"New Orleans Wasn't Messing with Jay Z, Cuz Tupac Said So"- Juvy

old boy

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
brooklyn
my bad. I wasn't referring to that. I forgot to bold what I was talking about.

i wasnt disputing the dumb girl sample.
i was disputing "going back to cali". i don't remember no limit touching that record. I was saying that you may have been thinking of "rock the bells", which they sampled for "thinking about you".

but that's my fault. I forgot to bold the song I was referring to.

sidenote: a good portion of big tymers' "big ballin" was baby & fresh reciting the lyrics to run dmc's "dumb girl".

oh ok makes sense..

but nah i wasn't inferring that master p or any other southern rapper ever actually sampled going back to cali. i was just pointing out that sonically it had the heavy 808 sound that was rockin in places like miami & atlanta in the 80s. same goes for brass monkey and other new york records like that

cleanface coney

Superstar
Daps
Imo dipset/cassidy/50 era had a bigger impact to my generation than the big/jay/nas/mobb deep era. I mean i went back... but in terms of popularity outside of the eastcoast during they runs thats how i feel

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
juvenile spoke on this before.

hes mostly talking about jay-z before volume two.

he spoke on it in more depth before, about how he used to be a fan of east coast hip-hop in general, rockin east coast gear, etc. he said he was an early jay fan since reasonable doubt, and said birdman used to ask him why he listens to that stuff.

this is false.

theres plenty of footage of jay touring southern cities and rockin arenas full of black people, before big pimpin even existed.

jay-z shows didn't get whiter until years later.
Post all of them or stfu

I'm Blackman

Prep time > Everything
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside of Gotham (Montgomery, AL)

Wordplay's good for a chuckle, but at the end of the day, it's just a bunch of folly.

The south is the home of the old Negro Spiritual.They prefer timeless/relevant music

that invokes pain & emotion.Just these 3 tracks shyt on Jay's whole catalog in that regard.

"Superior" is subjective.Mere opinion

Pretty much. Pac >>>>>>>>Jay any day. Pac's music is still relevant today because his subject matter is timeless.

Jay is in my top 10, but growing up here (Montgomery, AL) I was one of the few people I knew in Jr High listening to Vol 1. I remember seeing the video for the City is Mine and liking it and my momma took me to circuit city to get it. When Hard Knock dropped and Money aint a thing he became "radio popular" here.

But nobody (besides me and a small group of people ) was listening to that shyt. We listened to popping west coast shyt (deathrow, e40, cube), popping down south shyt (ugk, eightball and G, No limit, Cash Money, Scarface, etc.) and local Montgomery artist (Dirt Boyz, Small Tyme, etc.). Riding around the city, going to clubs, and parties...nikkas was not listening to "nikka What, nikka Who". That shyt was not getting played at parties. The main reason is because of the production. If it didnt sound good in some 15s or wasnt heartful or wasnt to the point or didnt make girls dance (women danced in the club back then) that shyt wasnt popping. We like to feel our shyt. Yes, D' Evils by Jay is a much more lyrical song and a great record. But it dont hit you in the chest like If I Could Change by Master P and Steady Mobbin which is far less lyrical.

And Pac's influence was huuuuuge. One year at my school, people liked Big. When Pac said fukk him, everybody was like fukk him. We were children sure, but the point still stands. It took me years to listen to and fall in love with Mobb Deep just because Pac said fuc em. It's still fukk Chino XL lol.

blankstairz

Superstar
Daps
Thanks to this thread i heard Young Bleed for the first time at age 37 and shyt is piff:blessed:

I was a big CMR fan in the late 90s and didnt fuc with No Limit outside of Mystikal, a couple 504 boyz tunes and Down 4 My Nikkas plus i didnt really fw Beats by the Pound sound.

But this My Bxlls and My Word shyt is nice:obama:

As a Midwest cat who grew up on mostly East Coast shyt in the 90s, i mostly listen to down South shyt(CMR, 8Ball n MJG, Kast, Trick, UGK) if im listenin to old school. I still roc with Wu, Jay, Big, Kool G, Lost Boyz etc tho

South shyt just has more feeling and more of a tie to blac music(blues, funk n gospel). I love East Coast sampling but lot of the sounds come from European sources

If you liked Young Bleed's debut album,check out his 2nd album, My Own. :whew:

It is some chill sh*t over good beats.

Amor fati

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Great Britain
HKL
Money Cash Hoes
Money Ain’t A Thang
Can I Get A

To a lesser degree
nikka What nikka Who

Those were the songs that put Jay at the forefront. I’m very much aware NO had plenty going on at the time. None of those songs were in a DJs set club night? lol

The singles you mentioned got hella play here in the UK via MTV, other music channels, clubs and radio, I'm also aware that these singles charted in other parts of Europe and Oceania(Australia and New Zealand) If these songs got play in these countries it's totally hard to believe nobody in the South didn't hear these singles domestically were promotion would be much easier and quicker than overseas.

darryl

Superstar
Daps
Hip hop has always been regional. It's just that simple. For example, I'm from L.A I can listen to the whole "bow down" album and not skip a track. I wouldn't even touch ob4cl cuz I know it wouldn't appeal to my west coast style. Now on east coast, I'm sure it's the entire opposite in reverse

bigmanharris

Coli Gangsta
Daps
Reppin
GA
that's the best way I've heard it explained. its still like that in the South. nikkas generally just don't fukk with the traditional "East Coast" sound. Like on some Pimp C shyt...."they don't fucc with us, we don't fucc with them." There are some exceptions (50, DMX)...and nikkas will throw a token NY rapper in their top rapper lists.

But a lot of nikkas in the South still don't fukk with people Pac dissed :ufdup:

Facts.....Jay the tho. Bawn and raised in da souf.

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
pac is arguably the goat but he wasn't much of a lyricist.

he snapped every once in a while, but he usually had baby-bars.

prime juvi could hop in any cypher anywhere and spit some chit. he never got credit for it tho.

but I cosign this post right here.

as for the bolded, I don't remember that. youre prolly thinking of when he sampled "rock the bells".
same album as "thug girl" too.

matter fact, they sampled a few other LL joints and a lot of '80s east coast rap in general.

You a t like Pac can't hop in a cypher and spit shyt to.

I agree Juve can spit and hold his own in a cypher. But so can Pac

Daps
Reppin
NULL

You a t like Pac can't hop in a cypher and spit shyt to.

I agree Juve can spit and hold his own in a cypher. But so can Pac

Pac could definitely hop in cypher.

Niccaz don't know the energy it takes to

spit from the pit of your stomach while at

the same time keep your thoughts coherent.

Fiery/hyper energetic niccaz don't normally top out

at freestyling.The vocal output is draining enough.

Let alone trying to generate the energy to stay articulate

at the same time.There's a reason your pops told you

"Say it with your chest!"...It connects

Trill Bellamy

Whateva Man
Daps
Reppin
Long Beach
Thanks to this thread i heard Young Bleed for the first time at age 37 and shyt is piff:blessed:

I was a big CMR fan in the late 90s and didnt fuc with No Limit outside of Mystikal, a couple 504 boyz tunes and Down 4 My Nikkas plus i didnt really fw Beats by the Pound sound.

No disrespect, but how have you never heard Young Bleed "How Ya Do Dat" til this thread? I know you said you aint fukk with No Limit too much, but that song got hella airplay.