NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics

OF COURSE YOU MATCH
THE AMAZON DEAL OVER
THE NBC DEAL.

THEY GOT THE SWEETEST DEAL
FOR THAT PRICE.

:devil:
:evil:

People close to the NBA were trying to say WBD "can't" try to match that deal, while WBD is reportedly saying that they have matching rights on any deal...

shyts been going around in circles for a while now... Hard to say who is right without the specific language of the contracts for public view

Scientific

Bacdafucup
Daps
Reppin
The H
I think they’re overpaying TBH. But then again, I don’t know what the current deal was and what the US Open’s deal is (or Wimbledon). The fact that NBC let it go to me is a sign that they don’t think the French is as big of a draw without Rafa. I feel like they will bid on the US Open.
As someone with no cable growing up, NBC was the only life saver to view sports (Playoff baseball, football, Wimbledon, NBA). There's a niche here if they're smart. Live Sports is the only draw to television, and their broadcasting has always been top tier.

Avisible Man

S/N: 52093850
Daps
This shyt goin to the lawyers

@RennisDeynolds Quick, get the Jew Lawyer on the horn, stat :damn:

6549bbe6-0dc8-4754-822d-e2f2ce56e56d_text.gif

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Chuck is on ABC with the NHL Crew talking about the game.

I know sometimes the NBA & NHL guys on TNT go on each others show, but the game tonight is on ABC/ESPN.

I can’t recall ever seeing him on espn while still being employed with TNT.

They’re asking him if he’s the newest member of the NBA on ESPN crew & he keeps changing the subject :russ:
Chuck was on ESPN during the Stanley Cup Finals in 2022 too. Last year he was on TNT when they had the Finals.

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
I think they’re overpaying TBH. But then again, I don’t know what the current deal was and what the US Open’s deal is (or Wimbledon). The fact that NBC let it go to me is a sign that they don’t think the French is as big of a draw without Rafa. I feel like they will bid on the US Open.
NBC was only paying $12M per year for the French Open.

WBD coming in with a $65M per year offer was clearly not getting matches. :damn:

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley
WBD matches the Amazon deal.

Adam Silver draws up a 4th package for Amazon to deal with the RSN crisis :wow:

@K-Apps

It’s gonna be interesting how this matching rights issue plays out. NBA definitely wants Amazon as a media partner and definitely as the C package. So we will see how the language and the overall package is about. I’m not sure a 4th package is happening either way. I don’t see NBC/ESPN/C winner giving up playoff inventory like that.

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley
Simmons is saying they don't want to share the conference finals?

I’m guessing (idk all these media outlets are reporting/speculating different aspects of the packages to know :manny: ) that B and C Packages are sharing a conference final each year. Up until the current TV deal for example, the NHL’s SCF was split between two games on cable (ESPN/OLN/VS/NBCSN) and the rest on OTA (ABC/NBC). So it might be that Amazon gets 2 conference finals games a year and NBC or TNT get the rest. I’m guessing Zaslav didn’t want that and NBC is willing to share to get the rights. We won’t know the full deal until it’s announced

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
I’m guessing (idk all these media outlets are reporting/speculating different aspects of the packages to know :manny: ) that B and C Packages are sharing a conference final each year. Up until the current TV deal for example, the NHL’s SCF was split between two games on cable (ESPN/OLN/VS/NBCSN) and the rest on OTA (ABC/NBC). So it might be that Amazon gets 2 conference finals games a year and NBC or TNT get the rest. I’m guessing Zaslav didn’t want that and NBC is willing to share to get the rights. We won’t know the full deal until it’s announced

So it goes from that

to the $200M gap that WBD didn't want to pay (they value the NBA at $2.1B per year vs. the NBA asking for $2.3B during the exclusive negotiating window)

to leaks from WBD persumably talking about a 4th package

I think we may get some surprises. When the NHL was doing their deal, WBD kind of came out of nowhere for the 'B' package when everyone thought FOX would come in or that NBC would keep it but pay more to broadcast less games..

charknicks

All Star
Daps
NBC was only paying $12M per year for the French Open.

WBD coming in with a $65M per year offer was clearly not getting matches. :damn:

No, I dont think that anyone was going to match up to $65M/year for the French Open. But to be fair, NBC was only airing the championship matches, the semifinals, and the 1st round. All the other matches have been on the Tennis Channel.

WBD/TNT will probably have wall to wall coverage on Max, and some matches on TNT/TBS/Tru TV for over the air, so it doesnt make the deal as bad. They will show most, if not all of the tournament now. The same way ESPN does with Wimbledon/US Open/Aust. Open. Its 2 weeks of decent summer content that has never had great coverage in the US.