NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
I believe they did that for round two. Same with NBC. The biggest problem is hoe ass ABC tries to drive viewership to ESPN so they will only put a couple of games on ABC on Saturday/Sunday and and drive the rest of the viewership to ESPN.

Where as when NBC had the NBA they had no problem putting a triple header on Saturday and Sunday without having to change a channel.

Also when TNT exclusively had the NBA they would have first round NBA games on at the same time on TNT and TBS.

NBC was far better at promoting the sport and showing constant commercial for the upcoming games during the playoffs. ESPN doesn't do that really and especially don't do it on ABC for the upcoming NBA playoff games that are airing on the ABC channel.

That changed when Turner Sports started running NBA.com, NBA TV, etc. This started with the previous TV deal signed in 2006.

Everyone that works at NBA TV works for Turner.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
I believe they did that for round two. Same with NBC. The biggest problem is hoe ass ABC tries to drive viewership to ESPN so they will only put a couple of games on ABC on Saturday/Sunday and and drive the rest of the viewership to ESPN.

Where as when NBC had the NBA they had no problem putting a triple header on Saturday and Sunday without having to change a channel.

Also when TNT exclusively had the NBA they would have first round NBA games on at the same time on TNT and TBS.

NBC was far better at promoting the sport and showing constant commercial for the upcoming games during the playoffs. ESPN doesn't do that really and especially don't do it on ABC for the upcoming NBA playoff games that are airing on the ABC channel.

NBC would shuttle games to USA network if they had all the games now (except Monday, Vince would kill Jeff Shell). When these conglomerates have more options, they're gonna use them now.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
There's no reason in 2023, New York Knicks playoff game is only airing on ESPN and not on any other local-NYC affiliate channel, but My 9 flimsy network is broadcasting Sixer/Nets snoozefest:unimpressed::stopitslime::russell:
MSG is airing the first round of Knicks /Cavs.

My9 is airing Sixers /Nets because the Yankees run YES.

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley
If I am 100, I don't believe NBC showed second-round games on weeknights and neither did ABC. And game 7s were always on Saturday or Sunday.

ABC did in the early years of their coverage

I remember in 03, Spurs-LAL Game 6 aired on ABC and I remember DET-IND Game 6 in 05 was a weekday ABC game too:

EDIT: The Fisher buzzer beater LAL-SAS Game 5 04 was also a weekday game on ABC too

Last edited:

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
The network shows that do well aren't getting pushed over by a playoff game until their seasons are over because those shows bring in the advertisers. That's why playoff games either pop up only on the weekend when there aren't shows on or when they're showing re-runs. For example, NBC wouldn't be airing shyt on a Wednesday or Thursday because that's dikk Wolf's territory.

At best, what you're seeing on ABC is that most of their shows end in 2 weeks so there's room to air other stuff if need be. (Abbott Elementary ends on Wednesday) but on Network TV, most shows wait til mid-May to wrap up and it's been that way even when Jordan ran the world.
D*ck Wolf shows are in their twilight phase. Hardly anybody talks about traditional network shows theses days, water cooler talk especially. There might be one or two threads tops on a network show in The Film Room which imo does guage pretty accurately of what's hot and up and coming in film and television. I can see the 5th or 6th variation/spinoff of a NCIS, Chicago Med, or Law & Order getting nudged aside in a couple of years for some live sports

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
The NBA needs to work with the networks on these tip off times

Charles Barkley was speaking for me last night when he went off on that 10:30 tip of the Denver game

These times are fukked up people gotta go to work..

Kids have to go to school

There was no reason to tip that game off yesterday at 10:30

I don’t care about time zones and all that there needs to be a compromise
Huge huge country tho. I get what you're saying for games on the weekend but it's really tough to do on weekdays. England's English Premier League soccer schedule works perfectly for everyone in England simply because that country is the size of Texas. Thousands of miles and four time zones is tough to deal with tv wise

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
If I am 100, I don't believe NBC showed second-round games on weeknights and neither did ABC.
ABC did have 2nd round games on weeknights in 2004 and 2005. I remember Lakers-Spurs Game 5 was a weeknight game.

Then there was this 14 year gap.

I'm pretty sure NBC also did air games (2nd round) on weeknights at some point. Rare but it did happen.

But since the 1980s, NBA playoff games on weeknights have been on cable... TNT/TBS

Joe Sixpack

Build and Destroy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rotten Apple
Huge huge country tho. I get what you're saying for games on the weekend but it's really tough to do on weekdays. England's English Premier League soccer schedule works perfectly for everyone in England simply because that country is the size of Texas. Thousands of miles and four time zones is tough to deal with tv wise
I hear you but man we got to have some compromises..

These late tipoffs are ridiculous

They even have these late tips on holidays too

Everyone is home and they’ll still do some 10 pm tip

They have to try and meet in the middle

Last edited:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I'm pretty sure NBC also did air games (2nd round) on weeknights at some point.
If they did it, it was very rare.

My point is weeknight playoff games before the conference finals were not commonplace on network TV. Being made it didn't happen last night makes no sense to me.

The late TV times is a more valid concern That Nuggets/Wolves game ended around 1:30 am on the east coast last night. THere is no reason for games to be on that late.

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
I hear you but man we got to have some compromises..

These late tipoffs are ridiculous

They even have these late tips on holidays too

Everyone is home and they’s still do some 10 pm tip

They have to try and meet in the middle
But you did see they put the main teams and games on earlier as the Nuggets-Wolves was mostly for the people in Colorado & Minnesota. Overlapping games are coming up during the week. It's going to suck on Thursday when Kings-Warriors & Clippers-Suns are on at the same time. Those games are 7pm pacific-10pm eastern tip off times as you cant do a 6pm tip off time out here in the west

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
But you did see they put the main teams and games on earlier as the Nuggets-Wolves was mostly for the people in Colorado & Minnesota. Overlapping games are coming up during the week. It's going to suck on Thursday when Kings-Warriors & Clippers-Suns are on at the same time. Those games are 7pm pacific-10pm eastern tip off times as you cant do a 6pm tip off time out here in the west

They could’ve put Bucks-Heat at 12 CST and move Nuggets-Wolves to 5 if they wanted Clippers-Suns in the primetime slot