s, it was probably 3-7 places you would listen to rap music at

Parking Lot
Clubs
School parties
Cookouts/Family Reunions
On the block/dice games
With your girl

So a breh and his girl listening to Wu tang going to the movies or riding on the slab

:russ:

You were considered a weirdo listening to these dudes from the East Coast not named Biggie or Mase, LL, or Puff..

Juvenile, and UGK made it cool for brehs down south to listen to Jay

If you aint live in that time, then you wouldn't understand

Luck

The one true gym gawd...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago

New York and east coast in general has large percentage of people / black people :whatdafukk:

Even if New York artists got minimal numbers elsewhere, if they got love from their region alone then it’s easy to get them numbers..

I’m pretty sure there’s more nikkas in New York City alone than there is on the entire west coast but don’t qoute me on that :hubie:

ReturnOfJudah

Veteran
Daps
It has nothing to do with Pac /Jay Z. The south fukked with the west cuz of their beats. The east was that backpack / lyrics over beats shyt. Down here its all about the trunk. We do go alot of folks that loved east coast rappers but we played those cds at home or on the way to work lol. shyt got no play when you mobbing 4 deep or out on the town, the radio, or clubs.

Daps
Where are brehs listening to Wu, Nas albums at in the South, in the club?? at school? or let me guess, on Youtube. We can't fit 2019 into 1990s, it was probably 3-7 places you would listen to rap music at

Parking Lot
Clubs
School parties
Cookouts/Family Reunions
On the block/dice games
With your girl

So a breh and his girl listening to Wu tang

:russ:

You were considered a weirdo listening to these dudes from the East Coast not named Biggie or Mase, LL, or Puff..

If you aint live in that time, then you wouldn't understand

I lived in that time. The problem with these arguments is you always have a concentration of people who swear east coast music wasn’t popping where they were at but there was no way all these guys were going gold plat & multi off the boroughs alone.

You tell me Lost Boyz wasn’t poppin in Texas? I can see that
I tell you UGK wasn’t poppin in NYC? That sounds reasonable

What supports it? There output was barely scratching gold at its peak

But to tell me guys who were triple quadruple platinum within a calendar year wasn’t poppin in a third of the country...it just sounds far fetched. I can understand if artists more regional based got more love but it seems people go overboard a bit by saying a Jigga who put out the most hits he ever had in 98 had no juice in their city

Last edited:
Daps
New York and east coast in general has large percentage of people / black people :whatdafukk:

Even if New York artists got minimal numbers elsewhere, if they got love from their region alone then it’s easy to get them numbers..

I’m pretty sure there’s more nikkas in New York City alone than there is on the entire west coast but don’t qoute me on that :hubie:

Once again that sounds smooth but when you have a nikka from Senegal or an Arab on every corner with a blanket laid down with your album going 2 for 5 it cuts into those sales. Let’s say in the 90s before gentrification there were close to 2 million black people (big if) ina city of 8 million. Did they all feel obligated to buy every NYC rap release? :pachaha:You & I know that isn’t realistic. These guys had reach man

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
I lived in that time. The problem with these arguments is you always have a concentration of people who swear east coast music wasn’t popping where they were at but there was no way all these guys were going gold plat & multi off the boroughs alone.

But to tell me guys who were triple quadruple platinum within a calendar year wasn’t poppin in a third of the country...it just sounds far fetched. I can understand if artists more regional based got more love but it seems people go overboard a bit

The artists you named were going platinum on Major Labels with multiple videos and heavy promo, that's not a good thing back in the 90s to be doing those numbers and you got a big machine behind you...so again, who really is buying their albums if they are only doing those numbers??

The southern artist were manly independent and you rarely had singles from them, Juvie told you that CMR didn't even put out singles. I put the video of Soulja Rags video and that video was shot with a family reunion ass camera and that album pushed units with only 1 so call video...So who is buying his album with that little to no promo??

Compare NYC artists being signed to a major label getting 2 to 3 videos for an album vs a Southern artist who is on an independent label and more than likely not even getting a video for their album..

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps

But to tell me guys who were triple quadruple platinum within a calendar year wasn’t poppin in a third of the country...it just sounds far fetched. I can understand if artists more regional based got more love but it seems people go overboard a bit

What album did those numbers within a calendar year and I'll give you the take on that album and how it received in the South?

You had Southern artists going Gold being on independent labels Lol and you comparing a platinum album from a NYC artist?? stop breh

Daps
What album did those numbers within a calendar year and I'll give you the take on that album and how it received in the South?

Let’s stick to Jay since he was the topic. If my memory serves me correct Vol 2 came out Fall of 98. By fall of 99 that album was 3-4 times platinum

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't think it was just a Jay-Z thing.

If you grew up in the South/Midwest, nyggas didn't fukk with east coast music at all, with the exception of a few artist. The beats were perceived as boring, and it just wasn't the type of shyt nyggas were trying to hear. I didn't hear Jay-Z get any play until Vol.2.

I didn't even like east coast music until I heard Reasonable Doubt. It was the first eastcoast album I heard where I didn't think the beats were boring (at that point in time). I went on later to prefer an east coast style sound.

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
Let’s stick to Jay since he was the topic. If my memory serves me correct Vol 2 came out Fall of 98. By fall of 99 that album was 3-4 times platinum

Lol

Wasn't Can I get A..on that album and Rush Hour the movie came out at the same time?? one of the biggest movies that year

That song was everywhere because of the movie..and Ja, kinda was the one that shined on that song

You don't think that the movie had a hand with his sales for that album?

Luck

The one true gym gawd...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Once again that sounds smooth but when you have a nikka from Senegal or an Arab on every corner with a blanket laid down with your album going 2 for 5 it cuts into those sales. Let’s say in the 90s before gentrification there were close to 2 million black people (big if) ina city of 8 million. Did they all feel obligated to buy every NYC rap release? :pachaha:You & I know that isn’t realistic. These guys had reach man

Nah you reaching and not using common sense, nikkas in your region and the north in general had more money to spend for that type of shyt. You talkin like someone who doesn’t have roots in the south...

No use in using common sense with you New york cats, y’all too sensitive and emotional when people are telling you clowns what it was in the areas they grew up and have family in but y’all kno better than us :hubie:

Trill Bellamy

Whateva Man
Daps
Reppin
Long Beach
If you're not from the South or Midwest, you'll never understand. During that time period in my upbringing, I "recognized" the talented rappers and great songs/albums dropped from East Coast cats......but I "felt" the songs from my region more. Jay is dope, but I guarantee anyone from the South or Midwest would rather hear this at a party....

Than this...

One song is from a random roster member on No Limit, while one is from NYC premiere MC, Babyface sample, high budget visuals, etc. It doesn't mean Youngbleed is a better MC or that Jay is trash, but we just "felt" Youngbleed song more. It's kinda hard to explain if you didn't live it.

Give me...

Over....

I guess it's no different than the jazz and blues era. While NYC was dancing around and flipping broads in big dresses to the sounds of Count Basie, cats in the south were sipping their moonshine in a tavern to some Miles Davis and his more soulful approach. Regardless of talent levels, some shyt just stick to your ribs a little different. No diss to Jay. But I know more people with Coming Out Hard cd than Reasonable Doubt. :yeshrug:

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, I havent heard "Hoes" since I was stationed in Biloxi, shyt used have the club goin'

But this shyt?!?!!?

:blessed::blessed::blessed: