MoviePass: It's Back (Different tiers, use at any participating theaters)

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
So again...what is the path to profitability for moviepass?
I told you the theoretical path. Cutting a deal with theaters to get discounts on tickets. Selling data. In reality there was no path as we all saw. Movie Pass thought they could float the business until they built up some leverage against theaters by devaluing the product to end users. People get used to paying $9.99 a month and won't want to go back to paying that or more for individual tickets. At that point they thought they could negotiate a deal with theater chains.

The reality is Movie Pass could never build that leverage losing as much per customer as they were. It was a completely dumb idea to try.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
So again...what is the path to profitability for moviepass?
Scroll up.. I posted what they said was their path... Ultimately I wasn't speaking on their path.. I was speaking on the movie theaters working to end their path, when their path was netting them way more money than their own programs they copied

Ed MOTHEREFFING G

Chances make champions
Daps
Reppin
206 x 734
I told you the theoretical path. Cutting a deal with theaters to get discounts on tickets. Selling data. In reality there was no path as we all saw. Movie Pass thought they could float the business until they built up some leverage against theaters by devaluing the product to end users. People get used to paying $9.99 a month and won't want to go back to paying that or more for individual tickets. At that point they thought they could negotiate a deal with theater chains.

The reality is Movie Pass could never build that leverage losing as much per customer as they were. It was a completely dumb idea to try.

Scroll up.. I posted what they said was their path... Ultimately I wasn't speaking on their path.. I was speaking on the movie theaters working to end their path, when their path was netting them way more money than their own programs they copied

Alright so here is why there is no path to profitability

First, to your point winb, there is no point in amc cutting a deal with a company to middle man purchases to their own theater. There is no inherent value add. The data you're mentioning isn't as valuable as you think since AMC and regal already have access to data of their customers, and have no interest in sharing their data with their competitors. Secondly, why would AMC create neutrality with their competitors by entering an agreement with moviepass in the manner you mentioned knowing regal is or would too? It makes the *industry* consumer price of going to films 9.99/mo vs $15 a film. It undercuts the entire industry and I have no idea why they would cut a deal with a third party to do so.

In 2003, tower records wouldnt enter a subscription service agreement with apple so someone could get unlimited CDs for $9.99/mo (ignore the streaming and physical/digital argument for that example).

There is functionally no way this company can make money. The only way is if theaters cut off their own feet so that company can walk which is absurd.

Now,

The REAL movie pass should be an agreement with specific film studios, streaming platforms, and theater chains for all in one film services. If AMC + Disney made an agreement where for 10.99/mo you could get Disney plus, tickets to Disney movies at AMC, and either same day or short window access on those new movies on plus, that is vertical integration that would be beneficial for all parties.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
First, to your point winb, there is no point in amc cutting a deal with a company to middle man purchases to their own theater. There is no inherent value add. The data you're mentioning isn't as valuable as you think since AMC and regal already have access to data of their customers, and have no interest in sharing their data with their competitors. Secondly, why would AMC create neutrality with their competitors by entering an agreement with moviepass in the manner you mentioned knowing regal is or would too? It makes the *industry* consumer price of going to films 9.99/mo vs $15 a film. It undercuts the entire industry and I have no idea why they would cut a deal with a third party to do so..
That's why I said there wasn't a path for Movie Pass. The theaters saw the business model. They saw the value in it and executed it on their own. Movie Pass never had leverage and could never get leverage to get them to the negotiating table. Their entire business model was them re-selling someone else's product. That in and of itself is fine as long as you're buying the product lower than you're selling and you aren't competing against the person you're buying from. Movie Pass broke both those with no real idea how to stop it.

Ed MOTHEREFFING G

Chances make champions
Daps
Reppin
206 x 734
MoviePass will track people’s eyes through their phone to make sure they see ads

:laff:
anigif_sub-buzz-1185-1637271148-5.gif

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
You're ignoring the fact that movie pass doesn't "have" 10 million imaginary subscribers...those subscribers are already going to the movies. In fact they're going so often they're willing to pay for a service rather than as a one off. They're not presenting a new opportunity, they're presenting a way to make captive movie goers actually more laissez faire about when to see a movie because they're effectively eroding the value of going to see a movie. 9.99/mo vs 12.50 a viewing (sounds familiar?)

And @winb83 the take that it takes less effort to go to the movies than to go to planet fitness is pretty ludicrous...in one case you're sitting for 3 hours and the other you're not unless you suck at working out.

I slightly disagree here. These deals are usually scaled to get people to spend slightly more than they normally would to see more movies than they do. I'm sure they collected the stats to know where to set the price point and movies/week. There might be some deal on concessions too?

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Alright so here is why there is no path to profitability

First, to your point winb, there is no point in amc cutting a deal with a company to middle man purchases to their own theater. There is no inherent value add. The data you're mentioning isn't as valuable as you think since AMC and regal already have access to data of their customers, and have no interest in sharing their data with their competitors. Secondly, why would AMC create neutrality with their competitors by entering an agreement with moviepass in the manner you mentioned knowing regal is or would too? It makes the *industry* consumer price of going to films 9.99/mo vs $15 a film. It undercuts the entire industry and I have no idea why they would cut a deal with a third party to do so.

In 2003, tower records wouldnt enter a subscription service agreement with apple so someone could get unlimited CDs for $9.99/mo (ignore the streaming and physical/digital argument for that example).

There is functionally no way this company can make money. The only way is if theaters cut off their own feet so that company can walk which is absurd.

Now,

The REAL movie pass should be an agreement with specific film studios, streaming platforms, and theater chains for all in one film services. If AMC + Disney made an agreement where for 10.99/mo you could get Disney plus, tickets to Disney movies at AMC, and either same day or short window access on those new movies on plus, that is vertical integration that would be beneficial for all parties.
That's why I said there wasn't a path for Movie Pass. The theaters saw the business model. They saw the value in it and executed it on their own. Movie Pass never had leverage and could never get leverage to get them to the negotiating table. Their entire business model was them re-selling someone else's product. That in and of itself is fine as long as you're buying the product lower than you're selling and you aren't competing against the person you're buying from. Movie Pass broke both those with no real idea how to stop it.
I never came back to this... But I think y'all are arguing what you think, I THINK, they wanted to do...

The article I posted was Movie Pass actually telling you what their plan was. So the things I said, was because that's what they said. They were basically trying to be Facebook. Collect data on people through the app. Not just movies. But locations, what else they buy, what other stores are close by.

They wanted to get to a point where you go see a movie at 3pm, and the app is giving you advertising for lunch at 12, right across from there. You say nah and at 1pm, it's telling you about filling up on some gas right by your house. It's after the movie and it advertises another restaurant in case you're hungry... Or The Gap to pick up some kid's clothes cause you just watched some Disney shyt. Or a costume for Halloween with the characters... OR...................... And then when you're also not buying tickets, it advertises the theater too...

But it was all about data collection and then selling that data as an advertiser. I know it didn't work.. Obviously we wouldn't be in here if it did. But it wasn't MY plan. And their plan wasn't to just get the theaters to cut a deal.. It was to get everyone around the theater to want that money, from people who would be in their area an unlimited amount of times that month AND had money that they saved by not paying for movies

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
cool to hear the homie bought it back...but it's over no relaunch can compare to the sub services now, even shytty ass Cinemark's (that'd be its closest competition)

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
MoviePass to relaunch on Labor Day in beta form with pricing ranging from $10-$30 a month

• MoviePass will relaunch in beta form on Labor Day.
  • The only way to use the service is to sign up on a waitlist beginning Thursday.
  • The first users who come off the waitlist can choose among 3 pricing tiers: $10, $20, or $30 per month.

By clicking ‘Sign up’, you agree to receive marketing emails from Insider as well as other partner offers and accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
MoviePass, the movie theater ticket subscription startup that had a meteoric rise and fall, will relaunch in beta form on Labor Day, Insider can exclusively report.
Insider reported last November that MoviePass cofounder Stacy Spikes had bought the company back after its parent company, Helios and Matheson Analytics (HMNY), went bankrupt. Since then Spikes and his team have been diligently working on a relaunch of the popular service.

MoviePass cofounder Stacy Spikes. J. Countess/GettyBeginning at 9 a.m. ET on Thursday, a waitlist will open on moviepass.com for those wishing to join the beta version.
The waitlist will be open for five days on a first come, first served basis. It will be free to sign up with MoviePass — all that's required is an email address and zip code. Once the waitlist closes, the initial group of beta users will be notified on Labor Day (September 5) and will be offered three price tiers to choose from.
Prices will vary depending on the user's home market, but general pricing will be $10, $20, or $30 a month. Each subscription option will give the user a number of credits to use each month to see movies. There won't be an unlimited option during the beta version.
Users who make the cut for the beta will also be given 10 friend invites to use MoviePass.
According to MoviePass, the service has partnerships with 25% of theaters in the US. Users of the beta version will be able to order movie tickets through the app or can wait for their MoviePass card to come in the mail and use that at any theater box office that accepts MasterCard.
The card will be black, as MoviePass is scrapping its previous red branding. Insider was given an exclusive first look at what the card will look like:

MoviePass has a new look with a black card. MoviePass
Spikes founded MoviePass with Hamet Watt in 2011, creating a service that let moviegoers see a certain number of movies each month in theaters for a monthly fee. After struggling to stay afloat for years, the company in 2017 was bought by HMNY.
Under the leadership of HMNY CEO Ted Farnsworth and new MoviePass CEO Mitch Lowe, the company launched a $10 a month subscription price to see a movie a day. Within two days, subscriptions went from 20,000 to 100,000. In less than a year, MoviePass had over 3 million subscribers.
With Farnsworth and Lowe at the helm, MoviePass blew through hundreds of millions of dollars, and Spikes — who said he'd raised concerns internally about the sustainability of the $10 price point — was fired in 2018.

Former MoviePass CEO Mitch Lowe, left, and former Helios and Matheson Analytics CEO Ted Farnsworth. Getty / Dave Kotinsky / StringerHMNY was delisted from the Nasdaq in 2019 and both MoviePass and HMNY filed for bankruptcy in 2020. At the time of MoviePass' bankruptcy filing, the company said it was under pending investigations by the FTC, SEC, four California district attorneys, and the New York attorney general.
This June, Farnsworth and Lowe settled with the FTC and reached a $400,000 settlement with the California district attorneys.
Mark Wahlberg's non-fiction production company Unrealistic Ideas is currently developing a documentary on the rise and fall of MoviePass based on award-winning reporting by Insider.