NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps

Question, did this guy not read the article on the 4th pacakage? IIRC the 4th package came from local games that werent in any packages to begin with, from local markets and NBATV games. So it wouldnt be from the other 3 packages. Least that was my understanding from skimming a few paragraphs in the article :yeshrug:

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley
Question, did this guy not read the article on the 4th pacakage? IIRC the 4th package came from local games that werent in any packages to begin with, from local markets and NBATV games. So it wouldnt be from the other 3 packages. Least that was my understanding from skimming a few paragraphs in the article :yeshrug:

I think he is talking about the playoffs. That’s where a lot of the value of these media rights deal come into play and the likely 3 partners aren’t giving up playoff inventory to help WBD.

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
I think he is talking about the playoffs. That’s where a lot of the value of these media rights deal come into play and the likely 3 partners aren’t giving up playoff inventory to help WBD.
Apparently they would get the playoff games from NBATV as well :yeshrug:

WHAT WE HAVE TO REMEMBER IS
NBATV SHOWS A HUNDRED
NATIONAL TV GAMES PER SEASON.

THEY EVEN SHOW PLAYOFF GAMES...

THOSE GAMES HAVE
TO GO SOME WHERE RIGHT?

TURNER ALREADY RUNS NBATV.

IT WOULD MAKE THE MOST SINCE
TO GIVE THOSE GAMES TO WB.
:devil:
:evil:

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
He just responded to me :mjlol:

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
He just responded to me :mjlol:

So yea, sounds like he just didnt read the article because it's based on those local games at a cheaper price. Yes paying 2.3B for trash games is a bad look. But that looks better in a 4th package at a cheaper price and you may have no other options as WBD.

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown

Could TNT return to the NFL business?

At press time, TNT was hanging on to its 40-year NBA relationship by a thin, thin thread. The league has effectively tabled negotiations until the end of the 2024 NBA Finals. But one of the most fascinating subplots from the latest breakdown in Paramount Global sales talks, is the possibility that CBS’s owner could again seek a merger with TNT owner Warner Bros. Discovery. CBS owns TV rights to the NFL—the ultimate TV beachfront property—through ’33 at a price of $2 billion per year. Don’t forget, the former Turner Sports showed NFL games on Sunday nights from 1990–97, splitting the package with ESPN. One of the main goals of legendary former Turner boss David Levy was always to win back NFL TV rights. Yes, it would be the bank shot of bank shots. CBS would have to agree to share some rights with TNT (the two networks already partner for NCAA March Madness). The league would have to approve. CBS and TNT would have to solve affiliate concerns, etc. But never say never, especially with more networks teaming up to slash costs.

Bob Thomson, the former Fox executive, told me: “I don’t know that the CBS/NFL agreement would allow for games to be shifted to cable, but I could certainly see alt-casts, simulcasts, etc. Especially when CBS has a big, mostly nationally distributed, game.”

Sports media consultant Joe Favorito sees a possible lane here, too. “I think that the sublicensing to partners, especially when viewers are needed in large platforms to satisfy brand spends, should be common-sensical if that occurs,” he said. “As long as the consumer knows where to find the game—and the NFL does a better job than anyone at cross-promoting, and WBD has been innovators at creating unique viewing experiences—why would the NFL NOT want that to happen. Everyone wins.”

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
So yea, sounds like he just didnt read the article because it's based on those local games at a cheaper price. Yes paying 2.3B for trash games is a bad look. But that looks better in a 4th package at a cheaper price and you may have no other options as WBD.
You’re still going to pay a steep price, I don’t know why you nikkas believe they would get some sort of bargain basement price for NBA product.:mjlol: