NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

Scientific

Bacdafucup
Daps
Reppin
The H
Maybe I missed this kn this thread, but isn't Disney wanting to unload ESPN? Why would the NBA handcuff itself to giving them all the Finals? It's like they see what the NFL does, and they just refuse to do the same. Allow both ABC and NBC the Finals, and actually have them compete for the better product.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC

NBC is aggressively trying to get the NBA Finals every other year. So who knows but definitely sounds like NBC is in the mix for a package whether it’s a 3rd package or to take away from WBD. I would guess they get a smaller 3rd package

I don’t see why it’s either NBC or TNT

Why wouldn’t Adam Silver want 3 deals? And then another with a streamer?

That’s more money for the league

FakeNews

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

NBC is aggressively trying to get the NBA Finals every other year. So who knows but definitely sounds like NBC is in the mix for a package whether it’s a 3rd package or to take away from WBD. I would guess they get a smaller 3rd package

Per Ourand, Warner Bros. Discovery is making progress toward a deal, but not as much as ESPN. Comcast is said to be “aggressively” pursuing a deal for its NBC broadcast network and Peacock streaming service “that would affect WBD the most.” Reading between the lines, it would seem as if the new NBA deals might include NBC or WBD, but not both. While WBD (and ESPN) can match any offer made by a third party, WSJ reported that any new deals could be structured in such a way as to make matching difficult.

Good read but damn it’s going to be WBD vs NBC. What do people prefer the nostalgia of NBC, roundball rock etc vs Turners presentation and inside the NBA?

I don’t get it either

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley

I think it’s Cable vs Broadcast TV, it’s simple as that imo. They see that cable is a slowing dying entity and that sports will draw well on OTA. My thing is I don’t see why NBC would want the NBA this badly unless they got NBA Finals games. I think Disney smartly is trying to snuff NBC out of a package, Disney/ESPN is known for outbidding sports properties to make sure other media companies aren’t involved.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
I think it’s Cable vs Broadcast TV, it’s simple as that imo. They see that cable is a slowing dying entity and that sports will draw well on OTA. My thing is I don’t see why NBC would want the NBA this badly unless they got NBA Finals games. I think Disney smartly is trying to snuff NBC out of a package, Disney/ESPN is known for outbidding sports properties to make sure other media companies aren’t involved.

Thing is, Comcast has money to spend. Disney has been cost cutting. This could play out much differently than 2002.

Per Ourand, Warner Bros. Discovery is making progress toward a deal, but not as much as ESPN. Comcast is said to be “aggressively” pursuing a deal for its NBC broadcast network and Peacock streaming service “that would affect WBD the most.” Reading between the lines, it would seem as if the new NBA deals might include NBC or WBD, but not both. While WBD (and ESPN) can match any offer made by a third party, WSJ reported that any new deals could be structured in such a way as to make matching difficult.

Good read but damn it’s going to be WBD vs NBC. What do people prefer the nostalgia of NBC, roundball rock etc vs Turners presentation and inside the NBA?

I don’t get it either

I think Silver retains WBD if it’s either / or.

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley
Here’s the Joe Flint WSJ piece:

Amazon’s Prime Video, which airs NFL games, has been aggressive in pursuing the streaming package and is viewed by league and media executives as the front-runner. YouTube is also in the mix, those executives say. The streaming package would give a tech giant the right to show games in markets around the world.

Among traditional media companies, NBCUniversal is jostling with Disney and Warner for a package. It is angling for regular-season and playoff games to show on NBC and its Peacock streaming service, as well as rights for NBC to share the NBA Finals with Disney’s ABC, according to some people familiar with the discussions.