"New Orleans Wasn't Messing with Jay Z, Cuz Tupac Said So"- Juvy

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
When I lived down south in the 90's (Duval) I can confirm pretty nobody fukked with east coast shyt. Only person I knew down there who did was a girl who liked Jay-Z.

They never said anything about Tupac. They fukked with pac, but they always said they didn't fukk with the east cause the east didn't fukk with them. Which was weird to me cause in NYC we fukked with everything. I was already put on to cash money, no limit, Scarface, them Tootsie roll nikkas, 3-6, Luke, etc before I ever stepped foot down south.

Educated a lot of people, debunked myths, and put people on to a lot of east coast shyt before I left. But that was right before the south blew all the way up lol.

Insecurity..

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
These conversations are always amusing and should be taken with a grain of salt. Can you discredit the recollections of southern fans? Nope...there is validity in the words

At the same time there has to be balance. In the 90s NYC was the bootleg capital. Who knows how much money Nas, Jigga, Biggie, Pac, Wu etc lost in the street

Yet Big was multi platinum
Jay became multi platinum (3rd album)
Wu went multiplatinum (2nd album)
Nas went multi platinum (2nd album)

By the way this wasn’t after the fact. These plaques were coming within year of release. So who was supporting these albums? Only the Tristate?

Guess there is no way to really know :russ:

Exactly. Was gonna say something similar but you get it. Just because SOME of the south wasn't fuking with Jay or Big or couldn't relate doesn't mean they weren't moving units down there; especially Big. Like only NYC was buying their records which is foolish thinking

Trot LaRoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi/LA
Duval did fuc with Jay a lil bit tho once Vol 2 n 3 come out. My fam is from there and my cousins n they friendswould play Jigga....he got club play with Put Ya Hands Up n Can I Get A

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
I’ll leave it at this...

It makes complete sense for southern nikkax to say a lot of east coast music wasn’t heard in their city because NYC for the most part refused to even acknowledge their existence as well

That ain’t rocket science kids. The problem is when certain artists regardless of their region sell millions of records on an album that’s a direct indication it’s now become a national thing

If P is 5 million sold and Make Em Say is the big song chances are they played it in NYC
If Juvy is 4 million sold and Back Dat Azz Up is the biggest song chances are they played it in NYC

Bout It Bout It, Down 4 My nikkaz etc...these songs got played. Were they played more than a Superthug, Still Not A Player Or Horse & Carriage or whatever was the hot east coast record at the time by mid tier guys? No...but they were still were played

Some of you guys...I think just have underlying issues or something which is cool too lol

It's their bias & regional insecurity/inferiority complexes coming out guise as "facts" lol. Plain & simple

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
Lol I was just talking to my old head about this interview. And he was a big part of cash money startup and still linked with bird til this day

This is the basis of New Orleans music late 80s to early 90s. Obviously they bumped local shyt more but they loved east coast music also

Remixes to this song played at every part in New Orleans in the 90s

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
oh and i almost forgot @Homeboy Runny-Ray NO WAY can Juve (as nice as he is) ever see this nikka Tupac lyrically.... are you serious right now?
but we'll just agree to disagree on that one

pac is arguably the goat but he wasn't much of a lyricist.

he snapped every once in a while, but he usually had baby-bars.

prime juvi could hop in any cypher anywhere and spit some chit. he never got credit for it tho.

i mean a lot of what you say is facts runny-ray. soulsonic force planet rock & planet patrol play at your own risk birthed miami bass booty music and the showboys drag rap birthed new orleans bounce music, we are their ancestors in that regard. we weren't always jazzy filtered bass lines and sp 1200 chopped drums with echoing horns. we used to use 808's, cowbells and embrace minimalist bounce like early mantronix fresh is the word for instance

what else shows how you're correct here is a nikka like Master P doing Thug Girl which of course was a remake of RUN DMC Dumb Girl. that was straight 808's. i'm sure they also rocked out to Cool J Going Back to Cali which was bass heavy too. same goes for Beastie Boys Brass Monkey. i think the alienation began about 1988 with the jungle brothers straight out the jungle which then birthed 1989 3 ft high and rising and 1990 people's instinctive travels. those albums were pretty much the foundation for 90's boom bap. no WAY southern nikkas were bumping them joints with the rare exceptions like currensy, jay electronica, phonte, ceelo, andre and them

but I cosign this post right here.

as for the bolded, I don't remember that. youre prolly thinking of when he sampled "rock the bells".
same album as "thug girl" too.

matter fact, they sampled a few other LL joints and a lot of '80s east coast rap in general.

Last edited:

NOSaintsFan02

Superstar
Daps
:mjlol: Jay did a solo show here for every album since vol.3 that sold out. Which was 99, fukk you think he was performing at? Y’all got to get out your lil bubble of thinking people only bump local artist

Jay just sold out the dome for 4:44 with Vic Mensa opening up lol
Jay Z 4:44 tour was at the arena, not the Dome.

Funny, when he's without Beyonce he goes to the Arena, but with Beyonce is when he gets the Dome.

Come on bruh, I rock with Jay Z but you stanning him harder in here than I stan Em in other threads. All I'm pointing out to you is dude was not selling out the Superdome solo.

And if you wanna go even more technical, his 4:44 show didn't even sell out the arena. :russ: I was there. Tickets was going for $15 the day of. I know that because I bought them cheap cheap. :lolbron:

Jay-Z Brags of 'Record Attendance' In New Orleans as Entire Sections Remain Empty

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
juvenile spoke on this before.

hes mostly talking about jay-z before volume two.

he spoke on it in more depth before, about how he used to be a fan of east coast hip-hop in general, rockin east coast gear, etc. he said he was an early jay fan since reasonable doubt, and said birdman used to ask him why he listens to that stuff.

No at the time Jay Z wasn't getting much play and still dont

"Big Pimping" was the joint that nikkas was like

And that was based off Pimp Cs verse and the fire ass beat

Yes a Jay Z show would have a full audience

But it would be mostly white people

this is false.

theres plenty of footage of jay touring southern cities and rockin arenas full of black people, before big pimpin even existed.

jay-z shows didn't get whiter until years later.

Last edited:

John Reena

Superstar
Daps
Down south ppl werent really listenin to most East Coast

The main influence for Cash Money was NWA and Pac....

I remember BG saying he liked and respected Nas but he couldnt "feel"him.

There was just a synergy between West and the South....both regions are more about feel/emotion/directness rather than academic wordplay

I dont think Juvy was dissing Jay

Word!

BG liked Illmatic, he just wasn’t feeling the beats.

That’s the disconnect btw the south n East.

The beats

John Reena

Superstar
Daps
Nah..how many times can a man use Hennessey enemies in the penitentiary:comeon:

Jay Z shyts on Pac..Jay Z made his name being a top Emcee, Pac made his name getting shot, controversy and antics. People were more interested in what dumb act Pac would pull next rather than what song he'll put out next.

U drunk.

Jay-Z didn’t ascend in the rap game until 2 PAC was gone.

Stans and they narratives is disgusting

old boy

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
brooklyn
as for the bolded, I don't remember that. youre prolly thinking of when he sampled "rock the bells".
same album as "thug girl" too.

matter fact, they sampled a few other LL joints and a lot of '80s east coast rap in general.

yeah thug girl is track #8 off disc one on the last don joint. he starts out asking snoop if he remembers that shyt called dumb girl. even starts the opening verse with an interpolation of run's first four bars from dumb girl

matter fact silkk uses some of run's bars too in his verse....

i remember that you're a huge master p fan, go back & check it then pop in raising hell album after

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
yeah thug girl is track #8 off disc one on the last don joint. he starts out asking snoop if he remembers that shyt called dumb girl. even starts the opening verse with an interpolation of run's first four bars from dumb girl

matter fact silkk uses some of run's bars too in his verse....

i remember that you're a huge master p fan, go back & check it then pop in raising hell album after

my bad. I wasn't referring to that. I forgot to bold what I was talking about.

i wasnt disputing the dumb girl sample.
i was disputing "going back to cali". i don't remember no limit touching that record. I was saying that you may have been thinking of "rock the bells", which they sampled for "thinking about you".

but that's my fault. I forgot to bold the song I was referring to.

sidenote: a good portion of big tymers' "big ballin" was baby & fresh reciting the lyrics to run dmc's "dumb girl".