"New Orleans Wasn't Messing with Jay Z, Cuz Tupac Said So"- Juvy

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Once again that sounds smooth but when you have a nikka from Senegal or an Arab on every corner with a blanket laid down with your album going 2 for 5 it cuts into those sales. Let’s say in the 90s before gentrification there were close to 2 million black people (big if) ina city of 8 million. Did they all feel obligated to buy every NYC rap release? :pachaha:You & I know that isn’t realistic. These guys had reach man
Not only that but we used to dub copies back then. It was common for one nikka in the neighborhood to have the cd or tape and pass it around to everybody else so they could make copies. White folks were really making these artists platinum

strbuysrv

Banned
Daps
When I lived down south in the 90's (Duval) I can confirm pretty nobody fukked with east coast shyt. Only person I knew down there who did was a girl who liked Jay-Z.

They never said anything about Tupac. They fukked with pac, but they always said they didn't fukk with the east cause the east didn't fukk with them. Which was weird to me cause in NYC we fukked with everything. I was already put on to cash money, no limit, Scarface, them Tootsie roll nikkas, 3-6, Luke, etc before I ever stepped foot down south.

Educated a lot of people, debunked myths, and put people on to a lot of east coast shyt before I left. But that was right before the south blew all the way up lol.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
From what I gather from this thread. Detroit had by far the best taste in music during the 90’s. We listened to everything. No bias.
I clearly remember being a pre teen and hearing

X clan
Lost boys
Scarface
2 live crew
Nas
Jay
Wu
Mobb deep
Coolio
Bone
Snoop
Dre
Az
Etc...

Whole fukking coasts just listening to 2 artist per city is crazy lol

And no u did not need to be a hiphop head to listen to a damn mobb deep or Illmatic lol
It was the same way here in Baltimore. I will admit that nikkas considered cats from the deep south to be slow tho

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sad, they could have learned more from Jay than Pac about emceeing and appreciation for superior wordplay. Shame really

Wordplay's good for a chuckle, but at the end of the day, it's just a bunch of folly.

The south is the home of the old Negro Spiritual.They prefer timeless/relevant music

that invokes pain & emotion.Just these 3 tracks shyt on Jay's whole catalog in that regard.

"Superior" is subjective.Mere opinion

xCivicx

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl
I was debating brehs on here that stated that Jay and the East coast cats were being played heavy down here, and I kept asking them what songs were ppl down here fukking with from these cats? What song did Jay have out that would be played in the clubs in the south?? Nas snuck in with Hate me Now and If I ruled the world, but that was as farthest he went down here getting played.
The women from the East Coast got more play down here than the dudes from the East Coast, Foxy and Kim got more play, especially Foxy when she did the song with No Limit, Mia X, her stock went up a bit

Aint nobody riding around the city with a Jay CD in their car, or anybody from the East Coast with the exception of Biggie, Mase, and DMX. Everybody else from that coast was not played down here.
There was a thread on here like a year or 2 ago where I was arguing the same thing

It was some poster on here from the south or west coast claiming that the south was bumping Jay z from reasonable doubt onward and I told him he was a dam lie

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
The main thing back then was the radio station Q93 would play like 70% regional rap and other Southern rap, and the rest would be mostly the Popular R&B

shyt if u didn't have cable to see Yo MTV rape or Bet u didn't really even hear east coast shyt much to even know about it

I was bumping Wu, mobb deep, Nas, etc.

But nikkas would be like:gucci: when I tried to play it with them

nikkas listened to wayyyy more West Coast and Mid West shyt

When Bone came out:wow:

nikka Q93 played thuggish ruggish bone to death:picard:

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
Not only that but we used to dub copies back then. It was common for one nikka in the neighborhood to have the cd or tape and pass it around to everybody else so they could make copies. White folks were really making these artists platinum

and oh lord when we learned to burn shyt to CD as Data and we could put 500 songs on one disc :wow:

cleanface coney

Superstar
Daps
:yeshrug:just based off MY childhood I can believe it....im 28 outside of the main shyt biggie,wu,jayz just wasnt being played like that ....my pops/uncles/big cousins banged No Limit, Cash Money, Tupac, west coast nikkas like b legit, e40, etc

i remember biggie wutang jayz but mostly they main shyt, not sayin nikkas didnt listen but it was just different imo i didnt go back to them nikkas until my dog jeff in highschool put me on. nikka lowkey put me on all types of rap i never heard lol

i dont remember nikkas pickin sides in the east coast/west coast beef ....but in terms of MUSIC down south/west coast just banged more(still to this day) and talked about shyt nikkas was seeing everyday. lol like when no limit tapes dropped shyt was like an event soulja slim, mac, fiend, remember the shyt vividly as a lil nikka...jay droppin was never an event, biggie droppin never had MY house going crazy atleast

and just being on the coli, it seem like the east coast/nyc look at music differently

detroit prolly in the middle and based on whatever your preference is

shyt i honestly believe juvie based off the fact we listened to cash money so much lol jay z was never a factor for me growing up

Renzo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Tupac made music with heavy wordplay that didn’t get to the point to your southern standards, wasn’t a club banger artist, and had beats in his music that would be viewed as wack according to your long rant.

So according to your post I guess it was PASSION that set Tupac apart from the rest. Lol.

It’s so easy to spot ducktails on the coli.

Idk why dudes on here are making up stories when they can just keep it simple and say “The South was fukking with the west coast”

Writing up a paragraph of contradicting nonsense is weird.
What did he say that was off? That's exactly how it was. All facts.

ZEupTWN

Mid|Range|Game|
Daps
I’m :deadmanny:reading through this thread......nikkas to biased to give a clear answer, shyt is all over the place:russ:

Trot LaRoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi/LA
Thanks to this thread i heard Young Bleed for the first time at age 37 and shyt is piff:blessed:

I was a big CMR fan in the late 90s and didnt fuc with No Limit outside of Mystikal, a couple 504 boyz tunes and Down 4 My Nikkas plus i didnt really fw Beats by the Pound sound.

But this My Bxlls and My Word shyt is nice:obama:

As a Midwest cat who grew up on mostly East Coast shyt in the 90s, i mostly listen to down South shyt(CMR, 8Ball n MJG, Kast, Trick, UGK) if im listenin to old school. I still roc with Wu, Jay, Big, Kool G, Lost Boyz etc tho

South shyt just has more feeling and more of a tie to blac music(blues, funk n gospel). I love East Coast sampling but lot of the sounds come from European sources

Trot LaRoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi/LA
Well that’s BS because the southeastern states did not have synergy with the west coast

:gucci:

Another case of the term “the south” being stupid.

What goes on in New Orleans and Texas doesn’t speak for what goes on in Virginia, Carolinas, Georgia etc.

I shoulda been specific and said Deep South:hubie:

VA, NC, SC are basically New York colonies...lot of NY ppl moved there in the 70s, 80s n 90s.