NBA crisis over declining TV ratings and why China is so important: "stagnant since 1998"

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Football is the ultimate casual sport. Run fast and slam yourself into another player like a battering ram and people cheer.

There’s not much to pay attention to, and it’s on once a week. It’s not really a fair comparison.

I agree the NFL has done a little more to make the viewing experience better, which is what the NBA needs to do.

Also the NFL has something other team sports don't have.....its the perfect sport to gamble on and play fantasy sports on because it is once a week.

I would argue almost half of the people who watch the NFL only watch it to gamble and play fantasy sports.

Skip2

All Star
Daps
TV ratings have fallen across the board for everything. Most people have cut the cord completely and those who still have it only have it for live sports. People consume media differently these days, streaming (legal and illegal) is a huge part of the game and often goes unaccounted for. Not to mention now a days if you miss a game you can slide onto YouTube and catch the highlights the next day. Look how many views some of these NBA game highlights be getting on YT, Zions preseason debut got like 2.2m views. To use TV ratings as the end all be all of a sports popularity is stupid because TV simply isn’t the dominant form of media consumption it once was. The NBA absolutely dominates social media analytics and that shyt, to 99pct of modern day companies, is far more important than any amount of ratings.
The thing is those YouTube viewers aren't watching the actual games. That's a problem.

Edub

Veteran
Daps
A lot of us non-NBA stans been saying this. Only die-hard NBA fans watch regular season games consistently. Most people aren't interested until the playoffs. NBA just dominates social media, specifically Twitter, which is why it seems like it's more popular than the NFL.
Young people love basketball tho.....if you go into high schools both male and female love the league....and honestly, that’s what matters. Locking in the future....that’s why the social media push is the way it is....not so much out of concern for today, but tomorrow.

Tom Foolery

You're using way too many napkins.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boardwalk and Park Place
TV ratings have fallen across the board for everything. Most people have cut the cord completely and those who still have it only have it for live sports. People consume media differently these days, streaming (legal and illegal) is a huge part of the game and often goes unaccounted for. Not to mention now a days if you miss a game you can slide onto YouTube and catch the highlights the next day. Look how many views some of these NBA game highlights be getting on YT, Zions preseason debut got like 2.2m views. To use TV ratings as the end all be all of a sports popularity is stupid because TV simply isn’t the dominant form of media consumption it once was. The NBA absolutely dominates social media analytics and that shyt, to 99pct of modern day companies, is far more important than any amount of ratings.
The money is in TV. That's the problem.

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
I love the Nba but Nba media and twitter would have you believe the Nba is as popular as the Nfl

On a national level it barely gets more ratings then baseball

it’s talked about so much by the media because espn/Disney overpaid for its rights
Disney is mad about that thus them cutting a lot of jobs at ESPN.

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
Young people love basketball tho.....if you go into high schools both male and female love the league....and honestly, that’s what matters. Locking in the future....that’s why the social media push is the way it is....not so much out of concern for today, but tomorrow.
You wanna lock them in BUT also you want to monetize your fanbase. It's early in the streaming game but eventually the NBA has to figure out how to get them to actually pay to watch games. Old people still pay for shyt, young people know how to get shyt for free or very cheap.

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
It's weird that the focus is always on ratings and never the advertising dollars espn and fox and nbc get from companies who run commercials during those games...

So is the advertising dollars down?
Advertising rates are tied to viewership. Advertisers pay because you have viewers they can sell their crap to. Thee end.

Copy Ninja

Superstar
Daps
People want to see competition.

Every NFL game players are competing like crazy. If they don't, they're gonna get killed or have one of their teammates killed.

That's why the NCAA tournament get crazy ratings because viewers get to see athletes compete like crazy.

Watching regular season NBA games is like watching a scrimmage. They're just out there going through the motions until 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

If the NBA can bottle up the last 5 minutes in the 4th quarter of a game and have players compete like that for the entirety of the game then it would rise in popularity.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Advertising rates are tied to viewership. Advertisers pay because you have viewers they can sell their crap to. Thee end.

So if viewership is down...where is the story about advertising rates being down and the networks making less money? Cause I haven't seen that story yet...