NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
Paulsen unloaded the clip on ESPN

starts around 29:40. Says some viewership is being left on the table with games being on cable. Says ESPN is a terrible over the air partner. And the NBA better not run it back with the ABC. Says it would be a massive failure by Silver if ABC is the lone or primary over the air partner for the NBA. Good listen.

Endeavor President and COO Mark Shapiro: NBA is in a position of strength. Everyone is gonna want a piece of them they drive viewership and platform

starts around 32-33 minute mark talks NBA

I would think / hope that the idea is for the NBA to urge Disney to put more games on ABC in the new deal…especially if NBC is going to be involved.

Disney would probably be foolish to not want it that way, as well.

I really hope we’re done with playoff games on NBA TV going forward.

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Teams who don't want to pay the LT batching about GS and teams that do
I’m going to be real I think it was the last Championship that got everyone pissed. The warriors stayed WAY over the salary cap through trades after KD wanted to leave and it eventually got them Wiggins and another championship. They just signed poole to $30 Mil too, and we’re open to keeping Draymond.

It is other team’s bytching but were the Warriors planning on just staying that far above for near forever? Operating at that much of a higher salary is a competitive advantage. If it wasn’t for injuries the warriors would have won a few more championships based on their willing to spend. The new cap means they are going to have to shed salary and that’s basically was the purpose.

Teams can still go deep in the luxury tax, just not perpetually deep into the luxury tax. What we’ll probably see is teams dipping into the second apron for “runs” and then letting guys walk to other teams after they see the window close.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
I mean there’s enough games to have the ok games on cable and the big matchups on network.. The nfl definitely be doing that. These nba fools be running games on the nba channel.. I think I know one person that even has that channel. I think having more games on network channels might be good for them. Fox needs it honestly because their prime time lineups are pretty much trash but they don’t want it.
That's kind of a problem. NFL fans don't shyt on a game being on the NFL Network. MLB fans don't shyt on games on the MLB Network. NHL fans are happy they can find games wherever, but NBA fans feel like having games on NBATV is beneath them. They get bougie with their own channel.

Fox should get in on it somehow, but in their mind, their bread and butter is football, college football and college hoops and that keeps them fed til baseball season, so they'd just be paying for the playoffs. That sets up for shyt crews and shyt coverage.

I would think / hope that the idea is for the NBA to urge Disney to put more games on ABC in the new deal…especially if NBC is going to be involved.

Disney would probably be foolish to not want it that way, as well.

I really hope we’re done with playoff games on NBA TV going forward.

I'm sure they'd want that (and with the writer's strike, they've already pushed a bunch of shows to midseason, but the NBA can't really take advantage of it because that runs into holiday break for networks).

The inherent issue with early playoff games on network TV is that is crashes right into shows in-season and most if not all of em are tryna get completed before Memorial Day weekend. They'll just move it to streaming and as a baseball fan, I HATE having to stream games.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
This is probably what I think the next TV deal will be

Mondays - NBA TV games (Streaming on the NBA App and MAX since Warner Brothers Discovery operates NBA TV)
Tuesday 7:30 PM ET and 10:30 PM ET - TNT (Streaming simultaneously on MAX)
Wednesday 7 PM ET and 9:30 PM ET - ESPN (Streaming simultaneously on ESPN+)
Thursday 8 PM ET and 10:30 PM ET - TNT (Streaming simultaneously on MAX)
Friday 8 PM ET and 10:30 PM ET - Amazon Prime or NBC via Peacock taking over the ESPN Friday night slot?

After the Super Bowl:
Saturday 5:30 PM ET & 8 PM ET - ABC
Sunday 3 PM ET, 5:30 PM ET, & 8 PM ET - NBC (Streaming simultaneously on PEACOCK)

Schadenfreude

All Star
Daps
If I'm TNT, I might want to get a closer partnership with NBA TV; aren't they in the same building? They could very well decouple Inside the NBA if they lost the rights to broadcast the games right?

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
If I'm TNT, I might want to get a closer partnership with NBA TV; aren't they in the same building? They could very well decouple Inside the NBA if they lost the rights to broadcast the games right?
NBA TV is literally in the next studio to the TNT one.

Based on what Adam Silver said tonight, on NBA TV no less, Warner Bros. Discovery is going to be part of the next deal.

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
That's kind of a problem. NFL fans don't shyt on a game being on the NFL Network. MLB fans don't shyt on games on the MLB Network. NHL fans are happy they can find games wherever, but NBA fans feel like having games on NBATV is beneath them. They get bougie with their own channel.

Fox should get in on it somehow, but in their mind, their bread and butter is football, college football and college hoops and that keeps them fed til baseball season, so they'd just be paying for the playoffs. That sets up for shyt crews and shyt coverage.

I'm sure they'd want that (and with the writer's strike, they've already pushed a bunch of shows to midseason, but the NBA can't really take advantage of it because that runs into holiday break for networks).

The inherent issue with early playoff games on network TV is that is crashes right into shows in-season and most if not all of em are tryna get completed before Memorial Day weekend. They'll just move it to streaming and as a baseball fan, I HATE having to stream games.
Not fair here. The NFL and MLB Networks go all out and have top of the line production in every facet of their channels from the games, to the highlight shows to their other programming, etc. NBA TV is pretty much the Spirt Airlines of sports channels and the crazy thing is their tv set is right next door to TNT's Inside the NBA set. They don't have any programming other than NBA Tonight after the games are over. Even their graphics and displays seem to be from the 90's. I watch games on NBA TV with no problems but everyone knows that channel could be a beast but they seem to not spend a dime on that channel. I'm shocked that in the year of 2023 they don't even have their own "First Take" type show every day of the week, and that type of show cost nothing to make. Even Camron & Mase made a sports debate show before these dudes

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
Amazon

Pros: If the NBA carves out a package for another broadcaster, Amazon is a likely frontrunner. The company recently proved it can exclusively stream a season of NFL games without major hiccups. Those contests also reached more younger viewers, an attractive selling point for a league that wants to stay relevant with the next generation. And Amazon is already in business with the NBA in various ways, including streaming games in Brazil.

Cons: Amazon’s Thursday night NFL viewership this season was down about 40% from the year before when the games were on traditional TV and Prime Video, a potential concern for NBA executives. Also, Amazon has made higher bids than TV networks on recent sports rights deals, including for the Big Ten Conference, but come away empty handed. It’s a sign that some sports leagues still prefer their games to be on traditional TV and not behind the paywall of a streaming service.

Comcast/NBCUniversal

Pros: NBC has history with the NBA, having broadcast its games during the Michael Jordan era of the 1990s and early 2000s. NBC remains in business with the league — its regional sports networks show NBA teams, including the Golden State Warriors and Boston Celtics, to local fans. Like Disney, NBC can offer broadcast, cable and streaming. And one of NBC’s top executives, Mark Lazarus, helped secure a deal with the NBA when he was the head of sports at Turner (now part of Warner Bros. Discovery).

Cons: Like its peers, NBCUniversal has been cutting costs and has potential renewals with WWE and NASCAR on the horizon, which might limit how much it can afford to pay for NBA rights.

Apple

Pros: Apple has been expanding its ambitions in sports, having acquired rights to Major League Soccer and Major League Baseball. It can reach hundreds of millions of people globally who own its devices. It has a relationship with the league via a music deal. The NBA has also structured its media contracts so its local, national and international rights deals are set to expire at the same time. That may be especially attractive to Apple, which showed in its MLS deal a preference for acquiring the global media rights to a sports property. Apple executive Eddy Cue is a fan of the Golden State Warriors and, like commissioner Silver, went to Duke University.

Cons: How committed Apple is to live sports remains unclear, and it’s difficult to tell whether the investment is paying off because the company does not reveal how many people watch its soccer and baseball broadcasts.

Fox

Pros: Fox has expressed some interest in NBA rights. Unlike its peers, Fox doesn’t have a streaming service that shows high-profile live sports. But, according to people familiar with the matter, the company might be open to making a joint bid where NBA games would be shown simultaneously on Fox’s broadcast network and another company’s streaming service.

Cons: At the recent SVB MoffettNathanson investor conference, Fox CEO Lachlan Murdoch appeared to pour cold water on the idea, saying it was “highly unlikely” that his company would make a bid.

Netflix

Pros: Netflix is unlikely to be a serious bidder for US rights to NBA games, but may bid for a smaller package of games in some international markets. The company has explored buying sports rights, including tennis in some European markets, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Cons: Netflix has no experience streaming live sports and a company spokeswoman said the idea that it was open to bidding on NBA rights is “not accurate.” The company is still trying to master the technical challenge of streaming live programming. In April, Netflix botchedan attempt to show a live reunion of Love is Blind, frustrating fans.

This shyt can get ugly some day. Imagine needing 5 or 6 different services just to watch games

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

There's some things to unpack here. Kinda sounds like he could want there to be a multicast structure where consumers can pick the programming they want to watch.

He just put it out there that Inside the NBA should be the official show of the NBA and everybody should be able to access it. Live Stream via YouTube while it's airing on cable???

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
Not fair here. The NFL and MLB Networks go all out and have top of the line production in every facet of their channels from the games, to the highlight shows to their other programming, etc. NBA TV is pretty much the Spirt Airlines of sports channels and the crazy thing is their tv set is right next door to TNT's Inside the NBA set. They don't have any programming other than NBA Tonight after the games are over. Even their graphics and displays seem to be from the 90's. I watch games on NBA TV with no problems but everyone knows that channel could be a beast but they seem to not spend a dime on that channel. I'm shocked that in the year of 2023 they don't even have their own "First Take" type show every day of the week, and that type of show cost nothing to make. Even Camron & Mase made a sports debate show before these dudes
part of that is because we don't really wanna see basketball anywhere else outside of TNT and NBC. They'd have to have Roundball Rock, Inside the NBA and Mike Breen & Kevin Harlan calling games for us to feel like progress was made.

and it's not so much that the other networks go all out. It's that they're the most willing to talk about the sport. NFL Network weaves in the best balance between talking about the sport and being gossipy. MLB Network will do a segment on Kyle Freeland's fastball and shyt. It's perfect background noise if you wanna catch highlights or local coverage. They don't spend much on that channel because it's the channel hoops fans need, but not want and the stuff fans want pops up in Woj and Shams tweets.

What I would say is that they should look to some of these content creators doin their thing online, but that's what led to The Starters and y'all lamed out on them.

What hoops fans need: why some of these role players are so critical to the Nuggets and Heat.

what hoops fans want: how are we getting Embiid to the Lakers?