NBA crisis over declining TV ratings and why China is so important: "stagnant since 1998"

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
India doesn’t like sports, that’s a dead end market
Me and Malta use to say it all the time. NBA should focus on Africa. Help build up some of the infrastructure, hold more than just camps and have a full blown academy, and actually invest in NBA Africa. My man who works there says it s a lot that they could do because the interest is there but the league doesn’t do half of what it should. I know peeps who would come to my crib to watch games on the weekend at like 2 in the morning because they were big fans. I think SABC doesn’t have a deal to broadcast games anymore either. ESPN stop broadcasting there like a few months before I moved there. Funny thing is you could always catch a Cowboys game party. This cat in the defense ministry always threw them shyts

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Baseball fans care a great deal about their teams regular season and division. Baseball does very well regionally because of that.

Baseball's problem is there's too many games to maintain a consistent national audience during the regular season. But I suspect they're happy with the tradeoff as it hasn't hurt their national audiences when the postseason starts.

And yeah it wouldn't hurt the NBA to have more division games. You don't even have to take away the marquee national games to do so.

The question of would it draw the average person who doesn't watch NBA games is the wrong question and isn't your target audience.

Your target audience are the people who wait until the playoffs start before watching. Because that's when things are at stake.

You have to create stakes for the regular season (as best you can, no league is the NFL) more division games would help do that.

Bottom line, there's a more meaningful NBA regular season to be made and it involves division rivalries.

Baseball does well because of tradition. Of the Big 3 team sports, the NBA is the youngest and has the least amount of tradition. People have always watched the NBA because of stars...not because of team allegiance or division races or a certain style of play. There was a time when the NBA played more division games because the league was so much smaller and they were NHL status...no one cared. More people are gonna watch whatever team Bron is on vs. whoever than will watch a Bucks/Pistons showdown, no matter how many of them you have in the schedule.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Me and Malta use to say it all the time. NBA should focus on Africa. Help build up some of the infrastructure, hold more than just camps and have a full blown academy, and actually invest in NBA Africa. My man who works there says it s a lot that they could do because the interest is there but the league doesn’t do half of what it should. I know peeps who would come to my crib to watch games on the weekend at like 2 in the morning because they were big fans. I think SABC doesn’t have a deal to broadcast games anymore either. ESPN stop broadcasting there like a few months before I moved there. Funny thing is you could always catch a Cowboys game party. This cat in the defense ministry always threw them shyts
Not enough money

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Here's the issue. While the NBA has many popular players that are household names, if a team does not have one of these players they might as well not exist unless it's the Knicks or Celtics or something. The smaller market teams with no star player are not being watched by anyone but people like me who will watch any game.

In the NFL it's more about the franchises. Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, 49ers, Packers, Bears.. on down the line.. it doesn't matter who is playing for any of these teams the fan base will WATCH...

Even if the team is complete garbage fans wanna see what the young QB is lookin like or how their other draft picks are looking. Also, in the NFL a team is never out of it for long. They could be 5-11 one year and then the next year make some moves, make a coaching change and they are 10-6 in the playoff hunt.

That don't happen in the NBA unless you can get one of the big names.

FromStLouis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis, U.S.A.
Baseball does well because of tradition. Of the Big 3 team sports, the NBA is the youngest and has the least amount of tradition. People have always watched the NBA because of stars...not because of team allegiance or division races or a certain style of play. There was a time when the NBA played more division games because the league was so much smaller and they were NHL status...no one cared. More people are gonna watch whatever team Bron is on vs. whoever than will watch a Bucks/Pistons showdown, no matter how many of them you have in the schedule.

You know what helps build tradition? Rivalries. In the NBA however, those happen once every blue moon where you luck into a Lakers-Celtics or Warriors-Cavs.

The best way to manufacture rivalries that the NFL and MLB figured out is to have divisions matter.

Like I said, there's enough games in a season, 2,460 to be exact where you can have a Bucks/Pistons showdown and still show Bron.

They're not mutually exclusive.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You know what helps build tradition? Rivalries. In the NBA however, those happen once every blue moon where you luck into a Lakers-Celtics or Warriors-Cavs.

The best way to manufacture rivalries that the NFL and MLB figured out is to have divisions matter.

Like I said, there's enough games in a season, 2,460 to be exact where you can have a Bucks/Pistons showdown and still show Bron.

They're not mutually exclusive.

Those rivalries were not only interdivisional, they were interconference. That goes against you point. The biggest NBA rivalries that you could name had nothing to do with divisions. Time is the key to tradition. The NFL and MLB have rivalries that have been around longer than the NBA has existed. No one cares about NBA rivalries unless stars are involved. You can't just do what NFL or MLB (which is not fukking with the NBA right now on a national level mind you) do and think you are gonna get the same results.

Frump

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Baseball fans care a great deal about their teams regular season and division. Baseball does very well regionally because of that.

Baseball's problem is there's too many games to maintain a consistent national audience during the regular season. But I suspect they're happy with the tradeoff as it hasn't hurt their national audiences when the postseason starts.

And yeah it wouldn't hurt the NBA to have more division games. You don't even have to take away the marquee national games to do so.

The question of would it draw the average person who doesn't watch NBA games is the wrong question and isn't your target audience.

Your target audience are the people who wait until the playoffs start before watching. Because that's when things are at stake.

You have to create stakes for the regular season (as best you can, no league is the NFL) more division games would help do that.

Bottom line, there's a more meaningful NBA regular season to be made and it involves division rivalries.

The only way to make the Nba regular season more meaningful is too make it to where only 4 teams per conference make the playoffs so teams couldn’t coast and there would be urgency

too many teams make the playoffs in the Nba and NHL and it devalues the regular season because there’s no urgency. The top teams no they can coast at times and still won’t come close to missing the playoffs.

say what they want about the baseball regular season but they have the least amount of teams of any of the leagues that make the playoffs so the regular season is important

FromStLouis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis, U.S.A.
Those rivalries were not only interdivisional, they were interconference. That goes against you point. The biggest NBA rivalries that you could name had nothing to do with divisions. Time is the key to tradition. The NFL and MLB have rivalries that have been around longer than the NBA has existed. No one cares about NBA rivalries unless stars are involved. You can't just do what NFL or MLB (which is not fukking with the NBA right now on a national level mind you) do and think you are gonna get the same results.

:snoop:

You completely misread my post. Have a nice day.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The only way to make the Nba regular season more meaningful is too make it to where only 4 teams per conference make the playoffs so teams couldn’t coast and there would be urgency

too many teams make the playoffs in the Nba and NHL and it devalues the regular season because there’s no urgency. The top teams no they can coast at times and still won’t come close to missing the playoffs.

say what they want about the baseball regular season but they have the least amount of teams of any of the leagues that make the playoffs so the regular season is important

Now this is valid. You have 82 games AND you let more that half the league in the playoffs to play 4 7 game series over another 2 months.

FromStLouis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis, U.S.A.

Sure but the NBA would never go for reducing the number of playoff teams.

Changing the path (obstructing it) via divisional rivalries is the next best thing and within reason.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Here's the issue. While the NBA has many popular players that are household names, if a team does not have one of these players they might as well not exist unless it's the Knicks or Celtics or something. The smaller market teams with no star player are not being watched by anyone but people like me who will watch any game.

In the NFL it's more about the franchises. Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, 49ers, Packers, Bears.. on down the line.. it doesn't matter who is playing for any of these teams the fan base will WATCH...

Even if the team is complete garbage fans wanna see what the young QB is lookin like or how their other draft picks are looking. Also, in the NFL a team is never out of it for long. They could be 5-11 one year and then the next year make some moves, make a coaching change and they are 10-6 in the playoff hunt.

That don't happen in the NBA unless you can get one of the big names.

The NBA's greatest period of success came because of stars...Magic/Bird and then Jordan. People watched the NBA more in general when you had these guys around. It's never been about teams in the NBA and it's really impossible to make it so because one player has so much impact. NBA definitely OD'd on the expansion. But people weren't checking for it back when it was 9 teams either.

Frump

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sure but the NBA would never go for reducing the number of playoff teams.

Changing the path (obstructing it) via divisional rivalries is the next best thing and within reason.

oh I know it will never happen I’m just saying that’s the only way to put any meaning into the regular season