"New Orleans Wasn't Messing with Jay Z, Cuz Tupac Said So"- Juvy

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
Lol me and everybody I knew I had tv and “the box” and BET played them east coast artist artist. I was 8 when money ain’t a thang drop and I remember that video and jay verse like the back of my hand.

My older brothers played “where I’m from” daily on the way to school in our tape player and later our CD players

Of course cash money was majorly what we listen to, along with no limit around the time but they wasn’t the only thing at all.

shyt Mac had me and my brothers listening to Nas in 97-98 when he said he was his favorite rapper

Juvie is right tho, he definitely help jay for sure, but to act like he was unknown is stupid tho

Hard knock life, can I get a, money cash hoes was all getting play along with all dmx shyt

Fam, you stated you was 8. no diss but at 8, no 8 year olds from the south outside of you wanted to listen to Jay or any East Coast rapper. Thats why I made that analog going back in real time.

You walk in one school dance, and a Jay song nor a East Coast song would not be played or requested. Super Sundays, block parties,Jay was not being played, nor any East Coast music, let alone a song by Jay or East Coast that wasn't a single.

Middle and High school bands are big where we from, was even huge back in the 90s, what song did any band play by Jay?? you can use a college band.

Even at teen summit, Jay wasnt played Lol .

If dudes were fukking with Jay like that here as you say, Jay would have been hopped on something early on, instead of waiting to hop on something already hot..
Jay would have been have features heavy down here in real time and southern nikkas would have had him on their album if he was a big draw down here

Last edited:

letti cook

Superstar
Daps
some of yall taking it like we saying Jay and east coast nikkas wasnt known

it wasnt that

its just, down here we had our own shyt that took precedent over anything else, and we rocked with west more than east

jay was all over the radio

but when you stepped outside, it was nolimit,cash money, pac, ugk, swishahouse/ (being from TX) banging out of cars

i was a kid back then but it was the same amongst us

there was always that one nikka that would be cysing some east coast shyt

my best homie back then was heavy on Mase and Nas in particular

but for the most part, we were bumping southern/ local shyt

we could rap 400 degreez album by heart

you ask us bout some nas shyt, we could give you the singles...but thats where its stopped

no different than how im sure it was up top

Illmatic is the bible and Ghetto D prolly some bama shyt to yall..and thats whatever

only nikkas that got love off top down here was X and 50

Jay had to grow on nikkas :manny:

and I say that as someone that has him second only to :pachaha:

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
Disagree, Chicago fukked with everything since we're in the middle of the map.

X, Jay, Dips, Ja Rule, State Property, D-Block, Fab, Bad Boy, etc all was making noise during that time out here.
youre mixing time periods up.

Were talking about when Jay started to pop...
...at that time...dude you quoted is right...most of Chicago (im talking regular hood folks, not hip hop heads) were mostly fukin w/ the West and South.

Dips, D-Block, Fab, etc... came later.

Bad Boy is different because Puff always had a radio single and catered to the casual listener.
The summer of 96 EVERY car had either No Way Out playing or Adrenaline Rush.

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
I’m from Detroit. Nas Jay Biggie Wu even the fukking Lost Boys (no shade) was huge. nikka we had cable lol. Rap city barely played any artist but east coast and mtv only played the most popular rap. Did y’all nikkas not have cable or watch tv from 95-99?

This thread further proved to me how the south ruined hiphop. I’ll be damn if I let anyone tell me what to listen to. My mom couldn’t stop me from listening to 2 live crew lol

The south must never respected hiphop.

Did y’all nikkas not get the source and xxl down there?

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
North Carolina and VA might be the only cities that fukk(ed ) with east coast shyt like that.

And even NC it depends on what part of the state bc nikkas in Charlotte a d the 336 have a completely different vibe from the triangle.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
I’m from Detroit. Nas Jay Biggie Wu even the fukking Lost Boys (no shade) was huge. nikka we had cable lol. Rap city barely played any artist but east coast and mtv only played the most popular rap. Did y’all nikkas not have cable or watch tv from 95-99?

This thread further proved to me how the south ruined hiphop. I’ll be damn if I let anyone tell me what to listen to. My mom couldn’t stop me from listening to 2 live crew lol

The south must never respected hiphop.

Did y’all nikkas not get the source and xxl down there?

born and raised in cali.. 80s baby.. 94-96 here on MTV was all Coolio, Pac and bone Thugs and harmony type acts... and then 96-99 was No Limit, Cash Money, DMX, Busta Rhymes (he seems to never get credit on here :jbhmm: ) and Mase/Diddy and for a brief period of time Aaliyah, Timbaland, Missy Elliot and Ginuwine dominated pretty much at least 50% of the air waves :wow:

then again we also had a station called CMC (California Music Channel) and in the 90s it was more used for watching videos here than MTV :ld:

they used to play the fugees a lot but other than that you'd see only Snoop Dogg and mostly other west coast artists

we really aint give a fukk about NY music growing up outside of Biggie. Wu Tang got 0 play out here I DONT GIVE A fukk what any revisionist history people try to post here, WU TANG GOT 0 PLAY IN CALI outside of CREAM and the song with ODB and Mariah Carey

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
born and raised in cali.. 80s baby.. 94-96 here on MTV was all Coolio, Pac and bone Thugs and harmony type acts... and then 96-99 was No Limit, Cash Money, DMX, Busta Rhymes (he seems to never get credit on here :jbhmm: ) and Mase/Diddy and for a brief period of time Aaliyah, Timbaland, Missy Elliot and Ginuwine dominated pretty much at least 50% of the air waves :wow:

then again we also had a station called CMC (California Music Channel) and in the 90s it was more used for watching videos here than MTV :ld:

they used to play the fugees a lot but other than that you'd see only Snoop Dogg and mostly other west coast artists

we really aint give a fukk about NY music growing up outside of Biggie. Wu Tang got 0 play out here I DONT GIVE A fukk what any revisionist history people try to post here, WU TANG GOT 0 PLAY IN CALI outside of CREAM and the song with ODB and Mariah Carey
So y’all aint watch rap city or read magazines in Cali?

Not talking to u

But that’s like saying Pac wasn’t known until Me Against the World. Being his 1st 2 albums wasn’t big albums. Tbh 2pac 1st 2 albums sales were on par with Jay’s 1st 2. And never hear that about Pac at all.

I don’t play the cac game much but unless u was young as hell. I just don’t see how anyone u knew didn’t listen to some if not all those artists if u were into rap. It was almost impossible not to imo

Sbp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
If you're not from the South or Midwest, you'll never understand. During that time period in my upbringing, I "recognized" the talented rappers and great songs/albums dropped from East Coast cats......but I "felt" the songs from my region more. Jay is dope, but I guarantee anyone from the South or Midwest would rather hear this at a party....

Than this...

One song is from a random roster member on No Limit, while one is from NYC premiere MC, Babyface sample, high budget visuals, etc. It doesn't mean Youngbleed is a better MC or that Jay is trash, but we just "felt" Youngbleed song more. It's kinda hard to explain if you didn't live it.

Give me...

Over....

I guess it's no different than the jazz and blues era. While NYC was dancing around and flipping broads in big dresses to the sounds of Count Basie, cats in the south were sipping their moonshine in a tavern to some Miles Davis and his more soulful approach. Regardless of talent levels, some shyt just stick to your ribs a little different. No diss to Jay. But I know more people with Coming Out Hard cd than Reasonable Doubt. :yeshrug:

Change Miles Davis to Robert Johnson and Son House and you'd be correct. Those were the delta blues kings of that time. Miles was a Jazz musician who blew up in the 50s.

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
Fam, you stated you was 8. no diss but at 8, no 8 year olds from the south outside of you wanted to listen to Jay or any East Coast rapper. Thats why I made that analog going back in real time.

You walk in one school dance, and a Jay song nor a East Coast song would not be played or requested. Super Sundays, block parties,Jay was not being played, nor any East Coast music, let alone a song by Jay or East Coast that wasn't a single.

Middle and High school bands are big where we from, was even huge back in the 90s, what song did any band play by Jay?? you can use a college band.

Even at teen summit, Jay wasnt played Lol .

If dudes were fukking with Jay like that here as you say, Jay would have been hopped on something early on, instead of waiting to hop on something already hot..
Jay would have been have features heavy down here in real time and southern nikkas would have had him on their album if he was a big draw down here
Fam I was listening to what my big brothers, cousins and homies in the hood was listening to(13th, magnolia, 3rd ward in general) was listening to. Which included hot Boyz, big timer, no limit, I didn’t hear much of ugk and other southern artist around that time.

Just cause people not playing jay at local events that for the local culture don’t mean people didn’t bump him in they own time lol

My nikka I had over 30 tapes at 8 years over, stuff past down or brought from the store that I wanted myself

We had radios, tv that was constantly playing hip hop on Bet and mtv, and the box where you paid for a request.

Maybe y’all didn’t have them outlets in your area but we did.

My cousin younger than me was reciting jay around 98 cause that was being bumped in the hood heavy.

I’m not sure why you making seem like we only listened to music at second lines, dj and parties :dead: that’s never been the only way music was consumed, maybe for dudes who wasn’t really into music that’s how it was, but to people who was forced feed music you ventured outside of what’s on the radio.

But yea I agree on the fact mostly local shyt was getting run

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
So y’all aint watch rap city or read magazines in Cali?

Not talking to u

But that’s like saying Pac wasn’t known until Me Against the World. Being his 1st 2 albums wasn’t big albums. Tbh 2pac 1st 2 albums sales were on par with Jay’s 1st 2. And never hear that about Pac at all.

I don’t play the cac game much but unless u was young as hell. I just don’t see how anyone u knew didn’t listen to some if not all those artists if u were into rap. It was almost impossible not to imo
fam...youre probably talking about people who were into hip hop...like actually cared about it.

Were talking about the average casual hood listener.
The same people that will listen to a Drake CD now.

Cats were not riding around bumping Reasonable Doubt/Illmatic in Detroit/Chicago.
for example, Nas didnt really pop outside of hip hop circles till If I Ruled the World.

You would hear shyt like the song below before you heard damn near any of the east coast cats.
Add Suave House, 8ball & MJG, 3 6, etc...

Last edited:

Techniec

Drugs and Kalashnikovs
Daps
Reppin
W/S 416
Tupac the GOAT just off influence alone lol when Pac dissed you nikkas automatically stopped fukkin with u its krazy.
and when u add the fact that he dropped Me Against The World, All Eyez on Me and Makaveli in the space of less than 2 years its a wrap

Bruh, Pac dropped Thug Life Sept 24, 1994. Man was dead in less than 24 months after, but he gave us Thug Life, MATW, AEOM, Makaveli and random classics (official ones, like Made nikkaz, Never had a friend like me, Staring at the world through my rearview, etc).

I don't even count his posthumous shyt at all, that stuffs just bonus but it doesn't count, Pac catalogue stops at Makaveli for me

Four classics in 2 years, that's raps MJ 6-0, cant say shyt about it, you have to respect it and accept it

:manny:

Kimo_bud

Banned
Daps
Reppin
LWO
PAC talked about heartfelt subjects while jay just rap about money. There is no comparison. The only reason people think jay is even in the same league as pac is because of east coast nerds who spread this crap like gospel just cuz they losers and feel they must defend the honour and they ain’t got nothing else going on :mjlol: