"New Orleans Wasn't Messing with Jay Z, Cuz Tupac Said So"- Juvy

Luck

The one true gym gawd...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Relevant to the the topic but Midwest had more of a connection with southern / west coast artists ( outside of local rappers ) in the 90s and 2000s

No limit, cash money, ugk, 8 ball / mjg, 3-6, Scarface got more play out here in Chicago than any east coast artists by far.

Don’t even remember local cats even making songs with with anybody other than down south artists tbh.

DontEemTry

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was debating brehs on here that stated that Jay and the East coast cats were being played heavy down here, and I kept asking them what songs were ppl down here fukking with from these cats? What song did Jay have out that would be played in the clubs in the south?? Nas snuck in with Hate me Now and If I ruled the world, but that was as farthest he went down here getting played.
The women from the East Coast got more play down here than the dudes from the East Coast, Foxy and Kim got more play, especially Foxy when she did the song with No Limit, Mia X, her stock went up a bit

Aint nobody riding around the city with a Jay CD in their car, or anybody from the East Coast with the exception of Biggie, Mase, and DMX. Everybody else from that coast was not played down here.

How does this make sense. Yall didn't fukk with Jay coz Pac said not to but y'all fukked with Big because? :mindblown:

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
People tend to forget that Jay slipped under the radar initially. RD is a classic but it got lost in the sauce with all the heat dropping in 96 from more established artists. He didn’t have his first big single till his third album. But being from Baltimore we fukked with everything. Even tho we did lean a little toward NY in the 90s but that changed after Cash Money

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
How does this make sense. Yall didn't fukk with Jay coz Pac said not to but y'all fukked with Big because? :mindblown:

95-96, really 96, Pac was making his run, and he was everywhere, pretty much running the game and with that, most of everybody from down south rode with him, UGK was a house hold name, they were riders, 8ball and MJG were riders, most of the down south acts were riding for Pac or messed with the West Coast artists, thus the fanbase down here who manly listened to these southern artists rode with who they rode with which was Southern artists or West Coast. We couldn't relate to East Coast artist, aint had to time to figure out what you trying to say in witty ways, nah breh, get str8 to the point, I got this glock, aim'd and cocked is what we understand, or I'm trying to make a dollar outta 15 cents, is our language, str8 and to the point. We wasn't trying to hear all that jibber jabba from East Coast cats, and plus East Coast beats were wack and didn't move the crowd in the clubs or parties we went to, you couldn't even bump East Coast music in your cars at the time, dudes down here ride with 6 12's and 6x9 and twitters, we need bass coming down the street, wasn't no East Coast cats making music for the cutlasses, regals, and lacs, that's one of the reason why they, the East Coast cats aint get no play in the South too, shyt aint hit in the ride when heading out, or didn't knock in the club at the parties, hoes wasn't dancing to that shyt

DMX broke down here, his content was rough and str8 to the point in most of his songs. For the females it was the same way.

As for as Biggie, Big was on before Pac and him went to war, He had already established clout down here, Jay-z before RD, nobody never heard of dude down here, I think the first time folks heard about this Jay-z cat was when Pac said something about him, and then you start seeing his RD single with Mary on rap city or the box, and then brehs were like, oh that's the dude Pac was talking about or something, dude is a duck...fuk him...Biggie was lucky to have already had hits before Pac came at him, and when Pac came at him, ppl started to back off Biggie and bad boy, I should have been more clear, Biggie snuck in because his hits came before the 2pac beef, One more chance, Juicy, Get Money, etc...

If you listen to only Southern artists and they collab with West Coast cats and you see a West Coast artist blow up and take over and literally destroy a whole coast, then it only makes sense for you to ride on his side and not fukk with the other side.

Pac put a real dent in the music game at the time, things were a lot different from how they are now. There was no internet, so what you saw was what you saw which was pretty much on camera and back then 2pac didn't hold back and expressed himself and the south loved that passion and the fact that Southern artist put that in their music and lyric content only made the connection more solid with us and 2pac.

That's why Soulja Slim is geared our next 2pac, he just didn't give a shyt with what he would say about anything and it came off as a fukk you if you gotta problem with it vibe, plus he backed it up, and again that connects with the fan base down south because most brehs down south, especially in New Orleans really bout that life when it comes to it.

Last edited:

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field

Hov didn't get played like that in the south til Money Aint A Thang. And that was in clubs and the radio. He blew right the fukk up after that.

Biggie only really got burn here because folks wanted to see who Pac hated so much.

Juicy got minor play, but Juicy was every fukking where. If it was making noise everywhere else, chance it was getting played here. I knew some cats that were bumping OB4CL, even though they didn't understand a word of it.

The south was it's own world. Everything trickled down. Only weirdoes like me was listening to EVERYTHING.

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
This is Lil Keke,

What East Coast rapper, singer, song could come on in the club after this song and rock the party in 97, 98,

Name your biggest East Coast rapper and drop a song that have song that can come behind some shyt like this that would get hoes and brehs on the dance floor? Lol..

This song had hoes on the floor, and this some shyt from Texas that played everywhere in the South, I bet majority of folks on here that's not from the South haven't even heard this song