NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
I’m not certain but you already have ESPN and its channels through your normal youtube tv subscription so that might be why it’s not getting blocked since you’re watching the League Pass games through the yt tv app.
I know thats why its not getting blocked. I said I had League Pass thru Youtube TV in my original reply that said I don't really care about a game being on Peacock as long as League Pass is still only $50 a season going forward.

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley

Bank of America analyst Jessica Reif Ehrlich described the NBA rights renewal as "critical" to WBD's future given that TNT boasts the highest carriage fees, or fees pay-TV providers pay to network owners to carry their channels, out of all of the company's cable networks at an estimated $3 per subscriber.

"Should they lose these rights, there is a real risk WBD will not be able to maintain these affiliate fees in upcoming negotiations," she said.
Moreover, flagship content like the NBA is "typically used as a hook for negotiations with distributors that can drive carriage/rates across the rest of the portfolio."

"In light of the recent Disney/Charter renewal, the loss of the NBA could also have a derivative impact across the rest of WBD's cable networks which could have negative implications to WBD's future earnings power," Ehrlich warned.

Citi analyst Jason Bazinet estimated a $250 million hit to adjusted EBITDA should the company lose the media rights, driven by a $270 million loss in annual ad revenue and a potential 45% decline in TNT's affiliate fees.
"Despite all the other assets at WBD, from its streaming service to films and games, the company still is first and foremost driven by its linear networks," MoffettNathanson analyst Robert Fishman added in a note published on Thursday.

Fishman said the company's networks segment accounted for 51% of overall revenue and 89% of EBITDA last year with TNT estimated to have contributed roughly 30% to total domestic linear distribution revenue.

"TNT [is] one of the biggest drivers [of the networks segment]," the analyst wrote. "It is clear NBA is an anchor to TNT’s schedule."

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
Wait, what????

Forreal? :dahell:
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley

The NBA is sitting on a windfall—truly an amazing deal given the ever-tightening sports media marketplace, and a truly unfathomable accomplishment given the state of the league when David Stern took over a generation ago. Photo: Harry How/Getty Images
As Warner Bros. Discovery and NBC continue to duke it out for the NBA’s third and final media rights package—negotiations that are entering a third week with no agreement in sight, I’m told—ESPN’s and Amazon’s agreements are beginning to come into full view. Nothing’s been signed yet, and sources caution that some terms and packages may change—yada yada, you know the drill. All that said, ESPN and the league have agreed on a framework that will see the Disney-owned channel produce NBA games every Wednesday night during the regular season. ESPN will also give upthe Friday night games that it has been carrying as part of its current deal.

This arrangement confirms the industry-wide speculation that ESPN is technically paying more for less—the network’s average annual fee will increase from $1.5 billion to around $2.6 billion over the next 11 years, despite cutting its regular-season slate in half. On some level, this is merely a reflection of both the league’s rising fortunes and also the unavoidable realities of modern media conglomerates as they subsequently seek to buttress their declining cable businesses while leaning into their D.T.C. futures. To wit: ESPN, which is launching two streaming services in the next 16 months, had little choice but to bid aggressively. And, for its part, the company will remain the NBA’s dominant TV partner during the playoffs. Every season, it will carry the NBA Finals and one conference final series.

FakeNews

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not sure about this Amazon is supposed to be C package yet they’ll have a better slate than WBD/NBC.

So what exactly are WBD/NBC bidding for besides the occasional Conference Final?

Osmar

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Damn, I didn't realize how heavy the NBA went with streaming,

looks like ESPN -A package and both Amazon and Comcast or WBD are getting the B package to split

FakeNews

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
All-Star Weekend and some of the playoff inventory that ESPN and Amazon don’t get.
So essentially

Amazon: Saturdays, NBA Cup, Play in, Playoffs, rotation Conference Finals
ESPN: Wednesdays, Playoffs, every year conference Finals, NBA Finals

NBC: Sundays, All Star weekend, rotation of Conference Finals, playoffs
WBD: Tuesday or Thursday, All Star Weekend rotation Conference Finals, playoffs

Massive overpay by NBC you’re paying the same as Disney but don’t even get the finals, you’re paying more than Amazon for less content. I see why WBD is hesitant to match Comcast