NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

Stick Up Kid

Veteran
WOAT
Daps
Reppin
Newark NJ
NBA needs to leave TNT...

Barkley,Shaq are the WOAT ambassadors of the game... him tellin fans not to watch the 1st round of the playoffs was on some bozo shyt.

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley
Let's say WBD extends and Comcast also gets a deal with NBC/Peacock... and then they merge. How does that work?

No clue lol, I’m sure a merger would cause them to sell off assets like channels and stuff along those lines. But does make you think that Marchand isn’t high on WBD retaining and Comcast back in the picture. I doubt under a 2nd term of Biden it happens but who knows what the landscape will be in 2024.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
NBA needs to leave TNT...

Barkley,Shaq are the WOAT ambassadors of the game... him tellin fans not to watch the 1st round of the playoffs was on some bozo shyt.
Silver should have pulled a Goodell on ESPN/TNT for that just like the NFL did when Hill and Simmons essentially said the same thing. The worst part about it is that a lot of people on social media found his comments to be funny.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
I have a hard time seeing that happening
No clue lol, I’m sure a merger would cause them to sell off assets like channels and stuff along those lines. But does make you think that Marchand isn’t high on WBD retaining and Comcast back in the picture. I doubt under a 2nd term of Biden it happens but who knows what the landscape will be in 2024.
Yeah, the DOJ and FTC will block a merger of that size quickly right now and next year.

FakeNews

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Conclusions​

The point of this examination is not to argue that the NBA is in a particularly strong position right now. It is hard to imagine that the league wants to be in the same viewership range it was in 20 years ago, when perceptions surrounding the game were perhaps even more negative than they are today, especially given the contribution from out-of-home viewing that did not exist back then. With that said, the NBA’s current viewership situation is frankly par for the course for the league in the post-Jordan era and to no small extent unavoidable given the decline in television viewing.

It may be cold comfort that the league has been in far worse situations before — the 16% decline from 2017-18 to the current season pales in comparison to the 49% plunge from 1998-99 to 2002-03 or even the 26% drop from the 2001-02 to 2006-07 — but that does not make it any less true. It is not exactly saying much that the league is outdrawing baseball, hockey and college basketball, but again that does not make it any less true.

The reality is that the league’s downturn is both real and exaggerated. The NBA may not be faring as well as five, ten or certainly 25 years ago, but it is faring far better than what seems to be the popular perception.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps