NBA crisis over declining TV ratings and why China is so important: "stagnant since 1998"

Daps
This is what happens when you market players instead of the product

David stern overhyped Michael Jordan to unimaginable levels...he really got people thinking MJ was far better than any one else who played ever basketball up to that point ( kinda like Gretzky)

However, that is not true

Consequently, coming into the league, Lebron had huge shoes to fill

Imagine if he didn’t meet and exceed expectations....that would have been a wrap for the nba

michael Jordan is far and away the greatest most accomplished most marketable basketball player of all time. Failing to not market him like they did would have caused more damage and the nba would not have flourished in the 90s and 2000s.

You cannot overhype someone as dominant as a Michael Jordan.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
Every NFL game is QB vs. QB. If they don't have premier QBs they either hype up decent ones or turn to dynamic skills guys or if absolutely pushed against the wall, a top defensive player. The same overhyping is being done right now with Brady (who is an inferior individual player). And yet the NFL still gets huge ratings. Basketball was an afterthought in the mainstream until they pushed Magic and Bird and eventually Mike to the moon. It's still a more palatable and popular sport around the world. Football's edge is scarcity and conservative white folks. You only get 20 games over 5 months and it's gone. In the NBA you get 100 games over nearly 9 months. Confederate flag waivers have white American stars they can connect with. There is no way the NBA can compete in either regard in this country, it is what it is. But it's not a matter of the NBA making a misstep in terms of marketing.

This is completely false. NFL marketing will push a rivalry before a QB vs. QB thing. Few QB's have that carrying them.

The QB vs QB thing is luxury marketing for the NFL, not a must marketing like it is for the NBA.

Not a solitary "Brady vs. Danny Dimes" push I've seen for tonight's game. not a solitary one.

Consigliere

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Time zones is what’s killing the NBA. If you live on the east coast there’s no way you’re consistently staying up to 1:30 to watch west coast games. Look at the talent disparity that existed between East and West for most of the post Jordan years.

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I think only mostly real fans watch the regular season games and the past few years we almost thought the Warriors would win anyway....

But I can say this much in my circle we talk about basketball far more than football all year long...And more women I know even talk about basketball....But I will be honest it is all about the circle you are in because I don't know anyone who says anything about MLB or NHL...Plus the NBA is more global than the NFL and players are more recognizable.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is completely false. NFL marketing will push a rivalry before a QB vs. QB thing. Few QB's have that carrying them.

The QB vs QB thing is luxury marketing for the NFL, not a must marketing like it is for the NBA.

Not a solitary "Brady vs. Danny Dimes" push I've seen for tonight's game. not a solitary one.

Is Jones a premier QB? We gonna act like it would be the same if you had the Chiefs or Packers on the other side? The biggest rivalry of this century was Brady v. Manning.

Daps
We told y’all when Lebron started forming super teams what the repercussions were. :mjlol:.

now it’s MJs fault Lebron couldn’t fill his shoes and carry the league fukk outta here

We told y’all when the league went away from ISO basketball to guys standing around jacking 3s and basically playing pick and roll all game what would happen :mjlol:

As a fan I’m not interested in that. I can watch college ball for that.

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
They’re doing that with LeBron and now Zion too. What is expected to be a great season, with dynamic duos all over the league, the media is only talking about the Clippers, Lakers, and Pelicans.

We gonna pretend like the NFL media isn't Cowboys, Patriots, Mahomes dominated :unimpressed:

HandyWithTheSteel

Superstar
Daps
This is what happens when you market players instead of the product

David stern overhyped Michael Jordan to unimaginable levels...he really got people thinking MJ was far better than any one else who played ever basketball up to that point ( kinda like Gretzky)

However, that is not true

Consequently, coming into the league, Lebron had huge shoes to fill

Imagine if he didn’t meet and exceed expectations....that would have been a wrap for the nba

NBA has been a stars league going all the way back to Mikan in the ‘50s

s-l400.jpg

Basketball by nature leads itself to star players the same way football leads itself to teamwork and self sacrifice.

Marketing stars to draw interest of casuals isn’t new, but Stern overdid it with MJ at the expense of the league. Now MJ’s legacy is a bloated caricature of itself.

Last edited:
Daps
NBA has been a stars league going all the way back to Mikan in the ‘50s

s-l400.jpg

Basketball by nature leads itself to star players the same way football is follows teamwork and self sacrifice.

Marketing stars to draw interest of casuals isn’t new, but Stern overdid it with MJ at the expense of the league. Now MJ’s legacy is a bloated caricature of itself.

how did he over do it? Why wouldn’t stern market his best product to its maximum capacity. Maybe if anyone was able to beat MJ in the 90s sure, but he kept winning, was the most exciting player to watch etc.

If anything the league is suffering now from over marketing Lebron. He keeps loosing and they keep spouting this “best player” shyt. When they should have passed the torch a while ago.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
We told y’all when Lebron started forming super teams what the repercussions were. :mjlol:.

now it’s MJs fault Lebron couldn’t fill his shoes and carry the league fukk outta here

We told y’all when the league went away from ISO basketball to guys standing around jacking 3s and basically playing pick and roll all game what would happen :mjlol:

As a fan I’m not interested in that. I can watch college ball for that.

I hate that jacking up 3s all game shyt the NBA done turned into. It isn't fun to watch at all.

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
how did he over do it? Why wouldn’t stern market his best product to its maximum capacity. Maybe if anyone was able to beat MJ in the 90s sure, but he kept winning, was the most exciting player to watch etc.

If anything the league is suffering now from over marketing Lebron. He keeps loosing and they keep spouting this “best player” shyt. When they should have passed the torch a while ago.

Passed the torch to who? Who has been better than Lebron over the past years?

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Exactly. Players move on and retire. Teams don't.

Just trash. Also shows how big a mistake it was for the NBA to leave Seattle. They had a huge team following in that area of the country.

NBA marketing has been trash since 91 when they joined NBC and shifted away from team to player focus.

This is the end result.
Stop with the Seattle shyt. OKC has supported the Thunder more than Seattle supported the Sonics. And OKC has been one of the most popular teams in the league since the move due to the players they’ve had.

Seattle isn’t a huge market either and the Pacific Northwest already has the Blazers. Sonics wouldn’t move the needle like that. And this is coming from someone who wishes the Sonics never left, thinks Seattle is a cool city that lost a classic franchise.

Nothing wrong with the NBA’s marketing. The NFL does the same shyt with the dikk riding of certain squads and individual players. Stars dominate.

Last edited: