NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
D*ck Wolf shows are in their twilight phase. Hardly anybody talks about traditional network shows theses days, water cooler talk especially. There might be one or two threads tops on a network show in The Film Room which imo does guage pretty accurately of what's hot and up and coming in film and television. I can see the 5th or 6th variation/spinoff of a NCIS, Chicago Med, or Law & Order getting nudged aside in a couple of years for some live sports
There's three things that make you gold when you're on Network TV with advertisers

1. You're part of a franchise (so 9-1-1, Grey's Anatomy universe, Law & Order, FBI, NCIS, or anything Chuck Lorre, Lorne Michaels, dikk Wolf is backing)

2. you draw big time numbers (so think Ghosts, Young Sheldon)

or (and this is where your point about streaming shows kick in), you're winning big time awards. A show like Abbott Elementary isn't a valued show because it draws. It's valued because it wins awards and when you win, advertisers bet the house on you.

and I'd never use the "who's talking about this show" point as a gauge of anything. I'm the only one I know who watches Young Sheldon, yet it's arguably the biggest comedy on TV consistently.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
I hear you but man we got to have some compromises..

These late tipoffs are ridiculous

They even have these late tips on holidays too

Everyone is home and they’s still do some 10 pm tip

They have to try and meet in the middle
the only way to meet in the middle is to air them concurrently, which they deal with during the first round, but on the weekend they don't wanna do that.
They could’ve put Bucks-Heat at 12 CST and move Nuggets-Wolves to 5 if they wanted Clippers-Suns in the primetime slot
That's a major diss to the Bucks though. Top seed and I gotta play a game at noon my time?

All yesterday proved was that if a series is gonna take a hit ratings wise, the Nuggets series is the one they're willing to lose

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
the only way to meet in the middle is to air them concurrently, which they deal with during the first round, but on the weekend they don't wanna do that.

That's a major diss to the Bucks though. Top seed and I gotta play a game at noon my time?

All yesterday proved was that if a series is gonna take a hit ratings wise, the Nuggets series is the one they're willing to lose

Previous two seasons when Miami & Philly were 1 seeds they had their playoff opener at 1 PM EST on Sunday on TNT :manny:

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
There's three things that make you gold when you're on Network TV with advertisers

1. You're part of a franchise (so 9-1-1, Grey's Anatomy universe, Law & Order, FBI, NCIS, or anything Chuck Lorre, Lorne Michaels, dikk Wolf is backing)

2. you draw big time numbers (so think Ghosts, Young Sheldon)

or (and this is where your point about streaming shows kick in), you're winning big time awards. A show like Abbott Elementary isn't a valued show because it draws. It's valued because it wins awards and when you win, advertisers bet the house on you.

and I'd never use the "who's talking about this show" point as a gauge of anything. I'm the only one I know who watches Young Sheldon, yet it's arguably the biggest comedy on TV consistently.
This sounds more like the early 2000's reasoning not 2023. Even if they win awards companies aren't going to bet the house on shows that have no viewers and are rarely talked about. Hell outside of ABC's Abbott Elementary and one or two other specific categories the traditional network shows aren't even nominated in this upcoming Emmys. Network tv will always sell ads and yeah the Law & Orders, NCIS's, and Big City Hospital & PD shows will always be around but evidently something not adding up in the future for the big networks with streaming shows getting the majority of the awards and a company like NBC-Comcast is dying to get back with the NBA. I'm sure they had no problems letting it go after Jordan retired and their Law & Orders took off but the boomers watching these crime/mystery-of-the-week shows aren't doing what they used to. Live sports are the guaranteed ad sellers these days period

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
They could’ve put Bucks-Heat at 12 CST and move Nuggets-Wolves to 5 if they wanted Clippers-Suns in the primetime slot
The Lakers-Grizzlies had the afternoon primetime spot on Sunday. Clipps-Suns had the night prime slot and evidently the Wolves-Nuggets was the throw in game. ABC gets their say on the weekends and no other game can be scheduled to play opposite of it. They wanted Lakers-Grizz at 12 noon pacific and that pushed all the other games to come on after it. Its the same with Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN. MLB has every game over with so when the Sunday night game is up its the only game being played for the rest of the night.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
Previous two seasons when Miami & Philly were 1 seeds they had their playoff opener at 1 PM EST on Sunday on TNT :manny:
exactly. at 1. Not 12.
This sounds more like the early 2000's reasoning not 2023. Even if they win awards companies aren't going to bet the house on shows that have no viewers and are rarely talked about. Hell outside of ABC's Abbott Elementary and one or two other specific categories the traditional network shows aren't even nominated in this upcoming Emmys. Network tv will always sell ads and yeah the Law & Orders, NCIS's, and Big City Hospital & PD shows will always be around but evidently something not adding up in the future for the big networks with streaming shows getting the majority of the awards and a company like NBC-Comcast is dying to get back with the NBA. I'm sure they had no problems letting it go after Jordan retired and their Law & Orders took off but the boomers watching these crime/mystery-of-the-week shows aren't doing what they used to. Live sports are the guaranteed ad sellers these days period
Comcast wants in on the NBA because they have other channels to support it now. ABC/ESPN combining made that structure incredibly convenient (NBA left NBC because they had a bundle NBC didn't have.) Premier League and when they had the NHL helped Comcast figure when and where to schedule stuff if they ever did get the NBA back and they're gonna wind up doing what ABC/ESPN did which is not shoot themselves in the foot when they don't have to. Where ABC always looked clumsy is that they usually bring up the rear compared to CBS and NBC in terms of their shows.

Live sports is a content farm, which TV loves, but networks aren't gonna build themselves around it anymore unless it's of course the NFL and even networks conceded Thursday Night Football for the next 11 years to Amazon.

charknicks

All Star
Daps
I hear you but man we got to have some compromises..

These late tipoffs are ridiculous

They even have these late tips on holidays too

Everyone is home and they’ll still do some 10 pm tip

They have to try and meet in the middle

I agree with weekends and holidays. There was no reason to have a tipoff of 10:30 eastern on a Sunday night. That should have been 9/9:30 at the latest.

But on weekdays, they are already with the 7pm pacific tip offs. Gotta allow people in those cities to get to the games. Time to get their kids from home, etc. If they started earlier, then people would complain that the atmosphere is dead in the building, etc.

Rakpo98

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Lakers-Grizzlies had the afternoon primetime spot on Sunday. Clipps-Suns had the night prime slot and evidently the Wolves-Nuggets was the throw in game. ABC gets their say on the weekends and no other game can be scheduled to play opposite of it. They wanted Lakers-Grizz at 12 noon pacific and that pushed all the other games to come on after it. Its the same with Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN. MLB has every game over with so when the Sunday night game is up its the only game being played for the rest of the night.

Yesterday was absolutely ridiculous. There's NO way any playoff game (ON A SUNDAY NIGHT NO LESS) should start at 10:30PM EST. That's malpractice. NBA playoff games should be scheduled on weekends like this:

1PM
3:30PM
6PM
8:30PM.

NO playoff game should be ending past 11PM on a Sunday night. Weeknights are another story, but on weekends, play them earlier. They should've done this yesterday:

Heat-Bucks 1PM
Lakers-Grizzlies 3:30PM (ABC)
Timerwolves-Nuggets 6PM
Clippers-Suns 8PM

That would've been the logical way to handle yesterday's schedule. That way all games would've ended before 11PM. You could've also still had Lakers-Grizzlies at 3:30PM AND Clippers-Suns at 8PM just like it was yesterday. I know that the Bucks would get the short end of the stick, since there game is on the earliest and they're the #1 seed, but that series (If Giannis is healthy), should be getting the TNT/NBA TV treatment. This schedule would've worked for everyone, because it would've been afternoon games for all the cities the games were taking place in (even Phoenix with a 5PM local start).

Last edited:

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley
TNT (and NBA TV by extension) will get grandfathered in too.

Mickey Mouse about to get the :camby:

I think it’s more likely TNT loses the NBA then ESPN/ABC honestly. The sports media experts seem to think that there’s a chance they might get outbid if a NBC makes a big offer that Turner might not match. I think they stick around with less games, but it’s possible they are out.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
I think it’s more likely TNT loses the NBA then ESPN/ABC honestly. The sports media experts seem to think that there’s a chance they might get outbid if a NBC makes a big offer that Turner might not match. I think they stick around with less games, but it’s possible they are out.
What happens to NBA TV then?

Since 2008, Turner has been operating NBA.com, NBA TV, etc.