MoviePass: It's Back (Different tiers, use at any participating theaters)

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
I doubt this would work again. I was in at the early stages and it was the best shyt ever. This is one of those things that shouldve been kept lowkey. After this fell i did the cinemark joint and that shyt was terrible but movie pass left me fiending.

will AMC and alamo keep their movie subscription services?

:sadcam:

No doubt. Before the pandemic AMC were about to profit from A-List and all of the other improvements and upgrades they made. For $20 a month, I was at the movies almost every weekend, and buying popcorn and a drink. Even if it was small. They would be crazy to not keep it.

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No doubt. Before the pandemic AMC were about to profit from A-List and all of the other improvements and upgrades they made. For $20 a month, I was at the movies almost every weekend, and buying popcorn and a drink. Even if it was small. They would be crazy to not keep it.

The nearest AMCs near me were bay plaza or the palisades mall so i never jumped on that just had the alamo season pass and i was coppin a drink or food every time i went so i guess thats the come up for them

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
As I sit here bout to pay damn bear $20 to see Spider-Man at the matinee. Another grip later when I take my son. Another grip when I want to see matrix.

I think of movie pass. nikkas was EATING!!! Unlimited movies a month for 9.99. I was seeing movies for absolutely no reason. Didn’t even want to see them shyts but oh well. It’s free now. They tried to put a block on certain movies and times. Nope. Get a ticket and exchange it in an instant. Till we realized you can just use the card on any movie no matter what you pick. shyt went away. Came back. It was beautiful.

Then these punk ass theaters started hating for no reason. They was getting full price so why they care? Just had to come with these janky ass $20 and 3 movies only bullshyt. Only to quietly ignore and stop promoting that the second movie pass went down. Then jacked the prices up even more.

Man fukk them.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
As I sit here bout to pay damn bear $20 to see Spider-Man at the matinee. Another grip later when I take my son. Another grip when I want to see matrix.

I think of movie pass. nikkas was EATING!!! Unlimited movies a month for 9.99. I was seeing movies for absolutely no reason. Didn’t even want to see them shyts but oh well. It’s free now. They tried to put a block on certain movies and times. Nope. Get a ticket and exchange it in an instant. Till we realized you can just use the card on any movie no matter what you pick. shyt went away. Came back. It was beautiful.

Then these punk ass theaters started hating for no reason. They was getting full price so why they care? Just had to come with these janky ass $20 and 3 movies only bullshyt. Only to quietly ignore and stop promoting that the second movie pass went down. Then jacked the prices up even more.

Man fukk them.

AMC's sub service ain't bad, if you have AMC's around your way, i highly recommend it.

Ed MOTHEREFFING G

Chances make champions
Daps
Reppin
206 x 734
It wasn't a bad business model had they gotten cooperation from the theaters. Going without that it was worthless to even try though.
What is the path to profitability for the company or for theaters if they got this imaginary cooperation

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
What is the path to profitability for the company or for theaters if they got this imaginary cooperation
It's basically the Planet Fitness model of getting a lot of people to sign up to a subscription service where the majority don't use the service enough to hurt you. Sure some people would be movie warriors and go every weekend but you're gonna get more that sub and go once or twice a month. If your cost is say $4 per trip for them then you can still have some type of margin. Either that or work out a deal where you get a percentage of the concessions for them. From there they collect data on them and sell that data to advertisers. Also I would limit to one movie per week not anytime anyplace.

Instead they went in winging it with no path to profitability. Price should have been maybe $15 a month or even $20 but $15 minimum. Of course we now know COVID would have ended the business anyway more than likely.

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
It's basically the Planet Fitness model of getting a lot of people to sign up to a subscription service where the majority don't use the service enough to hurt you. Sure some people would be movie warriors and go every weekend but you're gonna get more that sub and go once or twice a month. If your cost is say $4 per trip for them then you can still have some type of margin. Either that or work out a deal where you get a percentage of the concessions for them. From there they collect data on them and sell that data to advertisers. Also I would limit to one movie per week not anytime anyplace.

Instead they went in winging it with no path to profitability. Price should have been maybe $15 a month or even $20 but $15 minimum. Of course we now know COVID would have ended the business anyway more than likely.
I believe the calculus is off here in that it takes physical effort to go to and use a Planet Fitness. Thus less people will use their Planet Fitness account than MoviePass, all things considered… And there’s the psychological effect of ending a Planet Fitness account…many people will feel that they are a failure by doing so. Folks could end their Movie Pass account if they are not using it without the feeling of being a failure.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I believe the calculus is off here in that it takes physical effort to go to and use a Planet Fitness. Thus less people will use their Planet Fitness account than MoviePass, all things considered… And there’s the psychological effect of ending a Planet Fitness account…many people will feel that they are a failure by doing so. Folks could end their Movie Pass account if they are not using it without the feeling of being a failure.
It takes more effort and time to go to the movies. I can hit up a gym and be in and out in 30-40 minutes. Going to the movies usually requires a larger chunk than that. About 2-3 hours depending. If you go to the movies once or twice a month a $15 charge is advantageous to you unless you are frugal and only catch matinee showings so why would you cancel? Around here a regular adult ticket is between $9-$11. Two tickets a month and you're more than the $15 suggestion I came up with. Now if Movie Pass could have controlled ticket cost and bought those tickets for $4 each they'd profit.

The thing about Planet Fitness is they set the price so low that your intention to use the service and the alternative price of other services means it's easy to just keep paying it.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)

Man fukk them.

man 2018 was a glorious time :blessed: I was seeing at least 2 movies a week back then.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
:dahell: where you live?

im next to 4 AMC movie theaters all within a 8 mile radius

20 miles?
30 mins from the capital of Virginia. We have lots of movie theaters. Not a lot of amc’s

man 2018 was a glorious time :blessed: I was seeing at least 2 movies a week back then.
And that was when movies was hitting every week. Bro I was in there seeing shyt I cared nothing about.

“Well I got a few hours to kill. Guess I’ll see what’s playing”

Thinking about it, made me go look it up. And to see why in the hell theaters who got full price, was so against it.

The plan was a mix of plans actually. They had a few options. But all needed millions of subscribers. Let’s just pretend they got to 10 million right. Triple what they did at the highest.

Ok now I step to theaters. “Look breh. I got 10 million faithful over here, going to 150 different theater chains. Knock your shyt off half price or a third, and we’ll give you 10 million customers who won’t go to your competition.”

Second one… I step to advertisers. “Look breh. I got 10 millions faithful over here, in 50 states, and all economic backgrounds. Give us $50 million dollars a year and you have exclusive advertising rights on our page, the credit card, any mailings we do and we’ll give you access to send out promo items to their email.”

Last one they tried to hide… step to data hubs and miners. “Look breh. I got consumer info of 10 million subscribers and I’ll sell all the data to you for 30 million plus 2 million a year for each year continuing.”

None of this happened. The movie theaters just said “ok well fukk 10 million people. We’ll be happy to cut you out, get 2 million people and you won’t be around to go to our competition anyway.”

There was literally zero reason for the theater industry to do this. They lost nothing and actually gained more people seeing 5 movies a week at cost. And deaded it anyway. Then cut into their own profits to give you their version of it, which loses them money too.