MoviePass: It's Back (Different tiers, use at any participating theaters)

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Thinking about it, made me go look it up. And to see why in the hell theaters who got full price, was so against it.
It devalued their product. It's like how Spotify devalued music and now people don't really want to buy albums anymore. They'd rather just pay $9.99 to Spotify every month.

Once people get used to that value you can never go back.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
i remember they were also going to try and leverage restaurants around your theater as something to incentivize both parties

least Moviepass weren't like bytchass sinemia

them fukkers started asking you to take a pic with your ID and fukking up your account cause they felt like it

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
It devalued their product. It's like how Spotify devalued music and now people don't really want to buy albums anymore. They'd rather just pay $9.99 to Spotify every month.

Once people get used to that value you can never go back.
That doesn’t make any sense though. Record companies sold cds for 17.99 and spotify is 9.99 a month. So a person who wanted 50 cds, would definitely get them cheaper on Spotify and the record company would make less

A movie costs 17.99 to see and the theater gets 17.99. If a movie pass guy wants to pay 9.99 and see 50 movies, the movie theater would make 50 x 17.99 and not lose a single penny. If someone said oh 17 is too high, I’ll just get MP, the theater still gets 17.99 and doesn’t lose a single penny.

Now if you’re gonna say people would demand the movie go down to 9.99…. I highly doubt it. We ain’t been doing it and an imax almost 25 now. They put themselves on devaluing it with amc pass and regal being $20 instead of $10.. and double when they don’t pay themselves the 17.99 back cause it’s all in house. So they losing again. They are literally losing money to keep the appearances up that they didn’t do this for greed

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
i remember they were also going to try and leverage restaurants around your theater as something to incentivize both parties

least Moviepass weren't like bytchass sinemia

them fukkers started asking you to take a pic with your ID and fukking up your account cause they felt like it
To be fair MP did the same after the black guy sold it. The FTC is on them still about that. If you watched a lot of movies, they had their programming team set up with 3 ways to “cancel” your account or shadowban you long enough for the next month

KevCo

Bond's gun spoke once....
Daps
Reppin
The Weird Side
I’ve been using Regal Unlimited since it launched and have no complaints
I pay $22 a month and that gets you unlimited 2D movies, 10% discount on refreshments
I pay ~$6 extra for iMAX
Only restrictions are max 3 reservations at one time
Thank you MoviePass:mjcry:
I just got on this in oct when I calculated all the movies i was gonna see from oct-summer and its already paying fir itself. Im bout to see spiderman for the third time…just because why not?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
That doesn’t make any sense though. Record companies sold cds for 17.99 and spotify is 9.99 a month. So a person who wanted 50 cds, would definitely get them cheaper on Spotify and the record company would make less

A movie costs 17.99 to see and the theater gets 17.99. If a movie pass guy wants to pay 9.99 and see 50 movies, the movie theater would make 50 x 17.99 and not lose a single penny. If someone said oh 17 is too high, I’ll just get MP, the theater still gets 17.99 and doesn’t lose a single penny.

Now if you’re gonna say people would demand the movie go down to 9.99…. I highly doubt it. We ain’t been doing it and an imax almost 25 now. They put themselves on devaluing it with amc pass and regal being $20 instead of $10.. and double when they don’t pay themselves the 17.99 back cause it’s all in house. So they losing again. They are literally losing money to keep the appearances up that they didn’t do this for greed
The RIAA didn't accept music streaming until the business of selling albums was so impacted by piracy that they didn't have a choice.

The movie theaters was against Movie Pass because it was all you can see movies for $9.99. If they got people paying $10+ a pop for tickets why the hell they want them paying $9.99 for all they can see? Even if Movie Pass was paying them full price for the tickets it still was working to devalue the perceived value of a movie ticket. Really though they realized that if they made a Movie Pass like service for double the price they could control the cost and profit. It works for them because it keeps people at their theaters and those people spend money on concessions.

In the end it just lends itself to what I said. The Movie Pass business model wasn't wrong if the cost of movies could be controlled. Who better to control that cost than the theater themselves. Why let some third party do it?

Ed MOTHEREFFING G

Chances make champions
Daps
Reppin
206 x 734
30 mins from the capital of Virginia. We have lots of movie theaters. Not a lot of amc’s

And that was when movies was hitting every week. Bro I was in there seeing shyt I cared nothing about.

“Well I got a few hours to kill. Guess I’ll see what’s playing”

Thinking about it, made me go look it up. And to see why in the hell theaters who got full price, was so against it.

The plan was a mix of plans actually. They had a few options. But all needed millions of subscribers. Let’s just pretend they got to 10 million right. Triple what they did at the highest.

Ok now I step to theaters. “Look breh. I got 10 million faithful over here, going to 150 different theater chains. Knock your shyt off half price or a third, and we’ll give you 10 million customers who won’t go to your competition.”

Second one… I step to advertisers. “Look breh. I got 10 millions faithful over here, in 50 states, and all economic backgrounds. Give us $50 million dollars a year and you have exclusive advertising rights on our page, the credit card, any mailings we do and we’ll give you access to send out promo items to their email.”

Last one they tried to hide… step to data hubs and miners. “Look breh. I got consumer info of 10 million subscribers and I’ll sell all the data to you for 30 million plus 2 million a year for each year continuing.”

None of this happened. The movie theaters just said “ok well fukk 10 million people. We’ll be happy to cut you out, get 2 million people and you won’t be around to go to our competition anyway.”

There was literally zero reason for the theater industry to do this. They lost nothing and actually gained more people seeing 5 movies a week at cost. And deaded it anyway. Then cut into their own profits to give you their version of it, which loses them money too.
You're ignoring the fact that movie pass doesn't "have" 10 million imaginary subscribers...those subscribers are already going to the movies. In fact they're going so often they're willing to pay for a service rather than as a one off. They're not presenting a new opportunity, they're presenting a way to make captive movie goers actually more laissez faire about when to see a movie because they're effectively eroding the value of going to see a movie. 9.99/mo vs 12.50 a viewing (sounds familiar?)

And @winb83 the take that it takes less effort to go to the movies than to go to planet fitness is pretty ludicrous...in one case you're sitting for 3 hours and the other you're not unless you suck at working out.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
You're ignoring the fact that movie pass doesn't "have" 10 million imaginary subscribers...those subscribers are already going to the movies. In fact they're going so often they're willing to pay for a service rather than as a one off. They're not presenting a new opportunity, they're presenting a way to make captive movie goers actually more laissez faire about when to see a movie because they're effectively eroding the value of going to see a movie. 9.99/mo vs 12.50 a viewing (sounds familiar?)

And @winb83 the take that it takes less effort to go to the movies than to go to planet fitness is pretty ludicrous...in one case you're sitting for 3 hours and the other you're not unless you suck at working out.

none of what you said explains anything. Or maybe I can’t grasp it. 1 person or 100 million. One time or 50. $1 a month or 7000. Every time, the theater gets 17.99 or the full price of the ticket. Nothing is devalued. Nobody is getting the service without paying the theater. Nobody is coming into the theater demanding 9.99. And if they are, they would get told no, go to movie pass, and then the theater would still get 17 anyway. So again. What’s the devalue?

Bro I didn’t invent this in my mind. Everything I type was their exact plan. And they already had 3 million. They wanted more before they executed. So whatever I didn’t factor in, is what they didn’t factor in. But what I typed was their exact game plan

Why MoviePass really failed

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
The RIAA didn't accept music streaming until the business of selling albums was so impacted by piracy that they didn't have a choice.

The movie theaters was against Movie Pass because it was all you can see movies for $9.99. If they got people paying $10+ a pop for tickets why the hell they want them paying $9.99 for all they can see? Even if Movie Pass was paying them full price for the tickets it still was working to devalue the perceived value of a movie ticket. Really though they realized that if they made a Movie Pass like service for double the price they could control the cost and profit. It works for them because it keeps people at their theaters and those people spend money on concessions.

In the end it just lends itself to what I said. The Movie Pass business model wasn't wrong if the cost of movies could be controlled. Who better to control that cost than the theater themselves. Why let some third party do it?
Are you not getting it. The record company got less money from streams than albums. Of course they didn’t want it.

movie industry got zero less dollars from this. ZERO. This would be like streaming costing 9.99 but the label still got 17.99. Would they complain then?

the theater still was in control of pricing as movie pass had to pay the price that the theater set. If they said $30 a ticket, guess what movie pass would have paid them

in fact, they lost more money. If I’m paying 9.99 I’m going to the movies 5 days a week. That’s 5 tickets a week out of me at retail the theater gets. If I gotta pay 17 a ticket. I might go once a month. That’s 17 x 19 times they lost out on full retail ticket.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Are you not getting it. The record company got less money from streams than albums. Of course they didn’t want it.

movie industry got zero less dollars from this. ZERO. This would be like streaming costing 9.99 but the label still got 17.99. Would they complain then?

the theater still was in control of pricing as movie pass had to pay the price that the theater set. If they said $30 a ticket, guess what movie pass would have paid them

in fact, they lost more money. If I’m paying 9.99 I’m going to the movies 5 days a week. That’s 5 tickets a week out of me at retail the theater gets. If I gotta pay 17 a ticket. I might go once a month. That’s 17 x 19 times they lost out on full retail ticket.
I'm talking about why the theaters were against Movie Pass and wouldn't work with them on pricing. Had the theaters not been against Movie Pass then maybe it could have made it further.

Movie theaters knew Movie Pass as it was would end up being an unsustainable business model. They were more than willing to not help the company and watch them die while taking their money. They were also willing to accept on their own terms that the business model of Movie Pass wasn't that bad.

Movie Pass increased traffic to the theaters and likely increased concession sales which is the theater's real money maker. Ultimately though $9.99 a month was too cheap a price for that service. It's like how Best Buy used to sell video games with a service called Gamers Club Unlocked for $48 instead of $60. Word had it the video game publishers didn't like it because it devalued their product day one. Ultimately they ended it. I was a member and it caused me to buy more games than I do now and I shopped way more at Best Buy too. Once is ended I went from spending well over $3500 (Elite Plus customer) a year there to this year under $900 (under Elite which is $1500 a year).

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
I'm talking about why the theaters were against Movie Pass and wouldn't work with them on pricing. Had the theaters not been against Movie Pass then maybe it could have made it further.

Movie theaters knew Movie Pass as it was would end up being an unsustainable business model. They were more than willing to not help the company and watch them die while taking their money. They were also willing to accept on their own terms that the business model of Movie Pass wasn't that bad.

Movie Pass increased traffic to the theaters and likely increased concession sales which is the theater's real money maker. Ultimately though $9.99 a month was too cheap a price for that service. It's like how Best Buy used to sell video games with a service called Gamers Club Unlocked for $48 instead of $60. Word had it the video game publishers didn't like it because it devalued their product day one. Ultimately they ended it. I was a member and it caused me to buy more games than I do now and I shopped way more at Best Buy too. Once is ended I went from spending well over $3500 (Elite Plus customer) a year there to this year under $900 (under Elite which is $1500 a year).
I get what you mean now. :ohhh:

Its me that can’t see what these industries are thinking. Shut up and take the money. You’re gonna let something die that’s making you money, only to copy the same thing and it looses you money. Anybody with a movie pass system is already devaluing their movies but now not getting full price for the same devaluation they fought against.

Best Buy thing really brought it home. Cause Amazon used to do the same thing. Preorders and day 1 was 10% off or something. Literally zero dollars lost for the manufacturer’s of the games, but still made them shut it down. As if any consumer was now demanding Amazon pricing for all games. Nah we was happy and shopped extra there. But now sony got not one but two subscription services to give us devalued gaming at a loss for them.

amazing :mjcry:

capblk

Rookie
Daps
I remember getting a Movie Pass sub for the year at like $80. I'd buy a ticket just to go use the bathroom when I was out and about. Got into the habit of hitting up the 1st show on the weekends, good times. Last 2 months it was damn near impossible to buy a ticket tho

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just got on this in oct when I calculated all the movies i was gonna see from oct-summer and its already paying fir itself. Im bout to see spiderman for the third time…just because why not?

I might jump on this. Alamo froze their unlimited plan and they might not bring it back at all and since movies are coming back out i need a new plan but both regal and amc theaters are far from me. Showcase got one too and thats at ridgehill in yonkers but they dont have an imax

:mjcry:

Ed MOTHEREFFING G

Chances make champions
Daps
Reppin
206 x 734
none of what you said explains anything. Or maybe I can’t grasp it. 1 person or 100 million. One time or 50. $1 a month or 7000. Every time, the theater gets 17.99 or the full price of the ticket. Nothing is devalued. Nobody is getting the service without paying the theater. Nobody is coming into the theater demanding 9.99. And if they are, they would get told no, go to movie pass, and then the theater would still get 17 anyway. So again. What’s the devalue?

Bro I didn’t invent this in my mind. Everything I type was their exact plan. And they already had 3 million. They wanted more before they executed. So whatever I didn’t factor in, is what they didn’t factor in. But what I typed was their exact game plan

Why MoviePass really failed
So again...what is the path to profitability for moviepass?