NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

charknicks

All Star
Daps
So far trying to piece things together

ESPN- Wednesdays during the season, plus a conference final and the NBA Finals each year, some playoff games
Amazon- The NBA Cup, The Play-In tournament, a conference final every OTHER year, and an exclusive night each week, some playoff games
3rd package (NBC/Peacock or TNT/MAX)- day/night of games, conference final every OTHER year, some playoff games

Per day/night
Sundays- ?
Mondays- ?
Tuesdays- ?
Wednesdays- ESPN
Thursdays- ?
Fridays- ? (No more ESPN)
Saturdays- ?

2026 playoffs
Play in tournament- Amazon
Playoffs, ESPN/ABC, Amazon, TNT or NBC
Conference Finals- ESPN/ABC (East), TNT or NBC (West)
NBA Finals- ESPN/ ABC

2027 playoffs
Play in tournament- Amazon
Playoffs- ESPN/ABC, Amazon, TNT or NBC
Conference Finals- ESPN/ABC (West), Amazon (East)
NBA Finals- ESPN/ABC

Avisible Man

S/N: 52093850
Daps
Massive overpay by NBC you’re paying the same as Disney but don’t even get the finals, you’re paying more than Amazon for less content. I see why WBD is hesitant to match Comcast

It looks like NBC had no choice but to overpay just to get their foot back in the door with the NBA. It looks like the league was negotiating in bad faith. 10 years with exclusive rights to the Finals for ESPN? Were the rights ever on the table? Comcast needed to know the game was rigged and joined forces with Warner or another company like Don and Ted did in Mad Men when they won Chevy.

It seems no different to me than how the NFL operates when hiring a cac as a coach / executive but not before bringing in a nikka for a sham interview. That's what happened here. They had ESPN in their back pocket. They were always going back to them. And they used ESPN to extort Comcast.

Is the league like, "okay, Comcast, we'll see you in 11 years and and y'all will have a chance at the Finals... rotation
wink-flirting.gif

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
It looks like NBC had no choice but to overpay just to get their foot back in the door with the NBA. It looks like the league was negotiating in bad faith. 10 years with exclusive rights to the Finals for ESPN? Were the rights ever on the table? Comcast needed to know the game was rigged and joined forces with Warner or another company like Don and Ted did in Mad Men when they won Chevy.

It seems no different to me than how the NFL operates when hiring a cac as a coach / executive but not before bringing in a nikka for a sham interview. That's what happened here. They had ESPN in their back pocket. They were always going back to them. And they used ESPN to extort Comcast.

Is the league like, "okay, Comcast, we'll see you in 11 years and and y'all will have a chance at the Finals... rotation
wink-flirting.gif

NO ESPN ALWAYS HAD THE RIGHT
TO MATCH WHO EVER WENT
AFTER THE "A" PACKAGE SO
NBC WAS ONLY GETTING THE FINALS
IF DISNEY DIDNT MATCH.

WARNER CAN ALSO MATCH
NBC BID AND NBC WILL BE ON
THE OUTSIDE LOOKING IN AGAIN.
:devil:
:evil:

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley

wink-flirting.gif

I think Disney and NBA had the deal locked up during the negotiation window. WBD made the mistake not doing the same, but likely didn’t have the money to do so.

Last edited:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I think Disney and NBA had the deal locked up during the negotiation window. WBD had the mistake not doing the same, but likely didn’t have the money to do so.

well now WBD will have no choice but to overpay.

Guess we getting 90 Day Fiance: The Movie :mjlol:

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley

Similarly, a request for an update on NBA rights talks netted only a partial answer. Zaslav said the company remains “in constructive negotiations with the NBA.” He added, “It’s a great league. The TNT team does a terrific job. And we love the NBA.” Zaslav then took a left turn into the movie business and HBO programming, saying it is a “shared experience” similar to live sports.

With the NBA expected to formalize deals in the coming days with Amazon and Disney-ESPN, one major chunk of rights remains contested. NBCUniversal has reportedly made an aggressive offer in the range of $2.5 billion a year to take over WBD’s position. WBD has the right to match NBCU, but the company is laboring to pay down debt and is managing through a period of ongoing linear TV decline. Last month, the exclusive negotiating window for incumbents Disney and WBD expired.

KnowledgeDropper

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Manhattan
If NBC gets this, they will be paying a massive amount for sports (NFL, NBA, Olympics, Premier League) that doesn’t seem sustainable. I guess they aren’t paying a whole lot for college sports but still

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
If NBC gets this, they will be paying a massive amount for sports (NFL, NBA, Olympics, Premier League) that doesn’t seem sustainable. I guess they aren’t paying a whole lot for college sports but still

THATS WHY THEYRE USING SPORTS
TO INCREASE PEACOCK SUBSCRIBERS.

ITS ALL ABOUT THE LONG GAME
:devil:
:evil:

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
In a weird way, it would be beneficial for Comcast to allow TNT to keep an NBA package. Unless Comcast just doesn’t give a shyt about selling cable anymore they need live sports to be on cable in order to sell subscriptions.

If the NBA leaves TNT and then NBA/MLB leaves the RSNs that will lead to the complete collapse of cable and therefore a large part of Comcast’s revenue.

Now that I can’t see the Braves on cable I’m seriously thinking about cancelling Comcast.