NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
Again your local team isn't going to be getting peacock blackouts 82 games a season and in exchange for that you get 5X the amount of essentially free basketball.. People are going to appreciate that... You're argument hinges on 10 out of 82 while ignoring the benefits of the deal it's silly
if you're just trying to watch your own team, you don't care about this.

You get less games of the team you really wanna see, you don't see a reduction in the fee you're paying your RSN despite less games, and now you gotta pay for extra streaming services to get to watch the rest of those games, but look on the bright side. You get more Suns vs. Nuggets games :thumbsup:

There are fans who wouldn't make that trade off, only now they don't have a choice, but that's the streaming world.

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
Again your team isn't going to be on Peacock for 82 games...you'll be able to watch your own team plenty
You get less games of the team you really wanna see, you don't see a reduction in the fee you're paying your RSN despite less games, and now you gotta pay for extra streaming services to get to watch the rest of those games, but look on the bright side. You get more Suns vs. Nuggets games :thumbsup:
I'd much rather have access to watch Nuggets Suns than game 75 of the Washington Wizards :mjlol: this ultra niche user profile that you're concocting to make this argument is just that...ultra niche... There's a reason your national TV games draw more interest than your random game 62 of Charlotte Hornets basketball...it's because generally speaking NBA fans are interested in them
There are fans who wouldn't make that trade off, only now they don't have a choice, but that's the streaming world.
For every one of these niche fans they'll be fans like myself who's team is absolutely garbage and are sputtering by Allstar break who want to watch an actual competent team play and because of this deal they'll now be allowed to without paying for cable or a streaming service

calh45

Cal
Daps
You have a very unique definition of good faith and I don’t think you’re seeing this through anything but wanting the NBA on TNT. Nothing you said is accurate or makes any business sense. And respectfully, you’re either struggling to understand what an exclusive negotiating window is or you’re purposefully misrepresenting facts.

You seem to think matching rights means that I have to continue to operate my business the exact same way that I did when the rights were established and that evolution means I did something wrong. You even went on some random tangent about declining ratings as if I’m supposed to not go get additional sources of revenue because of that. The very fact that ESPN paid more money and that NBC paid more money is evidence that Zaslav was wrong. But somehow you think “they were just thirsty” is somehow an argument or evidence of the NBA doing something wrong. I’m honestly just scratching my head but I guess their public pleas worked on you.

The NFL partners did not in anyway like Netflix coming in to get NFL Christmas games. The NBA literally allows games to be streamed on HBOMax when they could’ve said no. What are we talking about here? Bro, you’re not making any sense - like on any level.

If you're only looking at it from the standpoint of getting the most by any means then of course you think this is fine. If you think all of this being chopped up and split all over the place is a good look for a league with already declining regular season numbers then me and you have a different understanding of what business sense is. His primary responsibility is the health of the game. This ain't helping that in any way. I'm not stuck on TNT at all. It's just dumb to bring on a brand new partner with zero NBA experience and another partner who's been out of the NBA business for 20 years and planning to use it to force people to Peacock.......and the other partner (ESPN) everyone HATES their coverage.

This isn't a sunk costs just for fun scenario. The ratings aren't a tangent. You have a very warped perspective if you think they're not related. They have a direct correlation to ad revenue and a direct correlation to cross promote and market properties. Why do you think they're spending the money? If the boards of NBC and ESPN can't recoup do you think they're just going to shrug and let those CEOs keep sinking money into it?

The contracts are signed so the back and forth are useless now, but we'll all see the results in the next year or two. It won't take the full 11 to notice when they start cutting expenses because the numbers aren't working out.

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO

I don’t get your plight at all. if your Local team was on ESPN, TNT or NBAtv the same issue happens. NBC and ABC games are on free tv. So u might miss some Amazon games but don’t everyone got Amazon. It ain’t that big of a difference at all

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
Again your team isn't going to be on Peacock for 82 games...you'll be able to watch your own team plenty

I'd much rather have access to watch Nuggets Suns than game 75 of the Washington Wizards :mjlol: this ultra niche user profile that you're concocting to make this argument is just that...ultra niche... There's a reason your national TV games draw more interest than your random game 62 of Charlotte Hornets basketball...it's because generally speaking NBA fans are interested in them

For every one of these niche fans they'll be fans like myself who's team is absolutely garbage and are sputtering by Allstar break who want to watch an actual competent team play and because of this deal they'll now be allowed to without paying for cable or a streaming service

Bad teams are generally affected the least out of this. The Nets by the end of the March get bumped off the YES Network by the Yankees anyway.

But personally if you're in your team's local market, and you're paying the RSN or the basic sports package on cable, you should have the option to be able to watch your local team, whether on the RSN or over the air on a network like ABC, NBC, what have you. The national game isn't even the issue; the issue is when you can't watch it locally because it's exclusive to a streaming service you gotta pay extra for. A fan who wants the option to watch his team play locally is not a niche fan. Hell, these Peacock /Amazon will more than likely be really good games. The people who want to see that are even less niche. The fan who's watching Wizards/Bulls in April, THAT is the niche fan, but that fan is generally unaffected by this. The fan who figured Rockets vs. Sixers was gonna be on his RSN but now Peacock wants it, will now have to pay extra to see it.
I don’t get your plight at all. if your Local team was on ESPN, TNT or NBAtv the same issue happens. NBC and ABC games are on free tv. So u might miss some Amazon games but don’t everyone got Amazon. It ain’t that big of a difference at all
Not the Peacock /Amazon games. I'm not talking about the free network games.

and no. Sometimes even if the game was on ESPN or even TNT, the RSN would carry it with their announcers, at least that's how it is here. If the Knicks were on TNT the last couple of years, the Knicks would still air their coverage on MSG. That's part of why Dolan voted no to this media deal.

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
Bad teams are generally affected the least out of this. The Nets by the end of the March get bumped off the YES Network by the Yankees anyway.
So your use case is getting even more niche? :mjlol:
But personally if you're in your team's local market, and you're paying the RSN or the basic sports package on cable, you should have the option to be able to watch your local team, whether on the RSN or over the air on a network like ABC, NBC, what have you. The national game isn't even the issue; the issue is when you can't watch it locally because it's exclusive to a streaming service you gotta pay extra for. A fan who wants the option to watch his team play locally is not a niche fan.
A fan who would have a significant enough of a negative reaction for you to mention in this thread over getting 5X more free games is certainly a niche user and furthermore the fact that you already said that for many fans who teams suck their RSN cut their team broadcast anyways makes this whole argument even more niche than it already was
Hell, these Peacock /Amazon will more than likely be really good games.The people who want to see that are even less niche
Doubt it on the Peacock part the leagues whole priority on this deal was to exploit the larger reach of the broadcast networks ...doubt they regularly put marquee matchups and marquee names on a secondary platform...Regarding Amazon..it's even less of a concern considering how many people already have access to the platform...Prime is nearly ubiquitous
The fan who's watching Wizards/Bulls in April, THAT is the niche fan, but that fan is generally unaffected by this. The fan who figured Rockets vs. Sixers was gonna be on his RSN but now Peacock wants it, will now have to pay extra to see it.

Not the Peacock /Amazon games. I'm not talking about the free network games.
And while they may have to "suffer" through this scenario playing out for them a literal handful of times over an 82 game season they get free access to 5X the games they would have had to previously pay extra to see
and no. Sometimes even if the game was on ESPN or even TNT, the RSN would carry it with their announcers, at least that's how it is here. If the Knicks were on TNT the last couple of years, the Knicks would still air their coverage on MSG. That's part of why Dolan voted no to this media deal.
I don't give a fukk about James Dolan and his attention whoring

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
These people still don't understand that Peacock's reach is miniscule compared to even Max.. nevermind Netflix...

What's going to happen is people are going to continue to cut cords and are going to continue to slash the amount of streamers they pay for...

In a way, Zaslav is still going to make out on all of this. He's ridding debt and eventually will merge WBD with another media company. His payout will be insane.

All of the people who think Zaslav is going to "lose".. would love to be in his shoes :mjlol:
You're talking about personal, professionally he's completely fukked everything up. Would you trust him to run another media company?

Last edited:

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Before making its official announcement, the NBA sent TNT its reasons for rejecting the broadcasters’ matching proposal, according to sources briefed on the interactions between the league and the network. The NBA told TNT Sports it was rejecting its offer for three main reasons.

First, TNT wanted to put all of its games on its cable network and its streaming service, Max, whereas Amazon is just a streaming service. Second, the NBA believes Amazon’s reach is greater. Third, Amazon offered to pay in full its first three years, while Warner Bros. Discovery, which is in debt, provided a three-year line of credi
t.

@EzekelRAGE

Reach played a part in the first two bullet points.

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
As a fan I hate this deal
I’m not gonna concern myself with the money aspect. But since that’s all the league cares about I’m not even going to waste anymore of my time talking about this

gtj1982

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
America's Darkside--210
no, but the fact that they'd be on it for any amount of exclusive games means it's less games you can watch locally. It's basically another blackout (which is crazy considering a couple of teams were off cable entirely and were gonna air all their games over the air locally). That's gonna bother people, especially when the local markets charge an arm and a leg for their subscription services. If your team gets 10 games over the course of the season on Peacock /Amazon, they're likely not gonna be simulcast on your RSN. In essence, it's telling that fan their bill went up $20 a month.

If they wind up following the MLB model, it's gonna drive people nuts. I've accepted that it's just gonna be that way and it'll only get worse, but soon enough it's gonna be where if you don't have a smart TV with all the paid subscriptions, you don't have a TV at all.

Who’s this fan that watches all 82 games of their team each season. I think if they are that obsessed with their team, signing up for a free trial of peacock a few times a year isn’t that big of a hurdle.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
That released statement is so Zaslav and Discovery. fukking dumb ass, uncouth clowns :mjlol: Rest in piss.

Feel bad though for the very talented people whose careers will be affected by this fumble by leadership. Hope they get outta there soon
How is it "so Zaslav and Discovery", have they done something like this before?