NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps

I took a second to read the complaint and WB’s argument is basically that the contract allows for us match any form of distribution and that Amazon isn’t available anywhere that Max isn’t (that isn’t true) but they limit it to being able to be used on any advice. They further argue that there is no business reason for Amazon to strictly be putting the NBA on Prime Video (and not somewhere else like TV) and that they’re simply doing this to stop WB from matching.

That doesn’t make sense though - Amazon is a steaming only service. They also argue that the upfront payment is structured solely so that WB doesn’t match m, which the NBA can simply explain as the premium Amazon is willing to pay for the service.

Their best argument is that the NBA approved before giving them an opportunity to match but the NBA’s counter would be that they are a 30-member org and they had no duty to present a proposal that owners had not agreed to yet. Further, they had an exclusive negotiating window so they were privy to where the NBA was going. Last, the NBA will argue that while TNT had a right to match any offer - nowhere in the contract does it say that it means strictly money. And that Amazon provides them a global audience and that they will be distributing the NBA globally, which WB does not and cannot do.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Yeah I just cancelled cable and did the math. It’s the same shyt if I want to watch everything. But if peacock stays under 10 I’ll keep it with Amazon and that’s it. I’m not paying over $10 for any of this shyt and definitely not for 3 or more.
Exactly... @Left.A1 is trying to argue for no reason lmao

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I took a second to read the complaint and WB’s argument is basically that the contract allows for us match any form of distribution and that Amazon isn’t available anywhere that Max isn’t (that isn’t true) but they limit it to being able to be used on any advice. They further argue that there is no business reason for Amazon to strictly be putting the NBA on Prime Video (and not somewhere else like TV) and that they’re simply doing this to stop WB from matching.

That doesn’t make sense though - Amazon is a steaming only service. They also argue that the upfront payment is structured solely so that WB doesn’t match m, which the NBA can simply explain as the premium Amazon is willing to pay for the service.

Their best argument is that the NBA approved before giving them an opportunity to match but the NBA’s counter would be that they are a 30-member org and they had no duty to present a proposal that owners had not agreed to yet. Further, they had an exclusive negotiating window so they were privy to where the NBA was going. Last, the NBA will argue that while TNT had a right to match any offer - nowhere in the contract does it say that it means strictly money. And that Amazon provides them a global audience and that they will be distributing the NBA globally, which WB does not and cannot do.

You won't be in the rooms so stop pretending and let it play out. :pachaha:

GilSho

Veteran
Daps
The NBA is right to move on from it. Chuck, Kenny and Ernie are all in their 60s and nearing retirement. They were already grooming the likes of Draymond amongst others to takeover the role and they all stunk.

NBA legends trashing the quality of the League, bemoaning how much the game sucked and even telling fans to avoid certain games was bad for business anyway.

If the League starts getting quality coverage like the NFL or the English Premier League does then it'll be better for basketball in the long term. Hopefully we get less loudmouths, hot take artists and buffoons. And more of the Ryan Clark, Dan Orlovsky, Tim Legler type.

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
So now it's cool to shyt on Inside the NBA? Yall will say anything in here :mjlol:
Now? nikka please you the only one in here putting in a cape for that c00n Charles Barkely and it's for a reason.. Lazy ass nikkas don't even watch the games the shyt is pathetic :camby:

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
The NBA is right to move on from it. Chuck, Kenny and Ernie are all in their 60s and nearing retirement. They were already grooming the likes of Draymond amongst others to takeover the role and they all stunk.

NBA legends trashing the quality of the League, bemoaning how much the game sucked and even telling fans to avoid certain games was bad for business anyway.

If the League starts getting quality coverage like the NFL or the English Premier League does then it'll be better for basketball in the long term. Hopefully we get less loudmouths, hot take artists and buffoons. And more of the Ryan Clark, Dan Orlovsky, Tim Legler type.
That's one thing about the NFL , least most the coverage I see, nfl doesnt really let their broadcast rip their own product. Most the players, like you mentioned, are classy/professional enough to critic w/o shytting on everything. They also give knowledge about shyt too, gamewise.

lamont614

Superstar
Daps
Amazon is cheaper then cable I could care less

I was watching the playoffs games on hbo max

But prime video is cheaper and you getter better benefits

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida

Those guys used to brag about NOT watching games lol any other sport would've shut that shyt down immediately

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
I read all this as NBA will have to give up likely billions to WBD in a settlement
No they won’t. How you read that and came to that conclusion is questionable. First off, they’re not looking to settle - they are looking for specific performance. No settlement will help them recover the economic loss. And no judge is awarding them damages that far exceed the terms of the contract itself in order to make them whole. The settlement here would be for them to get some NBA games in a fourth package.

The NBA has the highly credible argument that matching does not mean taking any deal that seems equal in monetary value at face value.

Amazon presents a much greater economic opportunity. The idea that WB can credibly claim that the NBA was not negotiating in good faith when they negotiated with WB for months in accordance with the previous contract and even allowed Amazon into that exclusive window at TNT’s behest (they all flirted with bringing in YouTube TV/Google in some co-capacity) is far fetched. The NBA will point out that the fact that TNT brought in Amazon in and of itself was evidence that they knew they could not offer everything the NBA wanted. It’s only a question of how much of the negotiations the NBA wants to put into the record - or better yet, can get in on a reply.

Last edited:

thelonious21

I like my women tall
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Da Hood
No they won’t. How you read that and came to that conclusion is questionable. First off, they’re not looking to settle - they are looking for specific performance. No settlement will help them recover the economic loss. And no judge is awarding them damages that far exceed the terms of the contract itself in order to make them whole. The settlement here would be for them to get some NBA games in a fourth package.

The NBA has the highly credible argument that matching does not mean taking any deal that seems equal in monetary value at face value.

Amazon presents a much greater economic opportunity. The idea that WB can credibly claim that the NBA was not negotiating in good faith when they negotiated with WB for months in accordance with the previous contract and even allowed Amazon into that exclusive window at TNT’s behest (they all flirted with bringing in YouTube TV/Google in some co-capacity) is far fetched. The NBA will point out that the fact that TNT brought in Amazon in and of itself was evidence that they knew they could not offer everything the NBA wanted. It’s only a question of how much of the negotiations the NBA wants to put into the record - or better yet, can get in on a reply.

The fact Amazon gave them 2.billy up front.. and WBD can't.. should mean yall can't match the offer..

I think there is another "tier" that can be created tho to maybe throw TNT a bone.. but they may not want Cavs V Hawks. Or Charlotte V Portland