NBA crisis over declining TV ratings and why China is so important: "stagnant since 1998"

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
Gahdamn Stern shytted on Scott Skiles something viscous :laff:

The mental picture i had in my head of smug ass Stern standing at a podium with one single light shining down on him as a trembling Skiles stands up and speaks. Then Stern holdin his hands out to make the comparison.
Maaaan that has me dying :russ:

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Too many teams and too many games. How many people outside of Cali want to watch the Kings play. Hell most people in Cali don't even want to watch them play.

• Dap
Reactions: rlg

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
The NBA still not over putting all of their eggs into one MJ basket after damn near two decades.

I've been telling yall this since SOHH 00' :sas1:

Garbage marketing of individual players over teams created this problem.

Also, the league doesn't tell its story before 1980.

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
The NBA still not over putting all of their eggs into one MJ basket after damn near two decades.

It's wild. How many people have we met who say "I'm a Lebron fan" or "I'm a Westbrook fan" but not actually a fan of the team they are playing on. So when they leave or get injured, they ain't watching that team anymore :mjlol:

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
Also, the league doesn't tell its story before 1980.
The only teams that get advertised as "teams" are the Knicks, Sixers, and Celtics. The Lakers are a mix of both. That's why the long money and viewership follows those teams because they have a team following.

Keep pouring all of your attention into the changing sea of the back of the jersey rather than the stability of what's on the front of the jersey, brehs.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
It's wild. How many people have we met who say "I'm a Lebron fan" or "I'm a Westbrook fan" but not actually a fan of the team they are playing on. So when they leave or get injured, they ain't watching that team anymore :mjlol:
Exactly. Players move on and retire. Teams don't.

Just trash. Also shows how big a mistake it was for the NBA to leave Seattle. They had a huge team following in that area of the country.

NBA marketing has been trash since 91 when they joined NBC and shifted away from team to player focus.

This is the end result.

killacal

Banned
Daps
Gahdamn Stern shytted on Scott Skiles something viscous :laff:

The mental picture i had in my head of smug ass Stern standing at a podium with one single light shining down on him as a trembling Skiles stands up and speaks. Then Stern holdin his hands out to make the comparison.
Maaaan that has me dying :russ:
His response was even worse

.” Last week, Stern himself said, “No recollection at all. Not denying.” Make of that what you will.

:laff::laff:savage

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
This is what happens when you market players instead of the product

David stern overhyped Michael Jordan to unimaginable levels...he really got people thinking MJ was far better than any one else who played ever basketball up to that point ( kinda like Gretzky)

However, that is not true

Consequently, coming into the league, Lebron had huge shoes to fill

Imagine if he didn’t meet and exceed expectations....that would have been a wrap for the nba
Truth and while it saved the NBA, it made things always compared to unattainable hype. That said. This article is bullshyt. More people are spending on the NBA than most other sports and it has the best age group of fans. The author wrote this to shyt on the NBA about their response to China

RammerJammer

#RollTide #TSC #RiseUp #BullsNation #RIPKobe
Daps
Reppin
Montgomery, Alabama

They’re doing that with LeBron and now Zion too. What is expected to be a great season, with dynamic duos all over the league, the media is only talking about the Clippers, Lakers, and Pelicans.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is what happens when you market players instead of the product

David stern overhyped Michael Jordan to unimaginable levels...he really got people thinking MJ was far better than any one else who played ever basketball up to that point ( kinda like Gretzky)

However, that is not true

Consequently, coming into the league, Lebron had huge shoes to fill

Imagine if he didn’t meet and exceed expectations....that would have been a wrap for the nba

Every NFL game is QB vs. QB. If they don't have premier QBs they either hype up decent ones or turn to dynamic skills guys or if absolutely pushed against the wall, a top defensive player. The same overhyping is being done right now with Brady (who is an inferior individual player). And yet the NFL still gets huge ratings. Basketball was an afterthought in the mainstream until they pushed Magic and Bird and eventually Mike to the moon. It's still a more palatable and popular sport around the world. Football's edge is scarcity and conservative white folks. You only get 20 games over 5 months and it's gone. In the NBA you get 100 games over nearly 9 months. Confederate flag waivers have white American stars they can connect with. There is no way the NBA can compete in either regard in this country, it is what it is. But it's not a matter of the NBA making a misstep in terms of marketing.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
I always got a lot of flak when I say the NBA does a shytty job marketing it's product, even though the numbers back up my point. You can't hype up individual stars over the team, because stars don't last forever while the team will always be there.

Besides regular season basketball outside of a few matchups is fukking boring. Too many shytty ass teams who you know have chance. Too many dynasties, too much of the same old shyt year after year.

calh45

Cal
Daps
I love the Nba but Nba media and twitter would have you believe the Nba is as popular as the Nfl

On a national level it barely gets more ratings then baseball

it’s talked about so much by the media because espn/Disney overpaid for its rights

The NBA/ESPN made the biggest mistake possible by overtly trying to make it a year round thing. Now the free agent speculation and terrible hot takes backed by analytics overshadow the actual games. It's good for twitter fodder, but honestly it really has become like baseball where the regular season games don't matter until you get closer to the playoffs. The NFL games matter week to week because of fantasy football, gambling, and because it's a chance for people to day drink and party all day on Sundays. While the NBA was chasing China the NFL pumped money into daily fantasy and now it's more popular than ever even after Kaep, Kareem Hunt whooping a girl's ass on video, the players being actually insane, Mason Rudolph damn near dying on the field last week. It doesn't matter.