NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
with the news of Smackdown going to USA Network as of Fall 2024, that can't be good news for NBC tryna get NBA games.
Depends, Nick Khan said on Bill Simmons podcast that WBD and Comcast might partner up on a TV package. So that might be a way for NBC to get the games at a lesser price.
Comcast is using the money they saved from not renewing NHL rights

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley
Unfortunate.

It makes sense tho, CBS wasn’t interested in the NHL when it was available. Some thought Turner would partner with CBS on a combined bid, but that wasn’t the case. They just isn’t a spot to put NBA weekly. I think College Football Playoff will be only main sports entity they pursue in the future.

Morethan1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Midwest

Paywalled

Newsletters
Podcast
Media
NBA’s $75B Media Rights Quest Extending Beyond U.S. Borders
OCTOBER 16, 2023 | 02:34 PM | BY DAVID RUMSEY
The NBA will begin negotiating new U.S. media rights deals next year.
Two American media companies just battled for NBA rights in the U.K.
JONATHAN HUI-USA TODAY SPORTS
Link Copied
The NBA reportedly wants $75 billion for its next U.S. media rights contracts. But to achieve that ambitious goal, the league needs interested bidders willing to do whatever it takes to outspend each other.

While that bidding process won’t begin until after this season and any new deals won’t begin until 2025, the NBA just concluded a process for overseas rights including two key media power players.

TNT Sports, a subsidiary of Warner Bros. Discovery formerly known as BT Sport, just inked a multiyear deal to takeover the NBA’s U.K. media rights from Sky Sports, a subsidiary of Comcast.

WBD is one of the league’s two current American broadcast partners via TNT’s NBA package, along with Disney, which airs games on ESPN and ABC. WBD wants to retain its NBA rights but will face stiff competition from the likes of Comcast-owned NBC — which may be a significant bidder for the NBA’s next package of rights.

Other interested media companies could include Amazon, which has deep enough pockets to persuade the NBA to put a major package of games on streaming.

International Intrigue
While financial figures for the NBA’s U.K. media rights are unavailable, they most certainly pale in comparison to what the league’s next domestic deals will garner. However, the battle involving two American media giants provides a peak at what will be at stake next year when the league can begin negotiating new deals.

An aggressive move by WBD to grab U.K. rights could show the NBA it is serious about retaining its U.S. contract, while Comcast’s willingness to surrender those foreign rights could cancel out a U.S. pact for NBC.

FakeNews

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

From the comments

I think NBC is a real contender and it may be the case the league goes for four packages — NBC (OTA), ESPN and TNT (cable) and Amazon/Apple/other (streaming). Even if it goes for three packages, I still think NBC gets in, either replacing TNT or (as has been

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley

From the comments

I think NBC is a real contender and it may be the case the league goes for four packages — NBC (OTA), ESPN and TNT (cable) and Amazon/Apple/other (streaming). Even if it goes for three packages, I still think NBC gets in, either replacing TNT or (as has been

Shoot, I think Peacock will be included in any NBC deal. I think exclusive games on ESPN+ is a possibility.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
It's not load management or anything like that. It's the cable companies who are telling ESPN and the like to fukk off. ESPN used to have them over a barrel but they don't anymore because internet service is making up most of their revenue now.

So, ESPN and TNT are probably going to lose games and maybe a tech company like Amazon steps in and gets a package.

Jplaya2023

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Fukk amazon and apple

Tnt/tbs, NBC and ESPN/ABC

TNT goes back to Tuesday,Wed,Thur

NBC - Saturday and Sunday

ESPN - Monday Friday

Nba finals rotates between ABC and NBC every year