NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
The fact Amazon gave them 2.billy up front.. and WBD can't.. should mean yall can't match the offer..

I think there is another "tier" that can be created tho to maybe throw TNT a bone.. but they may not want Cavs V Hawks. Or Charlotte V Portland
I think their public attacks on the NBA deaded all that.

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It just a guess on my part (and what some media reporters believe). I don’t think NBA potentially wants a trial to slow down Amazon’s prep for their 1st season airing games. WBD I’m sure would be petty enough to want that.

Well in my opinion, it's the total opposite.
The media reports are stating it's going to be a war of iteration through litigation.

The fact the TNT has to take out a loan, tell us everything we need to know

NBA, Amazon...legally are damn near iron clad (top law firms, management consulting companies throughout each and every step)
TNT - It took less than 24 hours for Chuck to turn bad on TNT, lol + TNT is trying to push the public perception sympathy route. For anyone who's paying attention we know TNT is looking desperate

keond

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATLANTA
Well in my opinion, it's the total opposite.
The media reports are stating it's going to be a war of iteration through litigation.

The fact the TNT has to take out a loan, tell us everything we need to know

NBA, Amazon...legally are damn near iron clad (top law firms, management consulting companies throughout each and every step)
TNT - It took less than 24 hours for Chuck to turn bad on TNT, lol + TNT is trying to push the public perception sympathy route. For anyone who's paying attention we know TNT is looking desperate

Yea Amazon has thousands of lawyers, the NBA has a damn full team of lawyers. They know what they are doing. Hell Adam Silver is a lawyer. Its too many billions at stake for them just to be out here freestyling and opening themselves up for embarrassment. I have mentioned on here a few times that i got people that work for WBD here in Atlanta, things are way worse than they are letting on. They damn near had to sell CNN last year which is their crown jewel. At the very least they might split it off from the rest of WBD, they share a building but nothing else. They dont even speak or meet together.

Roger king

Superstar
Daps
I am really hoping we can get to a new paradigm in nba coverage and get a bunch of empty blowhards out the paint.

IF I was the NBA and Silver I would be on the horn with all my broadcast partners and tell them slandering my product is a no fly zone
I wanted to strongly concur with this, barkely is a blowhard and is bad for the league, he shouldnt be platformed for nba coveage when he primarily shyts on the league and criticizes it and the players, you dont see this similar level of stuff in the NFL and other sports, his whole shytck to me is played out

FukkaPaidEmail

Retired Hoodrat whisperer
Daps
Reppin
The Diaspora
Yall putting gas on this Barkley shyt .

All of the big NBA media names do an extremely poor job at putting the game in the best light . Barkley ,Stephen A Smith ,Skip,Perk,Gilbert all have done and said extremely goofy shyt . Even guys that were once legit like Zach Lowe and Givony (draft shyt) have fell off .

Y’all sit up and act like yall want NBA coverage to be 30 minutes of “Thinking Basketball” type coverage :mjlol: ..yall don’t even watch that shyt now . The Starters were doing non-controversial nba coverage and we called em corny .

I hope Guys like Teague,Kenny Beecham and Melo get a shot somewhere in the new landscape .

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Yall putting gas on this Barkley shyt .

All of the big NBA media names do an extremely poor job at putting the game in the best light . Barkley ,Stephen A Smith ,Skip,Perk,Gilbert all have done and said extremely goofy shyt . Even guys that were once legit like Zach Lowe and Givony (draft shyt) have fell off .

Y’all sit up and act like yall want NBA coverage to be 30 minutes of “Thinking Basketball” type coverage :mjlol: ..yall don’t even watch that shyt now . The Starters were doing non-controversial nba coverage and we called em corny .

I hope Guys like Teague,Kenny Beecham and Melo get a shot somewhere in the new landscape .

These dudes are full of shyt.... :mjlol: I can go get hundreds of posts from each of them talking up "Inside the NBA" now all of sudden it's trash... :russ:

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
I took a second to read the complaint and WB’s argument is basically that the contract allows for us match any form of distribution and that Amazon isn’t available anywhere that Max isn’t (that isn’t true) but they limit it to being able to be used on any advice. They further argue that there is no business reason for Amazon to strictly be putting the NBA on Prime Video (and not somewhere else like TV) and that they’re simply doing this to stop WB from matching.

That doesn’t make sense though - Amazon is a steaming only service. They also argue that the upfront payment is structured solely so that WB doesn’t match m, which the NBA can simply explain as the premium Amazon is willing to pay for the service.

Their best argument is that the NBA approved before giving them an opportunity to match but the NBA’s counter would be that they are a 30-member org and they had no duty to present a proposal that owners had not agreed to yet. Further, they had an exclusive negotiating window so they were privy to where the NBA was going. Last, the NBA will argue that while TNT had a right to match any offer - nowhere in the contract does it say that it means strictly money. And that Amazon provides them a global audience and that they will be distributing the NBA globally, which WB does not and cannot do.
There best argument is the approval process though. Them getting it approved prior to presenting it WB does give WB an argument the NBA wasn’t moving in good faith. Unless The NBA can show this was part of their normal business practices prior to this deal or a industry norm I think WB might win on that.

I don’t think the court will allow them to argue global customer base should be a factor. It might not have been said, but the very nature of a matching provision is usually based around cash, and maybe format. Factoring in reach in their argument lowkey shows gives a reason to argue that the NBA were not acting in good faith. They wanted to partner with more customers, not just an online portal. It looks like WB is arguing they can stream on their app and put the show on TV and that their service model is no different than Amazon except how plan to put more shows.

If WB wins they will be forced to play the NBA on MAX.