NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley
No they won’t. How you read that and came to that conclusion is questionable. First off, they’re not looking to settle - they are looking for specific performance. No settlement will help them recover the economic loss. And no judge is awarding them damages that far exceed the terms of the contract itself in order to make them whole. The settlement here would be for them to get some NBA games in a fourth package.

The NBA has the highly credible argument that matching does not mean taking any deal that seems equal in monetary value at face value.

Amazon presents a much greater economic opportunity. The idea that WB can credibly claim that the NBA was not negotiating in good faith when they negotiated with WB for months in accordance with the previous contract and even allowed Amazon into that exclusive window at TNT’s behest (they all flirted with bringing in YouTube TV/Google in some co-capacity) is far fetched. The NBA will point out that the fact that TNT brought in Amazon in and of itself was evidence that they knew they could not offer everything the NBA wanted. It’s only a question of how much of the negotiations the NBA wants to put into the record - or better yet, can get in on a reply.

The NBA doesn’t want this to go to discovery in court is why they settle. Look at the NFL Sunday Ticket antitrust lawsuit, the NFL arrogantly believed (and they still might) win in a jury trial and they lost. The NBA isn’t risking all that imo, they will pay WBD to let this go away. Now WBD might be petty enough to go through it, but they are in financial peril, so billions in a settlement would be a win for them.

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley
They fumbled in the exclusive window. But I think Barkley is correct that the league wanted out from the jump

I posted Ourand’s article this morning (before Barkley’s statement lol) with a full history of the TV rights negotiations. Even Disney wasn’t thrilled with how things broke down and they were didn’t lose as much as WBD did had they retained.

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
Barkley was gonna be paid 210 million over 10 years to talk shyt about the league he barely watched..

I see why he would be pissed....that was the easiest money being made in professional broadcasting.
Knowing he signed that deal, he was lying his ass off about retiring. Plus that quote talking about he "listening to offers" :dead:

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Barkley was gonna be paid 210 million over 10 years to talk shyt about the league he barely watched..

I see why he would be pissed....that was the easiest money being made in professional broadcasting.
Amazon will throw him a similar bag

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
This is the equivalent to your bytch saying when you goin ask me to marry you over the past like 5 years..

Yall break up or have a bad argument and think ehh. She goin come back..

Next thing u knw there's some next nikka..

Why wait? If you're TNT just be like damn.. aiight.. and pay the fukk up..

Acting like any network is worth more than sports is insane

And when they realized they were fukked they tried to match.. Nah heaux.. we out
Warner is in massive debt. They do not have the cash on hand.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
They fumbled in the exclusive window. But I think Barkley is correct that the league wanted out from the jump
I don’t doubt that - they wanted a streaming partner with reach (Netflix, Amazon, etc.). But TNT/WB being out of it was a result of them not thinking the NBA would get that NBC bag. Note they kept saying that NBC overpaid - NBC has their old package. The package Amazon has is basically brand new and is a result of the NBA wanting to expand further. The second NBC came through and ABC reupped - they were done.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
I am really hoping we can get to a new paradigm in nba coverage and get a bunch of empty blowhards out the paint.

IF I was the NBA and Silver I would be on the horn with all my broadcast partners and tell them slandering my product is a no fly zone
He basically said that on TV last year. He said he wanted NFL Live sort of NBA shows.