NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley

Basically a 4th package would be taking games from local RSNs and would be blacked out locally like their MLB on TBS Tuesday Night package and playoff inventory would likely be minimal at best if any. Basically I see it as a courtesy offer that WBD might take if they that desperate to keep the NBA.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
NBA views gonna drop for the first few years because we are creatures of habit

Whoever can pay Shaq Chuck Kenny and Earnie will be King
Nobody turns on NBA games for Inside the NBA b.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
What do you mean with a lot?

There's like 8 relevant players per sex.

NBA teams of this 76 billion get 200m per year for 10 months, this is 65m where a majority goes to those 16 players for 2 weeks.
Completely different structure.

What is much money or not is the return on invested capital.
I think they’re overpaying TBH. But then again, I don’t know what the current deal was and what the US Open’s deal is (or Wimbledon). The fact that NBC let it go to me is a sign that they don’t think the French is as big of a draw without Rafa. I feel like they will bid on the US Open.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC

Basically a 4th package would be taking games from local RSNs and would be blacked out locally like their MLB on TBS Tuesday Night package and playoff inventory would likely be minimal at best if any. Basically I see it as a courtesy offer that WBD might take if they that desperate to keep the NBA.

NBATV itself airs 100 games a year. Many are direct airs from the RSNs. Others are WBD produced with “Open Court”.

Putting half those on TNT on Thursdays or Friday isnt a big lift.

The postseason thing is the issue

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley

Warner Bros. Discovery is attempting a fourth-quarter comeback in its bid to keep NBA TV rights.

Why it matters: Losing the NBA would be an existential threat for TNT and could cost the network millions in carriage fees.

State of play: The NBA is closing in on 11-year deals with Disney, Amazon and Comcast, according to two sources with knowledge of the discussions, that are reportedly worth $76 billion.

• While those deals are close to an agreement, no contracts have been signed yet, sources say, and any announcement isn't expected until after the NBA Finals (currently headed to Game 3 in a best-of-seven series).
Zoom in: WBD continues to negotiate with the NBA, with talks centered around a smaller TV package than it's had in the past, according to the sources.

• The WBD package could include some playoff games and take local games from regional sports networks, according to Puck.
The big picture: Many pro and collegiate leagues have expanded their media partnerships as tech giants like Amazon, YouTube and Apple descend onto the scene with huge wads of cash.

• The NFL has added Amazon and YouTube as rights partners and will air Christmas Day games on Netflix this coming season. MLB has done deals with Apple and Roku.
Between the lines: If it can't get its own deal, WBD CEO David Zaslav has publicly touted WBD's ability to match a deal the NBA reaches with any newcomers.

• WBD would likely try to match Amazon's deal, one source said. Amazon is paying $1.8 billion a year, while Comcast has committed $2.5 billion annually, per reports.
  • Once the NBA presents WBD with contracts from Comcast and Amazon, WBD would have five days to exercise those matching rights, one of the sources said. WBD's matching rights do not apply to Disney, an incumbent

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Chuck is on ABC with the NHL Crew talking about the game.

I know sometimes the NBA & NHL guys on TNT go on each others show, but the game tonight is on ABC/ESPN.

I can’t recall ever seeing him on espn while still being employed with TNT.

They’re asking him if he’s the newest member of the NBA on ESPN crew & he keeps changing the subject :russ:

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
Chuck is on ABC with the NHL Crew talking about the game.

I know sometimes the NBA & NHL guys on TNT go on each others show, but the game tonight is on ABC/ESPN.

I can’t recall ever seeing him on espn while still being employed with TNT.

They’re asking him if he’s the newest member of the NBA on ESPN crew & he keeps changing the subject :russ:
I also forgot he took shots at SAS before about ESPN checks being small and working ppl like a dog :mjlol:

Kenny: "You go to sleep, you see them guys, you wake up and you see the same guys" :dead: